partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 10:05:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Amateur (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  A couple are cheating on the advancement rules - what do you do?
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: A couple are cheating on the advancement rules - what do you do?  (Read 2872 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 12:18:48 PM »

Good idea - I added that and changed the poll so you can change your mind.

OTOH I'm the only person who has voted Shocked

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
samina
Silver

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 02:49:05 PM »

mebbe ask the couple, honestly & authentically, how they think you should handle it... ask them also how they would handle it if the situation were reversed!

would be interesting. a candid discussion like that might deterioriate into nothing constructive, or... it might also be extremely constructive. best odds for having no hostility or resentment in your energy field, or you're sure to incite a firekeg of some sort. Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 03:42:41 PM »

Perhaps Sam - but if someone is prepared to not adhere to the truth for something that really is trivial in comparison to the real pressures of life what chance do you think such a conversation would have a positive outcome?  Far more likely I think that they would get hostile or seek retribution.

samina
Silver

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 04:15:32 PM »

mebbe. i've encountered hositility in the weirdest instances, that's for sure. and i don't know the couple in question and how irascible they might be.

but i also wonder, if approached with an "i fully understand where you're coming from and might do the same if i were in your shoes, but...." approach, mebbe it would yield a paradigm shift for them.

or, perhaps i've just got my rose-colored glasses on. Cheesy Tongue
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 08:07:02 PM »

I don't think ee will get the response she wants.  Sometimes a couple just makes winning so important that nothing will stand in the way of it and they are not concerned about what they have to do to try and achieve it.  I would be very surprised if this couple has not already been approached and have refused to listen.  I guess it gets down to why we compete.

I know people where winning is everything because they have the need to feel special or better than everyone.  This could lead from an inferiority complex or just being a pompous jerk.  These people need to boast or show and tell everyone how well they did and if they can do it by cutting corners, abusing the system or having an ace up their sleeve all the better and who cares.  No matter what you say to these people your advice and comments will not be welcome, even if you mean well, because it is not what they want to hear or it doesn't suit their plans.

In the long run I suppose you have to think of what is the best for everyone in general.  What they are doing is not just effecting you but everyone in your category and the dance system in general.  They don't care about anyone else, just themselves so why should they get consideration back.  I can see going over once, maybe even twice but after that then enough is enough and it is a blatant disrespect for their fellow compeitiors and the people around them.  I feel the same way for the showoffs and self promoters that just have to be number one.  I also feel sorry for these couples because it really is a case of the Emperor's clothes and unknown to them everyone really sees them for what they are and they just congratulate and ew over them to be nice then roll their eyes or chuckle afterward.       

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 11:15:40 AM »

Just curious.  If the perceived cheating is reported, what is the typical response by the governing organization?  Investigation? sanctions?  What happens, and is the fallout, if there is any, really worth it?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »

The person who complained often gets trashed.  Thats the general outcome because its not confidential to prevent malicious complaining.  However, if someone has truly violated the rules the privacy of the whistleblower should be respected.

As far as the couple goes it must vary by region - and, sadly, certainly by who they are.  For example the members of our dance organization were not allowed to dance in comps run by a particular interenational organziation.  However, when some of our pros competed in that comp they turned a blind eye.  Worse when one of the leaders of the organization was invited to judge at another one they accepted!  The outcome is that the weak are punished and the strong are ignored. If that happened in politics or in law there would be understandable outrage.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 12:23:55 PM »

In that case, I would guess that there'd have to be a really egregious offense for it to be worth filing a formal complaint. *sigh*

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 04:59:21 AM »

I think there is some truth in the statement that they are only cheating themselves.  Whats the use of a trophy if none of your peers respect you?  Thats true in many walks of life - a hollow victory. 

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 08:43:40 AM »

I wonder if people who would cheat for a trophy see it that way. *sigh*

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 04:48:05 AM »

I wonder if people who would cheat for a trophy see it that way. *sigh*
I don't think most do - some people are haunted by their misdeads but I'd guess most cheaters forget about the cheating themselves....

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 07:24:39 AM »

The capacity for rationalization is almost limitless.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 04:09:56 AM »

oooh yes - but I guess we all do it else we would be haunted by our own misdeeds all our lives...

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: