partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 03:59:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Comp exhibitions during socials
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Comp exhibitions during socials  (Read 1166 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 03:47:18 PM »

I think I misunderstood the original topic. I thougt cornutt was suggesting that studios schedule a short competition round during a social.   To me,that's different than scheduling a showdance or two during the evening.

I've seen many,if not most studios that I attend,schedule a showdance during socials. I like the practice as long as it's not overdone.  It's good for the students and everyone gets their turn eventually.

As for running competition rounds, I think that could work, as well, and might actually alleviate any problems from having both competitive and social dancers on the floor at the same time.

there's a topic here somewhere on grass-roots comps - encouraging comps at the social level without the same technical expectations or rules.  I think it could be a lot of fun...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 09:27:47 AM »

I think an informal jack and jill type structure might make it more fun (at least for some people.)

For those who don't know, a jack and jill is where each couple is comprised of a random pairing of people who've volunteered to compete. In the swing world, names are often literally drawn from a hat.  the downside is that the comp would be strictly lead follow and the results would be unpredictable. If I understand correctly, you can enter at your level of proficiency -- bronze, silver, gold, open, etc.  But you have no control over who your partner will be. 

The upside is that everyone gets to dance, regardless of whether they have a partner.  If there aren't enough leads, for example, the available leads get recycled until all the follows have had a chance to dance.  Much fun is had by all.

There was a long and boring discussion over on DF recently in which someone used to swing but unused to ballroom decided that the whole pro-am world would be better if pro-am comps were converted to jack and jill.   Uhh ... that shows their ignorance about how pro-am works, especially as regards to money. lol.   But that's another subject.

Long story short, I think that informal jack and jill competitions between studio-mates at similar levels could be a fun way to introduce competition in a lower stress atmosphere.

Another fun way that I have competed in the past has been in intra-studio team competitions. A studio I used to attend was one of three studios owned by the same family.  Once a a year, they would rent a large, centrally located venue, bus their students in from all three locations, and have a team match.  Oh!  That was a total hoot! 

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 09:46:40 AM »

And back to what cornutt actually suggested -- if I understand correctly, an interval during ballroom dance socials in which there's a mini-competition -- I think these could be great fun, if they were kept very short.

Non-competitive dancers come in all stripes.  Some are interested in watching competitive dance.  Some are not; they just want to dance.  So taking too large a chunk out of a two-hour dance might backfire, kinda like taking too large a chunk of a partner dance for line dances might.

If I were a dance organizer who wanted to try this idea, I'd tread very carefully until I saw how people reacted.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 11:21:57 AM »

And back to what cornutt actually suggested -- if I understand correctly, an interval during ballroom dance socials in which there's a mini-competition -- I think these could be great fun, if they were kept very short.

qv grass-roots comps on PDO Wink

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 08:14:46 PM »

I've read through all those threads and responded to a couple of them and think that they're different from what cornutt suggested.  In my mind, grassroots comps are like the ones sponsored by USA Dance and some college teams (and to some extent Q's organization)  Inexpensive.  Accessible.  Run by volunteers for the love of dance rather than profit,  But a full comp in every other way. (Except in some cases the costumes aren't as fancy.  Grin  )

What I understand cornutt to have referred to is inserting a mini-comp into a social.

In my mind, those are two very different things.  Cool

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 08:17:48 PM »

Elise suggested in the sharing-the-floor topic that it would be nice if socials would announce the occasional dance as being intended for competitive couples.  I like the basic idea, but I have an alternate suggestion that avoids anyone getting the idea that they aren't welcome on the floor (I know that's not the intent, but it always comes across to someone that way). 

We have a break of 10 minutes or so between hours during our socials, and sometimes we let people who want to try out their show routines in front of an audience dance them during the break.  We could do the same thing except make it like a comp heat (no judges of course) with four or five couples running through their comp routines.  So it's an exhibition, but a comp exhibition.  If it's done during the break period, than everyone else gets the message that they should sit back and enjoy, without anyone getting their feelings hurt.  It gives the competitive dancers a chance to stretch out a bit without running the risk of knocking anyone down, and usually the less experienced dancers enjoy the experience of watching it live.  (HDTV notwithstanding, watching it on TV isn't quite the same.)  And it would benefit the newbies by showing them a bit about how a comp works; an announcer could explain a bit about what's going to happen and what to watch for.  Do say two dances, 60-90 seconds of one category (e.g., waltz and foxtrot, or ECS and WCS).  Couples who wanted to could even bring their comp outfits and change into them for the exhibition. 

This is why I wouldn't call what cornutt was talking about a grass roots comp.  Heck, on second or third reading, it's not even a comp he's talking about.  He's talking about an exhibition... which I still think is a great idea. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: