partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 07:12:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  2011 Best of the Best Dancesport Challenge
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2011 Best of the Best Dancesport Challenge  (Read 761 times)
pruthe
Bronze

« on: February 18, 2011, 08:50:51 AM »

PDO Community:

For those of you who are interested in participating in the 2011 Best of the Best Dancesport Challenge, here is part of an email notice that was recently sent out.

---

*** Breaking News ***

There’s an exciting new prospect for Best of the Best Dancesport competitors in 2011. The Grand Finale winners at the Bronze, Silver, and Gold levels will be asked to make an encore performance of their winning dances on Friday evening at the 2011 Ohio Star Ball. What better way to recognize the winning Best of the Best Dancesport performances than to be shown in the Friday evening events at the 2011 Ohio Star Ball.

Be sure to visit the Best of the Best Dancesport web site to see which Best of the Best competition is the right one for you!

http://www.BestoftheBestDancesport.com

---

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 01:23:04 PM »

And so they should - was there any pro-am in the evening program at OSB last year?  Seems churlish to have P-As funding the comp and then exclude them from the highlights...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 02:44:57 PM »

And so they should - was there any pro-am in the evening program at OSB last year?  Seems churlish to have P-As funding the comp and then exclude them from the highlights...

Don't know if any Pro/Ams in last year's Fri/Sat evening events (was pretty packed), but I know they had done so in previous years, especially when still on PBS. Btw, had to look c-word up on computer dictionary. Thanks for providing new word of the day. :-)

A.S.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 03:46:33 PM »

Don't know if any Pro/Ams in last year's Fri/Sat evening events (was pretty packed), but I know they had done so in previous years, especially when still on PBS. Btw, had to look c-word up on computer dictionary. Thanks for providing new word of the day. :-)

Cheesy

[And I'm sure you are not being blandiloquent.]

pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 07:12:43 PM »

Cheesy

[And I'm sure you are not being blandiloquent.]

Response from laptop computer dictionary to "blandiloquent".

NO ENTRIES FOUND.

Grin

A.S.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 08:49:01 PM »

blandiloquent (2008-03-22)

Part of Speech: adjective

Pronunciation: [blæn-'di-lê-qwênt]

Definition: Smooth-talking, honey-tongued; flattering.

Usage: When today's word was last used, it, too, had acquired the pejorative sense of "smooth-talking," "Some blandiloquent used-car salesman convinced Millicent to buy a 1986 Chevy with 150,000 miles on it." However, since we must revive it, we might just as well revive it as a neutral term, "Bridget is so easily attracted to blandiloquent men that we don't let her go out with subscribers to yourDictionary's Word of the Day."

Suggested Usage: Today's word is another tottering on the brink of extinction—most dictionaries have already given up on it. The Oxford English Dictionary has retained the noun, "blandiloquence," and an adjectival cousin, "blandiloquous." We need to retain this word, however, if for no other reason than it sounds better than "smooth-talking."

Etymology: Today's is another case of lexical larceny by Mother English, this time of Latin blandiloquentia "smooth-talking," a compound composed of blandus "soft" + loquor "to talk," whose verbal noun is loquentia "talking, talk." Oddly enough, the PIE root underlying bland- is *mol- "soft" (cf. Italian molle "soft") in the usual three ablaut flavors, including *mel- and *ml-. The word-initial combination [ml] sometimes became [bl] in Latin and Greek, hence Latin "blandus" with a suffix –nd. In Greek we find malakos "soft," in Serbian, mlad "young," and in Russian molodoy "young." English inherited this root through the Germanic languages as "melt" and "mild."

source: http://www.yourdictionary.com/wotd/blandiloquent   Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 11:15:55 PM »

Thanks Q Cheesy

pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 12:02:36 AM »

Wow, thanks Q. Great description of b-word. Two new words in one day ... I'm impressed!. Btw, didn't mean to imply in my previous post that E's b-word wasn't a real word. More to show my laptop computer dictionary is limited in number of words it knows. Thanks again Q & E.

A.S.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 05:26:17 AM »

Wow, thanks Q. Great description of b-word. Two new words in one day ... I'm impressed!. Btw, didn't mean to imply in my previous post that E's b-word wasn't a real word. More to show my laptop computer dictionary is limited in number of words it knows. Thanks again Q & E.

Have to admit I searched for that one - seemed too good to pass up.  In the process I found a bunch of amazing words 'one who admires women's bossoms'; 'one who eats frogs' etc.  I just lost the link though!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: