partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 04:26:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  competitor? performer? expressor?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: competitor? performer? expressor?  (Read 2449 times)
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 03:13:37 PM »

I sound so New-Age or something with my most recent posts, lol  Undecided
I found myself thinking, "that's why you're here GreenEyes26".  Just thought I'd share.

What's more interesting to me is that what I used to consider "New-Age" is actually not. 

I would agree, its just an acknowledge of things other than the pure rational

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
samina
Silver

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 03:20:07 PM »

I sound so New-Age or something with my most recent posts, lol  Undecided
I found myself thinking, "that's why you're here GreenEyes26".  Just thought I'd share.

What's more interesting to me is that what I used to consider "New-Age" is actually not. 

I would agree, its just an acknowledge of things other than the pure rational
i agree. i assert many things that might be categorized as "new age" as well... but i absolutely do not associate with that categorization.
GreenEyes26
Mind Workers
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 01:16:06 PM »

But I ask: why do you have to do dancesport for 'knowledge and awareness'; while I undertand working on the dance part, I don't see where the sport comes in?

Finally remembering to check the "notify me of replies" box :-/.

That's a really good question, elisedance: do mean the competitive aspect? If so, this is how I think of it:

1) Competition keeps me involved in the ballroom dialogue. I see the various styles and techniques of dancers more frequently. As I develop more awareness of dancing, I can question what they do, why they do it, why they look better, and why they win. Competition keeps active and engaged.

2) Competition drives me to do better by setting time limits and forcing me to make goals. It's true that I don't need competition to do these things, but I like to give my will-power and distracted brain some help whenever possible Smiley.

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 02:03:24 PM »

But I ask: why do you have to do dancesport for 'knowledge and awareness'; while I undertand working on the dance part, I don't see where the sport comes in?

Finally remembering to check the "notify me of replies" box :-/.

That's a really good question, elisedance: do mean the competitive aspect? If so, this is how I think of it:

1) Competition keeps me involved in the ballroom dialogue. I see the various styles and techniques of dancers more frequently. As I develop more awareness of dancing, I can question what they do, why they do it, why they look better, and why they win. Competition keeps active and engaged.

2) Competition drives me to do better by setting time limits and forcing me to make goals. It's true that I don't need competition to do these things, but I like to give my will-power and distracted brain some help whenever possible Smiley.

See, I'd like to be able to answer as you do but the honest part of me knows that winning is not only an inducement to do better but also its own reward.  It is satisfying to outperform others - I even suspect that its built into at least my genes - they are such fundamental sensations - the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.  I think everyone can at least relate to them but doesn't everyone also feel them?

Perhaps I'm a bit skeptical... Undecided

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
GreenEyes26
Mind Workers
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 09:32:46 PM »

See, I'd like to be able to answer as you do but the honest part of me knows that winning is not only an inducement to do better but also its own reward.  It is satisfying to outperform others - I even suspect that its built into at least my genes - they are such fundamental sensations - the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.  I think everyone can at least relate to them but doesn't everyone also feel them?

I won't deny it - I love winning, too. I think "BOO YAH! I won - check it," when I get a nice ribbon...especially when I beat a friendly rival  Wink. But winning isn't primary for me - it's secondary. I can totally empathize with you on the thrill and agony, but maybe I don't experience them to the extent that you do. When asked what my single, core driving force to dance and compete is, it is to seek body awareness and better myself.

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2011, 11:22:40 PM »

I won't deny it - I love winning, too. I think "BOO YAH! I won - check it," when I get a nice ribbon...especially when I beat a friendly rival  Wink. But winning isn't primary for me - it's secondary. I can totally empathize with you on the thrill and agony, but maybe I don't experience them to the extent that you do. When asked what my single, core driving force to dance and compete is, it is to seek body awareness and better myself.

That seems to relate more.  And its certainly not all about winning for me eihter - but my alternatives are not the same, they are more about performing and being appreciated both by the audience and my partner...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2011, 08:14:44 PM »

I go out on the floor to express myself to the music that is being offered. I do not worry about anyone else as I cannot watch them I don't know what they are doing. so I have to do the very best I can.

If I worried about others it is quite possible I would not get on the floor as there will always be dancers that are much better than me.....(which is another thread)   so I do all of the above...compete, perform and express.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: