partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 02:18:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Finding a dance partner
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Finding a dance partner  (Read 7578 times)
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 10:32:31 PM »

I'm average height. But based on what you're saying I might as well not even bother taking that into account in choosing where I might want to move next, and just look at pro-am options. I have to wait 3-4 years before I can actually move somewhere anyway. My two top picks at the moment are Kansas City and Denver. The next logical choice is greater NYC area (for employment reasons), but I am not very keen on moving back there.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 05:23:40 AM »

why not check them out on dancepartner.com?  The site is very miserly but you can at least look for partners without cost. They have a 'trip' search where you can set the city temporarily as your base.

If you haven't used it it takes a bit of getting used to but its well worth it as they have a lot of selection factors including dance style and level.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 08:40:41 PM »

eternal problem. I wish you all the best in finding someone.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 09:16:03 AM »

Well, one definitely has a greater chance of finding an am partner in the greater NYC area. The dance scene is much bigger there. However, I spent 8 years of my life in its vicinity, IMV it's not a nice area to live in and an increase (but not a guarantee) in am partnership prospects is not worth the trade-off. Even a guarantee of an am-am partnership is not worth it.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 03:01:20 AM »

Well, one definitely has a greater chance of finding an am partner in the greater NYC area. The dance scene is much bigger there. However, I spent 8 years of my life in its vicinity, IMV it's not a nice area to live in and an increase (but not a guarantee) in am partnership prospects is not worth the trade-off. Even a guarantee of an am-am partnership is not worth it.
... but still tempting eh?... Undecided

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 09:37:16 AM »

... but still tempting eh?... Undecided
To relocate to NYC? No. In fact I have already made up my mind that I will stay in Midwest.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2013, 11:21:21 AM »

What an interesting thread  This is the first time that I have heard anyone talk about pro-ams that prefer to stay pro-am because am-am is too much of a pain in the butt.  lol.  That's a perspective I hadn't considered.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 04:32:34 PM »

What an interesting thread  This is the first time that I have heard anyone talk about pro-ams that prefer to stay pro-am because am-am is too much of a pain in the butt.  lol.  That's a perspective I hadn't considered.

there are a lot of them - they are dedicated, competetive, independent  (and usually rich).  But you don't wanna mess witih these mammas... Cheesy

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 05:21:07 PM »

I've usually run into people who at least pay lip service to wanting to find an amateur partner.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 05:51:39 PM »

I've usually run into people who at least pay lip service to wanting to find an amateur partner.
no lip service here Undecided Undecided

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 06:36:42 PM »

Yeah.  I would think that looking for an am partner is more common.  I was actually quite surprised to hear that there are people who don't want the hassle of an amateur partnership.

Dona nobis pacem.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2013, 01:27:10 AM »

Depending on your partner it can be a great experience or a pain-in-the-ass.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 01:58:26 AM »

Depending on your partner it can be a great experience or a pain-in-the-ass.

That makes sense.   I'd just never heard anyone tell that side of the story before. Cool

Dona nobis pacem.
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 06:46:36 AM »

This is a bit off tangent - but since we are talking about pain in the ass for am/am partnerships...

I think being a good partner is a learning process (not the dancing skills. But the whole bunch of interpersonal/communication skills), or a trial of failures. We learn and hopefully become a better partner for the next partner. It is kinda like dating. You learn through each relationship.

I could see that having a pro partner solves alot of problem - less drama, to start with...unless you start one as a student. Less argument, which equals to more time focusing on dancing. And much less work to go through to find a pro partner than to find an am partner (from what I have read, if you start dancing as an adult, actually, after college, and if you are a female, basically you can throw the whole idea of finding an am partner outa the window...almost).

I think as far as inter-partner things go, it could reduce to lower level - it is sorta a learning experience, imho.

I could see that "practicing" with your pro could be far more efficient in terms of work done per hour rate, since (hopefully) you only have to work on yourself, instead of two people both trying to figure out what went wrong. But for me, unless the efficiency is 4~8 times higher than practicing with an am, I would stick to an am. Beside, I am a male, I am suppose to have better luck to find a partner Tongue.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 06:53:40 AM »

I could see that having a pro partner solves alot of problem - less drama, to start with...unless you start one as a student. Less argument, which equals to more time focusing on dancing. And much less work to go through to find a pro partner than to find an am partner (from what I have read, if you start dancing as an adult, actually, after college, and if you are a female, basically you can throw the whole idea of finding an am partner outa the window...almost)..

I agree to what you've said, but especiallt this.  Good partners are hard to find.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: