partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 04:28:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116513 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Dance to compete, or compete to dance?
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Dance to compete, or compete to dance?  (Read 1608 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 01:29:58 AM »

Doesn't that affect your dancing prospects though - even pro-am has rules there (though I don't know who enforces them - though you could be outed at a comp).

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 02:30:23 AM »

Good luck EM but ee is right, if you are going to compete don't take the chance of teaching or you may void your chances of competing.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 12:16:32 AM »

if you teach you would have to become professional here in australia. there are a few loopholes ie. assisting a qualified coach....we dont have lots of competitors  from the chain networks as we only compete with the international style.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
GreenEyes26
Mind Workers
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 11:25:12 AM »

Compete to dance. Competition pushes me to do better. If I didn't have it, I may end up in my own "oh this is nice" cloud-dance world.

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 12:19:34 PM »

I missed this thread!  I'm sad because I would've wanted to see what I posted here a while back.  I would've definitely said "dance to compete". Now it's completely the opposite.  Funny how people can change! 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 02:06:17 PM »

I feel the same - but I am not sure to what extent sour grapes kicks in: I mean if I was at the point of a national championship or more would I say the same?  I don't think I would so there is an SG factor...

Oops - that truly was a total coincidence, but having written it I can't just delete it without getting a laugh Roll Eyes

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 02:18:14 PM »

I think the SG factor only kicks in if you think you couldn't achieve what you set out to do and you settle for something less.  Oh, and I owe you an  Tongue
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 02:31:10 PM »

I think the SG factor only kicks in if you think you couldn't achieve what you set out to do and you settle for something less.  Oh, and I owe you an  Tongue

[I think I got off easy - was kinda expecting the :kick in the pants: emoticon....]

But what is less?  I suppose with a great attitude nothing is really 'less' and yet if you were given the choice of that which you have made to be 'more' vs that which could have been 'more' you still might choose the latter.  If you know what I mean at this point [in which case you are probably Chair of Philosopy at the Dalai Lama School of New Age Buddism...

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 03:32:21 PM »

But what is less?  I suppose with a great attitude nothing is really 'less' and yet if you were given the choice of that which you have made to be 'more' vs that which could have been 'more' you still might choose the latter.  If you know what I mean at this point [in which case you are probably Chair of Philosopy at the Dalai Lama School of New Age Buddism...
Well, if I was on the path I used to be on and I was dancing to compete, then yes, changing to "compete to dance" would be what you'd consider less.  When I switched paths, competition became a none factor.  However, it's still an amazing proving ground to see if I really can "dance".  So now I compete to see if I know how to dance.  I know it sounds like the SG factor but it can't be SG if my results are improving could it?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 09:15:42 PM »

Well, if I was on the path I used to be on and I was dancing to compete, then yes, changing to "compete to dance" would be what you'd consider less.  When I switched paths, competition became a none factor.  However, it's still an amazing proving ground to see if I really can "dance".  So now I compete to see if I know how to dance.  I know it sounds like the SG factor but it can't be SG if my results are improving could it?
Don't know, I don't think anyone can answer that question except you...

Perhaps if you won a major competition - how would you react?  I know I would be over the moon and proud.  I'm not really proud of that but its true so I can't avoid it.  If you would see that just the same as improving from the quarter final to the semi then maybe its not the SG factor....

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: