partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 11:08:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Changes to Routines
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Changes to Routines  (Read 1600 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: February 05, 2011, 09:37:01 PM »

this topic arises from a discussions on the thread "Competition Results of PDOers"

Learning new routines and then having to execute the under pressure when you have only just started to learn them.

we are currently just revamping all our routines to reflect A Grade routines. What we use to do automatically now we have to go back to thinking and getting the timing right. then to have to go out on the dance floor and replicate it. I often wonder how the top class dancers do that, if it is effortless or they also have difficulties.
How soon after revamping routines could you get on the floor and execute them well. we practice 4/5 five days a week currently so we should get them under reasonable control by our first comp in April

what has been others experience dealing with this issue?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 12:37:23 AM »

My partner and I moved up to open routine level here in Canada and took 6 months working through one dance at a time. 10 dances.

It's 9 months later and we have the routines down much more confidently, though I still muff them up occassionally. However, like you, we practice almost every day, each routine, and they are becoming ingrained. Along with the routines we learned evasive maneuvers for each dance, well, actually just a couple of moves really, that we can use if our routine is interrupted and we need a workaround to get us into a recognizable corner and able to launch back into the routine.

My partner insisted we drop our old routines competely. No going back and more incentive to get the new routines under your belt.

One of our teachers seems to come up with stuff on the fly, was always changing our routines and improving them. But it was too much; i no sooner learned a move than it was rejected and replaced by something else. Eventually I asked that the routines be locked and we work on the technique in each until we have them down. Then we change a piece here and there, one at a time, among the routines. I couldn't handle everything changing all the time.

Our strategy in learning all 10 dances, excludsing v waltz, was to learn 2 walls in each dance fiirst. That way we seemed to be making progress through the dances quickly and were able to practice new routines straight away, albeit just two walls. Then we added the other two walls and in quickstep a further two walls for six walls.

Once we had the routines we would dance a simulated competition each week in the studio and during the next lesson our teachers would pick apart something they found particularly offensive LOL! We also come to each class with a list of items we are struggling with. We video tape our lessons, the most important parts anyway and I find this a useful tool. I now have a library of our routines and can go back and review the teacher instructing each peice of the routine, wall by wall. Mans and ladies. I also have a friend videotape us practicing the dances regularly and find what I see on these videos quite helpful and isntructive.

In std most couples focus on waltz and foxtrot so we focussed on tango and quickstep. In latin we left paso till the end.

Now in our lessons we focus simply on technique in each of the dances; thoguh our instructors might drill down into a certian choreography they bring it back to general principles. In std we started with footwork, then body amd top and lastly head.

Don't know if that helps but that's my experience. 

Here is also my experience, although we might flub certain moves and we do, regularly, I think generally the judges aren't looking at your choreography but rather at your general level and technique.Mistakes are forgiveable if generally the judges can see you're on the right track. So, as many others say, it's technique that will get you through in your comps if you make mistakes. That being said we waited until the summer lull in competitions to upgrade our routines. We took six months before we competed again and even then it felt like we were just stratching the surface. I presume now we're at this level our rouintes won't change too much, but simply get better and better as we work on perfecting what we're doing. That's the strategy anyway. I'd rather learn to do one thing really well that learn a bunch of routines but execure them poorly.

That being said now that we have our basic open level routines, we will "improve" them as we advance and get more comfortable and capable at this level. They will evolve.

My partner and I did compete shortly after learning syllabus routines. I felt at the time that it focussed us on practicing hard with that goal in mind. But the jump from syllabus to open routines is a big jump and taking the six months to get all the routines somewhat workable was a good move. I don't think it helps ones cause to show the judges we don't know what we're doing.

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 04:03:40 AM »

Sounds like a great plan to win!  Of course if you go to a new place (say OSB from Ontario) most of the judges have no idea how you got there, just how you dance. 

You guys have made incredible progress in such a short time.  Congrats on all the hard work.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 04:34:43 AM »

Our teacher has used the approach of adding to our basic routine. Starting out with our bronze routine and then adding to silver...so each time the change has been a short side or a long side.

In the end we can dance it to fine the space on the floor. Learning some avoidance steps is next for us... we are learning ourselves to stop and start our routines from every step so we can pick it up without panicking.

Our first comp as I have mentioned is in April and I think by then we should have them under control. It is taking less time to pick up new things. Cheesy

Good approach CSLD

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 08:41:36 PM »

We feel the same way about La Classique. Most of the judges will be impartial and it will be an unbiased look at our dancing. They won't know our competitors have danced for 20 years and me to 2. Should be interesting to see how we do.

Fingers crossed
clinton

~Vicki Baum
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 10:24:18 PM »

A jump to open from syllabus was a large one for us. Subsequent routine changes  kept putting our advancement on hold because we could only practice one day a week and still do to this day. Our problem lies in the distance we are from practice halls, teachers  and each other. In the eleven years I have been competing, I was always impressed with couples who rose quickly through the ranks seemingly memorizing new step patterns and technique in a matter of months and easlily winning out in a matter of a few competitions. My attitude towards many of these rapid-risers changed when I discovered more of their backgrounds. Some come with quite a pedigree especially when younger than adult, others social danced for decades and knew every step from pre-bronze to gold before ever setting foot on the competition floor.   A change to routines and its subsequent result on performance can have as much to do with merely polishing something previously learned as genuine education.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 01:12:56 AM »

cdnsalsanut you have done very well and you have talent and a good look.  I envy your ability to have practice time every day and you certainly will do well doing this and your best bet is to keep this up.   Everyone has their advantages and disadvantages.  A few of the others may have an advantage in that they have competed a long time but you have a huge advantage in that your partner has danced far longer than the majority of them and was a ten dance champion and dance teacher back in her country. 

Another huge advantage that both you and my DP has is that your partner and I are far younger than a lot of the competition.  I have 12 to 15 years on most of the others and your partner has 27 to 30 years on them and we have been in athletics all our lives.  This may seem not that big of a deal and I used to think that all the time until a few of the ladies pointed out the differences to me.  At the end of three rounds of Quickstep I'm fine whereas they are starting to struggle after just one and your partner would be in even better shape then me.  In Quebec the competitors you will be up against will be a bit portly with age and the mass majority will be 12 to 15 years older than you and 27 to 30 years older than your partner.  I think it will be them that will wonder how well they will do against you when they have all your advantages against them.     

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 04:27:02 AM »

This will be your first time doing fulll Championship won't it CDN?  You will have an oportunity to compete against some of the top couples in the country - I think thats the challenge you seek.  Good luck with it.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 01:06:03 PM »

We are all looking for different things from dancing and must go with what satisfies our needs.  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:24:48 PM by Rugby » Logged

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 01:57:13 PM »

We are all looking for different things and dancing and must go with what satisfies our needs. 

Indeed.  And our capabilities of course Wink
Ah, to be an 18yr old dancer.... Undecided

cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 12:26:11 PM »

For the record, Silvie was never a dance teacher in Czech republic and remember, she quit dancing when she was 18 years old and didn't dance again till we met, almost 2 yrs ago.

~Vicki Baum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 03:38:06 PM »

Hmmm, maybe she was just trying to impress me or something.  Odd.  Not that it matters if she did teach or not, she would certainly have not been the only one who did or is.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 03:39:40 PM »

No matter, have a good time at the competition all of you.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 04:33:11 PM »

thanks R.. time to get changed for Round 1 Smiley

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 05:09:37 PM »

[please, lets make sure we don't get personal here OK?  This is a comunal forum and everyone is welcome and needs to be included.]

Hair done; now I need to go put makeup on...

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: