partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 03:05:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  What activities give you an edge with learning partner dancing?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: What activities give you an edge with learning partner dancing?  (Read 4379 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 06:22:54 AM »

OK I watched the whole thing (with the sound off).  Best part was where he got a bloody eye - and then a few seconds later he was totally fine again.  Wow, these kungfu experts heal fast!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
GreenEyes26
Mind Workers
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 07:18:03 PM »

Theatre and singing gave me an edge. I did them for years. With singing, especially, I had to learn how to convey the emotion of song in a language that I didn't know. I had to learn to *read* music, and I don't mean notes: where was the high point? Are there crescendos? What do you do with them? Do they express anger or happiness? I had to make people understand my song without using words. I think that's why several members on my team like my dancing (for rumba anyway) - I think it's because they see a story through body movement. I hope that's what they see anyway ;-).

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 08:46:31 PM »

I believe that any of the arts, acting, dancing singing assist you in ballroom, it is not just about the steps but conveying emotion through your dancing and all of those things learn you as GE26 mentioned.

I have friends that do Latin and standard and never get passed the second round because they cant convey to people the joy of dancing they are just going through the moves and yet they love their dancing.  The coach has told them that they need to express themselves but they just cant seem to do it. Undecided

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 11:15:12 PM »

I agree with you Q - but I also see a lot of champions that also do not express any convincing emotion, just play-acting.  Seems to me dance is hollow without it - but equally it does not seem emotions are necessary for dancesport (least not real ones).

Burgess Penguin
Bronze

Quack Quack Quack Quack

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 10:58:53 AM »

Being a musician definitely helped me at the outset, and still does, not just in terms of rhythm, but also the ability to improvise, literally thinking on my feet.  Grin

Dancing - The BEST exercise in the world and A LOT prettier than going to the gym, and CHEAPER than a therapist!

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 11:01:51 AM »

Being a musician definitely helped me at the outset, and still does, not just in terms of rhythm, but also the ability to improvise, literally thinking on my feet.  Grin

I tihnk we discussed before that being a musician is a bit of a double edged sword - many have a hard time adjusting to dancing (but I can't remember why!).

cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 05:23:13 PM »

I started martial arts when i was 5. Retired from competition when I was 35 and took up tai chi for 15 yrs, then dancing followed. I think this was an excellent assist for me. So much of martial arts involved learning kata's or dance like routines which emphasized technique and power and speed in performing strikes, punches, blocks and kicks to a variety of angles and imaginary opponents.

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 06:29:13 PM »

A difficult father.... nuff said...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 03:20:29 AM »

our height I am told. more imposing on the floor. but it does have a trade off. they will notice your mistakes as well... Roll Eyes Cool Shocked

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 05:49:59 AM »

EQUAL HITES

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 06:11:29 AM »

EQUAL HITES
Equal Huttites to.  Wait a mo, whats this got to do with it?

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 07:28:57 AM »

EQUAL HITES

A partnership of a great dane and a dachsund is going to be a struggle on the dance floor...

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 08:10:49 AM »

EQUAL HITES

A partnership of a great dane and a dachsund is going to be a struggle on the dance floor...

Cheesy  Not if the Great Dane simply lifts the Dachsund by the scruff of the neck.
(I've actually seen that happen, well maybe not by the scruff) in a pro-am heat...

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 12:03:47 PM »

Just to get a clear perspective of what a lead is, it's some times interesting to go social partner dancing in a style other than ballroom... or dancing ballroom with someone who has never done it.
samina
Silver

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 02:05:43 PM »

From what i hear the martial arts is very good for dancers, the way we as dancers move from foot to foot and trying to keep a low center of gravity as a partnership is apparently very similar to the basic techniques used in all martial arts..

Zac
a longtime dancer once recounted a story to me of a guy who had never danced before, but who was a longtime practitioner/instructor of tai chi. within weeks he was able to dance competently at a very high level (i don't remember the specifics, but it was remarkable). he was awkward at first, but when he made the correlation to his martial arts training, his progress exploded.

that story has always impressed me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: