partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 12:05:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Magic powder
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Magic powder  (Read 1377 times)
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« on: February 11, 2011, 12:30:42 PM »

I remember a big discussion 3 yearss ago when I started dancing, about ppls putting magic powder on the floors to help them turn.

At the time there was quite a hue and cry in the ballroom dance community and dancers were stopped while floors were mopped and strict rules and penalties were put in place.

Well, it's happening to me now in Toronto at a salsa club. The floors are super slippery as someone is seeding them with powder. I find this very dangerous. It makes turning much more difficult for experienced dancers. Does anyone has any other experience around use of magic powder? Conseques and actions taken to curtail such use?

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 07:14:41 PM »

I have never heard of Magic Powder I wonder what that is. I recently went to a dance where a couple put talcum powder al over the floor. It was outrageous and people told them how bad that was and they did not care...but it still got cleaned up.

the other thing I have seen being put on the floor is saw dust! or speed they call it here.  both are not necessary, you find people who do that dance on the top of the floor and not into the floor and as you rightly say it is very dangerous

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:24:26 AM »

the other thing I have seen being put on the floor is saw dust! or speed they call it here.  both are not necessary, you find people who do that dance on the top of the floor and not into the floor and as you rightly say it is very dangerous

Some of the country dancing venues around here used to use sawdust on their floors.  That was not for speed but because the had concrete floors and the sawdust helped cushion it a bit.  However, sawdust is also very flammable.

I agree that a proper floor should not need anything on it. 
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 05:35:56 AM »

I remember a big discussion 3 yearss ago when I started dancing, about ppls putting magic powder on the floors to help them turn.

At the time there was quite a hue and cry in the ballroom dance community and dancers were stopped while floors were mopped and strict rules and penalties were put in place.

Well, it's happening to me now in Toronto at a salsa club. The floors are super slippery as someone is seeding them with powder. I find this very dangerous. It makes turning much more difficult for experienced dancers. Does anyone has any other experience around use of magic powder? Conseques and actions taken to curtail such use?

it should be used in moderation as it polishes up as it gets walkend on; i think its tiny silicon granules--it can turn a sticky floor into an ice rink very quickly. I prefer talk and let people use it by dipping their feet in it rather than do the whole floor.

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 08:24:05 AM »

it should be used in moderation as it polishes up as it gets walkend on; i think its tiny silicon granules--it can turn a sticky floor into an ice rink very quickly. I prefer talk and let people use it by dipping their feet in it rather than do the whole floor.

I think its a good idea.  All the regular dancers will fall over whereas the body school ones will keep dancing as if nothing is amiss... (balance being the key)... Grin (evil grin)

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 09:51:11 AM »

I think its a good idea.  All the regular dancers will fall over whereas the body school ones will keep dancing as if nothing is amiss... (balance being the key)... Grin (evil grin)

i would have to be prepared like the formula drivers are; have the right tyres - in this case shoes- for the conditions

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 10:18:28 AM »

Neither DP nor I brush our shoe soles anymore - we were commenting on it the other day.  Why slow down? Smiley

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 10:37:38 AM »

Neither DP nor I brush our shoe soles anymore - we were commenting on it the other day.  Why slow down? Smiley

let me guess-you just snort them  Grin

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 11:06:23 AM »

If you have balance and are "over your feet" nothing should bother you.... I have taken lessons in sneakers, in parking lots, in socks and bare feet.
This is the "bonus" of a body school dancer- no matter what the surface you just go.

BE REACTIVE!!
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 03:10:10 PM »

I agree good balance and technique is important, but the floor does make a difference.

My partner and I noticed one of the floors over the weekend was very slippery at first, almost a skating rink, and even though we are both agile, fit and athletic it still poses risks. Especially when we're doing mulitple spins and turns.

It was interesting that as the evening progressed and the place got hotter and hotter the floor became more manageable. The wetter the better, in a way.

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 05:18:05 AM »

If you have balance and are "over your feet" nothing should bother you.... I have taken lessons in sneakers, in parking lots, in socks and bare feet.
This is the "bonus" of a body school dancer- no matter what the surface you just go.

BE REACTIVE!!

you obviously havnt seen an experienced salsa dancer slip and brick her wrist....

or feel your partner's foot skid from under her...

or get "wheel spin" when you try to walk forward..

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 07:51:36 AM »

BE REACTIVE!!

you obviously havnt seen an experienced salsa dancer slip and brick her wrist....

or feel your partner's foot skid from under her...

or get "wheel spin" when you try to walk forward..

I guess there is slippery and then there is SLIppe~~~R~~  ~~~Y

I doubt any dancer could dance on wet ice....

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 08:33:51 AM »

I use to fear a slippery floor but I am much better on it. Modern is quite good, NV is different as my balance is not as good as it was prior to the surgery, but i am working on it ans I want it back! Shocked.. I agree with others that being evenly over your own weight is the key.... I practice this everyday!

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: