partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 07:47:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  About us and Welcome
| |-+  Newcomers (Moderators: QPO, cornutt, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Hi everyone!
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hi everyone!  (Read 757 times)
millitiz
Intermediate Bronze

« on: February 11, 2011, 11:13:53 PM »

Hi everyone!

I've been dancing ballroom for about 4 years from a College dance team. I dance mainly International Standard and Latin.

My current goal is to get done in Pre-champ for both Standard and Latin in three years. And hopefully by then, I could decide which dance to specialize (by the result, or possibly my body).

I think people would categorize me as a Standard person. Probably due to my personality and the fact that I was better in Standard.

I feel that Standard is closer to my brain, and Latin closer to my heart. I like Standard because of its structure, and the fact that, it could be learned as math, or science (Do A,B,C and D. And you can be a great dancer). For the first time, I felt that I was not as horrible in dancing, when I danced in Standard.

On the other hand, I had a love/hate relationship with Latin. I didn't quite get it - I just felt like an idiot when waving my arms. But later on, we change the approach to Latin, and the fact that I grunted my teeth to get through Latin, now I think I am in love withe the dance. I felt the dance to be very expressive, and powerful.

I think I have very different learning curves for my Standard and Latin. For standard, it is relatively a linear, straight line - I could always feel/see the improvement. On the other hand, for Latin, I felt that I will work on a concept for a few months, and basically struggling with it - and one day, boom I go. I would have a quantum leap in terms of my skill.

I really like this forum for its nice organization, and a whole board of techniques/theories.

I am supper excited to participate in this forum!
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 01:29:28 AM »

Welcome and hope you will continue to enjoy the board...it has great technical advise as well as the social component. I look forward to your participation!

We don't have much college dancing in Australia but I hope that will change.....hope more of your  dance colleagues  will join us also.....after 30 posts you will be able to see some wonderful technical advise.

Enjoy!

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 03:10:53 PM »

My current goal is to get done in Pre-champ for both Standard and Latin in three years. And hopefully by then, I could decide which dance to specialize (by the result, or possibly my body).

Hey, thats what I am doing too - trying to get done with prechamp that is - but I'm committed to standard for three simple reasons that first, my DP (dance partner) does not do latin; like you I am naturally a standard girl (I trace it back to a childhood in England not brazil Wink; and finally that my body refuses to do latin anyway.  At my age it starts to groan and creak!

And thanks for the comments on the forum - if you have any suggestions for its iimprovement please do either write me directly or (preferably) post it in our PDO board so everyone can comment.  [We like feedback Wink ]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 10:04:49 PM »

I feel that Standard is closer to my brain, and Latin closer to my heart.

Us Smooth dancers are in touch with our inner schizophrenic.   Grin  Welcome!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: