partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 12:49:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  The line-up. What do you think about?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: The line-up. What do you think about?  (Read 2928 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 02:28:15 PM »

it's a bit like jumping out of a plane. once you've jumped, the thoughts of anticipation leave you because you've already jumped. Smiley

Sam, thats a terrific line.... and you know, thats how I am now too but it was not always thus.  I used to feel like I was going to jump out of the plane onto the dance floor - once achieved, I had to jump out of a plane to make connection, then jump out of hte plane to take a step (and so forth Undecided )
It sounds like the last couple years have marked big improvements for you in a lot of ways!

Amazing.  Nice to know that getting older does not mean you can't continue to grow and learn at the same pace...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
samina
Silver

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 02:29:39 PM »

nice dream to have! did you enjoy it? Cheesy

yes, i did do. but comps & comp lineups IME are far more exhilaharating, lolz. i mean, so you jump out of a plane. you don't really have to look good doing it... or maintain any sense of stamina to achieve it.

ETA: and no one is watching... unless you *splat* on the ground, lolz.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:04:07 PM by samina » Logged
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 03:35:51 PM »

BTW...have you ever jumped out of a plane? Smiley

Not physically... (in a dream) but I do seem to recall that you did it...

I hope it does not become a dancesport requirement Shocked
Please don't suggest that to my coach: it might just become a requirement for me.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 09:17:11 PM »

BTW...have you ever jumped out of a plane? Smiley

Not physically... (in a dream) but I do seem to recall that you did it...

I hope it does not become a dancesport requirement Shocked
Please don't suggest that to my coach: it might just become a requirement for me.

Lessee, where's my address book... hmmm... oh, and bungee jumping, thats very good for you too...

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 11:58:21 PM »

Yeah, but then you don't care anymore.   Grin
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 03:54:20 AM »

Yeah, but then you don't care anymore.   Grin

Nonsense - we are dancers, we will splat with grace and pizzaz!

cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 10:19:38 AM »

I learned an important lesson from Carlos Santana. It a documentary about Woodstock the interviewer posed the same question to him: here you are, at the time more or less playing in bars and you get the chance to play Woodstock. It's your first big concert gig and you walk out on stage and there are 500,000 people. Yet you played flawlessly and showed no nerves, how did you do it?"

He replied, to the effect that: "Our band was a jazz band. When we played we would form a circle and play for each other. So you notice on the stage at Woodstock we did the same thing - we formed a circle and played for our friends and fellow musicians - each other".

When I dance in competition I try to do the same thing. I imagine my partner and I are simply practicing. I try to enjoy the moment, make eye contact with some ppl but most of all enjoy myself dancing with this fantastic dancer in my arms.

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 11:31:38 AM »

I think Carlos had it right.

When I first competed in riding I was so worried about what my coaches, fellow riders and spectators thought about my performance that I would be nervous.  This went right to my horse and now both of us were worried and we would not perform well.  I then realized that I was competing not for them but for me.  As long as I did my best and took care of my horse and lead him properly then I did my job and would let the chips fall where they may.  My horse picked up on this and he became calm too and we performed better and better.

In dancing I think the same.  I don't care what my teachers, fellow competitors or audience thinks of my dancing as I do it for my parter and I.  As long as both have us have put forth a good effort I am happy regardless of the result.  Then we must have no expectations from ourselves but to do what we can with what we have.  I have lost and been happy but I also have won many times and walked away feeling like a loser.  It is not the trophy but how I felt about our dancing that counts and what will be remembered.  This weekend our expectations are to see if we can get through the new routines.  We have not danced them through together or to music so the challenge is to see how far we can get and that is also what is fun.  It gives us a challenge for ourselves.  If we win or lose is second to that. 

By not worrying about what the others are thinking or doing you don't get nervous.  Let's face it two years later half are going to be gone and you will be lucky to even remember their names anyways so why let what they think matter so much.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 11:37:18 AM »

What I do have to deal with is breaking out in uncontrolled laughing if we screw up too much.  I just think how insanely wild it is and I start to laugh.  Standard is easier as I don't have to look at my partner but if we go totally retarded in Latin and I look at him then that's it, I'll lose it.  The good thing is the harder I laugh my eyes begin to water so at least the judges will think I am crying and have mercy on me.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2011, 11:38:49 AM »

When I dance in competition I try to do the same thing. I imagine my partner and I are simply practicing. I try to enjoy the moment, make eye contact with some ppl but most of all enjoy myself dancing with this fantastic dancer in my arms.
Amazing sentiment, and my ultimate goal!  Cool  I still get distracted and that ruins the performance. 
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2011, 11:45:45 AM »

In dancing I think the same.  I don't care what my teachers, fellow competitors or audience thinks of my dancing as I do it for my parter and I.  As long as both have us have put forth a good effort I am happy regardless of the result.  Then we must have no expectations from ourselves but to do what we can with what we have.  I have lost and been happy but I also have won many times and walked away feeling like a loser.  It is not the trophy but how I felt about our dancing that counts and what will be remembered.  This weekend our expectations are to see if we can get through the new routines.  We have not danced them through together or to music so the challenge is to see how far we can get and that is also what is fun.  It gives us a challenge for ourselves.  If we win or lose is second to that. 

By not worrying about what the others are thinking or doing you don't get nervous.  Let's face it two years later half are going to be gone and you will be lucky to even remember their names anyways so why let what they think matter so much.   
You just described my highest aspirations Rugby.  I couldn't describe it so well even if I tried.  I remember a competition from last year which by far is has stuck in my head more than any other.  Funny thing is, the same competition the year before that (and the year before that) we won two of the three events we danced in.  However, both years we walked away feeling like losers 'cause I wasn't happy with my partner, she wasn't happy with me, neither one of us were happy with our dancing, and I couldn't stand to watch the video or look at any of the pictures.  The next year, we were 2nd and 3rd mostly but it was the most fun we ever had on a competition floor.  A year later it still feels like we won.  Every time I look at the pictures I relive that same joy.  So I don't have the ribbon or medal to backup my win, but every time I think of the competition I have to remind myself that I in fact did NOT win that competition even 'though it still feels like I did.
GreenEyes26
Mind Workers
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 01:23:34 PM »

Then we must have no expectations from ourselves but to do what we can with what we have.  I have lost and been happy but I also have won many times and walked away feeling like a loser.  It is not the trophy but how I felt about our dancing that counts and what will be remembered.  This weekend our expectations are to see if we can get through the new routines.  We have not danced them through together or to music so the challenge is to see how far we can get and that is also what is fun.  It gives us a challenge for ourselves.  If we win or lose is second to that. 

Beautiful... Thank you for that.

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2011, 03:21:38 PM »

But you did win SG.  That's the beauty of it.  You won't remember what dusty old trophy you got at the comp and neither will your competitors but you will remember the elation you felt. 

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 03:36:05 PM »

Don't let trying to impress everyone around you destroy your dancing or your relationship with your partner.  Sure we all want to win but it can drive us to the point of being angry with ourselves or our partners all the time and make dancing more like a job then a joy.  I like to think that I am happy with what my partner can do rather than what he can't. At one comp we won all our events but what I was happy about was not the wins, since we both walked away feeling that they were very undeserved, but that my partner was able to make up the dances as he went along and I pretty much followed it all (even if I had to do some faking the steps here and there).  Can you really ask for more than that!  A trophy can't come close to having that feeling!!  That was such a huge accomplishment that I was very proud of him.  If we came last I would have still felt this way and before the awards were handed out I told him this. 

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 03:59:33 PM »

Remember back in high school when what our peers thought was so important that we did some really, really dumb and a bit too daring stuff to impress them?  I was nearly paralyzed from the neck down trying to impress a guy that I was madly in love with.  Granted he looked like a Greek God so who could blame me but I'm degressing here.  What? Oh no, don't even try and tell me that you don't know what I'm talking about.  For those of you still in school read and learn.

Anyway, you look back and think you must have been crazy to dress that way or do those things to try and fit in or stand out to your friends or people around you. You probably barely even remember them now if you didn't have a Yearbook yet you let them influence you to do or not do things or behave in a certain way.  Somebody should have smacked some sense into you back then (your poor parents probably tried) but you were too influenced to listen to them or yourself.

Think about it.  Are you now doing the same thing in dancing and down the road you will look back and think how stupid you were for feeling or doing or fighting about things that in the light of day were trivial?  Win sure, but don't do it at a cost that you will be paying for for a long time to come. 

Like I've said about ten times on here.  People seriously won't remember down the road what you have won or lost but they will remember the person you were doing it.  Will they say he/she was a great person or will they say he/she was an egotistical braggart that stepped on people and was a jerk to their partner to win?  People may be nice to your face but it is what they say when you walk away that matters.

So, all this long post is saying is learn from your past and don't make the same mistakes. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: