partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 09:19:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116403 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  are couples really that set in their performance abilities
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: are couples really that set in their performance abilities  (Read 1875 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: January 21, 2011, 10:31:43 PM »

this comes for the results of the UK Open

it always appears that changes it the rankings only happens when someone retires? Should this be the case the standard at that level of dancing would be miniscule and any or all of them could equally be a world champion, but some will never get there purely because it seams change only happens as I have previously stated.

so does that mean that couples are set in their performance abilities.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 10:33:58 PM »

Well, the cynic would say that once a couple is established as "#1" in the minds of the judges, they aren't going to lose unless they face-plant.  Am I that cynical?  Hmm...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 10:40:11 PM »

Well, the cynic would say that once a couple is established as "#1" in the minds of the judges, they aren't going to lose unless they face-plant.  Am I that cynical?  Hmm...

yes that is the way it seems and it is a shame and not fiar on others that just as equally good? Do judges need to go to refresher shcoll so they need to review how they look at judging and not be so set?

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 12:22:19 AM »

OTOH perhaps they are #1 because they really are the best?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 03:16:51 AM »

OTOH perhaps they are #1 because they really are the best?

yes I am sur that is also the case but I think there really would not be much difference between the 6....

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 06:09:37 AM »

But (to be devils advocate) isn't there a couple that you just love to watch?  Perhaps at the level of the judges it generally comes out to be the same one! 

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 06:54:52 PM »

But (to be devils advocate) isn't there a couple that you just love to watch?  Perhaps at the level of the judges it generally comes out to be the same one! 

as couples yest of course but judges are suppose to look equally across all without fear or favor..... and pick the one that is best of the day how refreshing would that be!

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 07:46:16 PM »

and are you surethey don't?  I mean look at the see-saw between Giampiero/Anna and Victor/Anastasia....

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 10:14:14 PM »

and are you surethey don't?  I mean look at the see-saw between Giampiero/Anna and Victor/Anastasia....

lower positions change slightly but not between 1 & 2 in the world in Standard. Alas Giampiero and Anna are no more.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 10:21:44 PM »

and are you surethey don't?  I mean look at the see-saw between Giampiero/Anna and Victor/Anastasia....

lower positions change slightly but not between 1 & 2 in the world in Standard. Alas Giampiero and Anna are no more.
OTOH maybe they will both get outstanding partners....

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 10:48:55 PM »

and are you surethey don't?  I mean look at the see-saw between Giampiero/Anna and Victor/Anastasia....

OTOH maybe they will both get outstanding partners....

could be..we just have to wait and see

Dance Forum
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 05:56:33 PM »

It seems that the burden for contenders to beat the champions in dancesport is very heavy. They really need to dance extremely better than champions. But, what I see is that usually champions perform better and dominate floors.

From a video from UK, M&J just dominated the floor IMO. I don't quite understand why Ricardo led Yulia into crowds and mingled with other couples. It took me for a while to find them out of crowds. Or maybe it was just camera angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjn0VjLTi5Y
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 05:58:41 PM by dlgodud » Logged
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 09:20:04 AM »

Perhaps Ricardo and Yulia are deveoping enough energy to "move" the other couples out of the way....I saw them do it @ USDSC...
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 10:38:34 AM »

Perhaps Ricardo and Yulia are deveoping enough energy to "move" the other couples out of the way....I saw them do it @ USDSC...

Well, perhaps yes, but I have seen many time that they struggled with bad management. That might work at USDSC, but this is one of world championships. I doubt they would be able to "move" the other couples out of the way at this level. Most of these guys made champions in the past at prestigious championships. So it might be wise to think and plan differently. That is just my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:57:53 PM by dlgodud » Logged
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 01:33:57 PM »

I think it depends on the judges.  You have judges that say like couple A's style and judges that like couple B's style.  At the comp if you have more judges that prefer A's they win.  At the next comp both couples may be in front of more judges that like couple B's style so hence they win.  This could mean that both couples are really equal but what has changed is not their dancing (though that is another factor) but the personal taste of the particualr judges.  You also have judges that doubt theirsleves and will just go with the popular choice.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: