partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 07:59:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Floorcraft
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Floorcraft  (Read 2697 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 01:52:56 AM »

I think floorcraft will be a hot topic always. V (as in Vagabond) and I went dancing last night and anytime there is a modern section on boy it is a challenge, but I think his manovering skills are improving greatly....seem to have less issues, but stopping and avoiding is also getting better. so by the time we are on the comp floor with several others he will be a pro.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 09:16:25 PM »

Part of it is knowing something about the other dancers on the floor.  There are a few couples at our studio that I've learned to give a very wide berth, because at  any given moment, you never know what they are going to do.  There are a couple of others who know better, but they can't seem to stop themselves from dancing "big" when the floor is very crowded.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 07:51:27 AM »

then there are the ones who only have one very angular routine and get angry if you are in their way....
its tempting to tease them by stopping but you are risking your life...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Blue Tango
Bronze

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 11:45:45 PM »

When I was relatively new there was this male pro who helped me a lot even though I wasn't his student, probably because there were so few of us male dedicated students.  One thing he would do was to play 'tag' with me... during his lessons with his ladies he would maneuver them near me and just tap me 'en passant'.  At first I was so very startled, but I got used to it and eventually I learned to see him coming from my peripheral vision and sometimes even avoid him.  Smiley  I even started chasing him.  I'm not saying I'm an expert in floorcraft, but I do thank him for pushing me into being more aware on the floor. 
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 12:05:08 AM »

My main teacher used to use chairs Shocked. We would be dancing around practicing and he would be teaching then suddenly a chair would come flying across the floor Shocked Shocked Shocked. If we touch the chair it would cost us 10 pounds each (to his gambling fund) Sad. I was lucky to dance with a partner that could feel the chair coming before it would actually come flying across the floor.  Cheesy

I remember one time asking him how he knew. He laughed and said he could smell it. Cheesy I am sure he used all his senses and higher faculties to know when the chair would be coming.  Grin

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 12:51:12 AM »

My main teacher used to use chairs Shocked. We would be dancing around practicing and he would be teaching then suddenly a chair would come flying across the floor Shocked Shocked Shocked. If we touch the chair it would cost us 10 pounds each (to his gambling fund) Sad. I was lucky to dance with a partner that could feel the chair coming before it would actually come flying across the floor.  Cheesy

I remember one time asking him how he knew. He laughed and said he could smell it. Cheesy I am sure he used all his senses and higher faculties to know when the chair would be coming.  Grin

We could see that coming our way very soon!
And probably patches of oil on the floor to make places suddenly slippery to get me use to it. Cause I fell hard at the weekend comp!  Tongue
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 02:11:01 AM »

I remember one time asking him how he knew. He laughed and said he could smell it. Cheesy

So the secret to floorcraft is smelling other dancers!  I knew it wasn't a good idea to dance with nose plugs...  Grin
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 03:02:27 AM »

Or is that smelling chairs? Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 03:41:07 AM »

Probably, the greatest secret of floorcraft is to not get stuck in patterns, but know the elements of the pattern well enough that one is able to abort/redirect/stop a movement when necessary.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 01:51:39 AM »

Probably, the greatest secret of floorcraft is to not get stuck in patterns, but know the elements of the pattern well enough that one is able to abort/redirect/stop a movement when necessary.

This is what my DP and I have done throughtout our comp careers.  Best thing we have ever learned to do.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Blue Tango
Bronze

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 06:06:25 PM »

Or is that smelling chairs? Roll Eyes

Smelling Chairs sounds like the title of a very strange Indie movie.
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 06:15:45 PM »

Nah, a Seattle grunge/garage band.

Last year at the Stuperman Celebration, they had a Hollywood Ball- a "classy event" with the Jerry Ford Orchestra. We showed up in full ballroom fun regalia... the whole room was morbidly obese and unwashed people in their forties, completely done up in capes and tights.

Of course one just HAD to bring their DARLING little breedling and let her run alll over the eight foot floor (no, it was like ten foot, my bad) while the adults got drunk and flailed around like a cat having a stroke tied to an electric fence all freakin' night long.

I don't like kids. I don't like YOUR kids just because they're YOURS. Keep them off my LOD. GNARGH.,
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2009, 01:39:57 AM »

I agree and for a follower trust the lead to take you somewhere and not panic..afraid I don't have that down pat yet  Undecided

Dance Forum
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2009, 04:30:23 AM »

Indeed. Someone I know and admire...most of the time  Roll Eyes ... has a saying, "One of the most elusive parts of the dance is the movement within the silence". Just another important part of good floorcraft.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 09:20:42 AM »

very wise remarks  Cheesy

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: