partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 04:23:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116457 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Finding a dance partner
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Finding a dance partner  (Read 7304 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 08:46:34 AM »

it is difficult for both sides for different reason, and it could be area specific, more girls in one area than another. I know of many people who have moved interstate to continue their dancing career. Especially the girls as they  dont have the choice of boys.

I wish more boys were prepared to give it ago...but it will never be equal.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2013, 09:22:44 AM »

True, QPO. It will never be equal.   I have a few dance friends who live in places where there are consistently more guys than gals, but those places are in the minority.  Usually, it's more gals than guys. *sigh*

Dona nobis pacem.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 11:51:06 PM »

I've usually run into people who at least pay lip service to wanting to find an amateur partner.
I would try out if someone good AND local to me offered to try out, but I am not making any effort to find an am partner.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2013, 01:03:22 AM »

I've usually run into people who at least pay lip service to wanting to find an amateur partner.
I would try out if someone good AND local to me offered to try out, but I am not making any effort to find an am partner.

Hi TTD Cheesy

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2013, 03:03:22 AM »

That's cool.  Smiley I guess I've just been hearing from people with one perspective over and over.  I didn't realize that there were other good points of view out there.  It seems that so many people assume that am/am is the ultimate goal.  Undecided

Dona nobis pacem.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 01:42:51 AM »

Interesting that with the latest local am-am competition in the works, people have been making suggestions to me that I should try to find an am partner to dance in that event. Really?
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 01:59:25 AM »

Interesting that with the latest local am-am competition in the works, people have been making suggestions to me that I should try to find an am partner to dance in that event. Really?

well that is not that easy....if it were would you have done so already, but finding a partner with equal ability is not always on your doorstep. It is a big investment financially and emotionally. I know a lot of people who go to PRO/Am dont go back to am/am

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 04:08:06 AM »

well that is not that easy....if it were would you have done so already, but finding a partner with equal ability is not always on your doorstep. It is a big investment financially and emotionally. I know a lot of people who go to PRO/Am dont go back to am/am
tell me about it Tongue Tongue Sad

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 04:08:47 AM »

except I'm one who would happily go back to AM - that's really where I enjoyed dance the most.

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2013, 08:03:52 AM »

For starters, I'm not even looking for an am partner. The suggestions I've been getting are more like "you should do the amateur competition in September with so-and-so - he doesn't have a partner." Never mind that so-and-so is nowhere near my level, or lives over 2 hours away, or both. It's really annoying.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 10:47:54 AM »

For starters, I'm not even looking for an am partner. The suggestions I've been getting are more like "you should do the amateur competition in September with so-and-so - he doesn't have a partner." Never mind that so-and-so is nowhere near my level, or lives over 2 hours away, or both. It's really annoying.
It would be if you are not interested.

OTOH I'd take either Undecided - ship them over here will you Roll Eyes

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2013, 06:39:26 PM »

Well they obviously enjoy your dancing. that they want to see you on the floor, but your levels much be matched, the only way you go back to a lower level is for love (or that person). We have a girl here that has done that.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2013, 07:40:12 PM »

One way Q, but not the only way. 

If you are a woman and want to dance AM you often have to compromise to find a partner. One such compromise is to dance with someone with far less training.

Of course the hazard is that once you dance with them and they come up to your level they look for someone else Tongue

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, 11:15:11 PM »

I know from experience that being a more advanced follower partnered with a considerably less advanced lead can be extremely frustrating. The only person I was willing to have such partnership with was my late husband. Now that he's gone, as long as I have pro-am competition available to me, I will not consider such partnership just for the sake of having an am partner.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2013, 03:33:49 AM »

You are right of course - and there is a limit.  I could not dance with a lead below, say a strong silver.  Its moot though - the only way to compete with such a lead is for him to advance to my level (minimum pre-champ) so he would have to quit competing until he had completed syllabus and learned championship routines.  Most guys would not see that as an option, especially since there are so many available ladies at a closer level (ideally for him that would be someone in advanced gold).

I have to admit to loosing interest in trying to find a partner.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: