partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 01:13:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  The line-up. What do you think about?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: The line-up. What do you think about?  (Read 3136 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: February 16, 2011, 03:46:27 PM »

This applies to any dancesport style  (standard, latin, smooth, rhythm, showdance whatever) - just match it to your own.

Its 9 pm.  Your heat is the one before the Professionals who are competing in the same style you are - so the room is packed, the fancy lights are on, the best judges in the world are lined up and ready - the excitement is intense.   You made it to the final and are standing in the doorway waiting to walk on and dance. 

What do you think about?  How do you prepare yourself for this experience so that you will dance your best?  Can you deal with the pressure?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:15:36 PM »

Everyone there, nobody there, top Pros there it is all the same to me.  I am almost emotionless about it I think.  I get a bit bored and start to look for something to do which usually ends up fixing up my partners bowtie, jacket or what have you.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:17:10 PM by Rugby » Logged

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 11:25:20 PM »

oh.  Lucky you!

I'm trying to get to that - obviously thats the place to be...

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 03:28:04 AM »

I am always happy just to BE in the final---usually ends up being my best round. I just focus on the person I am dancing with. But I always exhale deeeply before going on the floor---and look down at my foot touching the wood before I step out,
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:07:57 AM »

...and look down at my foot touching the wood before I step out,
..love it Smiley

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 09:32:21 AM »

I've thought about this a lot - stemming from a terrible case of performance anxiety (why someone with that seeks out performance is another question).  I found a good solution - going into my own world and thinking about the audience and my performance - banishing the competition and also any other competitors (including DP).  I listen to the music from the previous heat and move to it to start the expression.

I say good not great because I still had a problem.  When we danced DP would complain that I was too active and not waiting for his lead.  The prep was making this worse if anything since I went on the floor in my own mind and not in one that was prepared to respond. 

I read a topic on a violin forum where the musician (an up and coming violin performer) described his ascent from ordinary to exceptional - and it was tied up with meditation.  I used to fool around a lot with self hypnosis/meditation (a long time ago) but still have the means to relax my mind.  What I tried was immediately before going on (while standing in the line) I relax entirely and go very cool so that I will be very open to my partner when I start to dance.  This has made an amazing difference.  Its stopped me being over-active and made me a much better follower.  I wish I could get DP to try the same thing but he reacts to it saying that he is already relaxed.  But its not really about relaxation - its about focus, focus on the dance to the exclusion of everything else.

ee

samina
Silver

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 12:33:35 PM »

This applies to any dancesport style  (standard, latin, smooth, rhythm, showdance whatever) - just match it to your own.

Its 9 pm.  Your heat is the one before the Professionals who are competing in the same style you are - so the room is packed, the fancy lights are on, the best judges in the world are lined up and ready - the excitement is intense.   You made it to the final and are standing in the doorway waiting to walk on and dance. 

What do you think about?  How do you prepare yourself for this experience so that you will dance your best?  Can you deal with the pressure?

great scenario, great questions!

have been there. wonderful feeling. "it was all supposed to lead to this moment...the work's been done, there's nothing left to do but do it. let's go have fun. i can do this...." is the general family of thoughts i've chosen at those moments.

it's a bit like jumping out of a plane. once you've jumped, the thoughts of anticipation leave you because you've already jumped. Smiley
samina
Silver

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 12:34:08 PM »

...and look down at my foot touching the wood before I step out,
..love it Smiley
*excellent*
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 12:48:29 PM »

great scenario, great questions!

have been there. wonderful feeling. "it was all supposed to lead to this moment...the work's been done, there's nothing left to do but do it. let's go have fun. i can do this...." is the general family of thoughts i've chosen at those moments.

it's a bit like jumping out of a plane. once you've jumped, the thoughts of anticipation leave you because you've already jumped. Smiley

I'm seriously jealous.   I've managed to get from 'I'm going to die' to 'I'm going to be OK' but it takes two heats before I get to the 'I' dying to get out there' stage Cheesy

Becca
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 08:21:52 PM »

I usually just think about how happy I am to be there! I also really like to talk to the other competitors before the heat! The dance (competition) world is so small... so we see (relatively) the same groups of people all the time... I remember many of the girls i've competed against, so I like to say Hi and to wish them good luck! We all dance because we love it, and being friendly relaxes people Smiley LOL I always think it's so strange/funny when they pretend they don't know/ remember you... when you've competed against them many times.... *shrug...

There is ALWAYS a reason to dance! Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 09:27:25 PM »

...I always think it's so strange/funny when they pretend they don't know/ remember you... when you've competed against them many times.... *shrug...

I know what you mean - I was on the pro-am circuit for a while and I see the same thing in AM.  For some dancers winning isn't the object it truly is the only thing (to paraphrase was it Vince Lombardi - a phrase I detest).  The thing is to take solace in that you are able to enjoy the event so much more.  I am having a wonderful time building up friends amongst our competitors - as you say, you get to see them at all the local competitions at least.

GreenEyes26
Mind Workers
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 12:50:06 PM »

At first, I think like elisedance: "I'm going to die!"
Then, I think like Becca: "I'm so happy to be here!"
But then I go back to, "I'm going to die!" until I step on the floor, when I think like what samina described:

and my mind goes blank until the music begins.

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 02:13:45 PM »

Sam, thats a terrific line.... and you know, thats how I am now too but it was not always thus.  I used to feel like I was going to jump out of the plane onto the dance floor - once achieved, I had to jump out of a plane to make connection, then jump out of hte plane to take a step (and so forth Undecided )

samina
Silver

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 02:16:10 PM »

Sam, thats a terrific line.... and you know, thats how I am now too but it was not always thus.  I used to feel like I was going to jump out of the plane onto the dance floor - once achieved, I had to jump out of a plane to make connection, then jump out of hte plane to take a step (and so forth Undecided )
It sounds like the last couple years have marked big improvements for you in a lot of ways!

BTW...have you ever jumped out of a plane? Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 02:26:56 PM »

BTW...have you ever jumped out of a plane? Smiley

Not physically... (in a dream) but I do seem to recall that you did it...

I hope it does not become a dancesport requirement Shocked

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: