partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 10:16:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus
| | | |-+  New Vogue (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | | |-+  Merrylin - Straight or Diagonal?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Merrylin - Straight or Diagonal?  (Read 1842 times)
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« on: April 19, 2009, 09:18:59 PM »

which way does this step go? the book says side, but some professionals say diagonal, so which is actually correct? picture this, your competing in merrylin and have just done step, swivel, step, you are just about to go into the chasse that follows, which direction do you take it? a horizontal line sidewards or on a diagonal?

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 09:44:14 PM »

diagonal moving forward - never go to the side or backwards on this step as I have seen social dancers do it or you will run into people Smiley - mummsie
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 01:33:28 AM »

We go sideways because our teacher teaches very much 'by the book' (too much, I say) but now I guess I've learnt something new.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 01:37:26 AM »

Diagonal forward, to keep the momentum going. It's really hard going forward forward then horizontal to the side.
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 01:44:50 AM »

i'm just confused because 2 pro's from my studio have said complete opposite things to eachother, these pro's are usually very spot on wih their technical understanding, so thought i would clarify here.

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 01:51:33 AM »

Yes the book says side...some pros really stick to the book, others focus more on the overall movement.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 04:44:29 AM »

Actually the original script says;

FWD WALK WITH SWIVEL TO DC - SIDE STEPS - FWD WALK WITH SWIVEL TO DW - SIDE STEPS

5   LF fwd down LOD, swivel to L, preparing to move DC, brush RF to LF ww   HB   S
    RF fwd and across in CBMP DC, moving DC                                           H   S
6   LF to side and diagonally fwd, moving DC                                           T   Q
    Close RF to LF                                                                                   T   Q
   LF to side and diagonally fwd, moving DC                                           TH   S
7   RF fwd down LOD, swivel to R, preparing to move DW, brush LF to RF ww   HB   S
   LF fwd and across in CBMP DW, moving DW                                           H   S
8   RF to side and diagonally fwd, moving DW                                          T   Q
    Close LF to RF                                                                                  T   Q
    RF to side and diagonally fwd, moving DW                                          TH   S

by Jim Fahey of Melbourne, and named after his daughter in the 1940's

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 05:09:37 AM »

Interesting....what does the other books say?

waltzelf
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 08:36:52 AM »

It's not diagonal.

"Diagonal" suggests that the foot itself is pointing diagonal to centre when the step is taken.

The step is a side step, as the foot alignment is parallell to the side of the floor. However the body is moving diagonal to centre.

Vagabond
Intermediate Silver

~ Mai PiĆ¹ Senza! ~

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 09:08:39 AM »

Well if the creator of the script doesn't know what he was on about how can we?  But okay interpreting the script (original) states;  LF to side and diagonally fwd, moving DC - or the feet are moving in a forward diagonal movement thus the direction of movement is diagonal, This doesn't mean that the feet are pointing DC but LOD

If my recollection is right the question was in what direction the step goes;
which way does this step go? the book says side, but some professionals say diagonal, so which is actually correct? picture this, your competing in merrylin and have just done step, swivel, step, you are just about to go into the chasse that follows, which direction do you take it? a horizontal line sidewards or on a diagonal?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 09:11:14 AM by Vagabond » Logged

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another.
waltzelf
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 02:51:13 AM »

Well if the creator of the script doesn't know what he was on about how can we?  But okay interpreting the script (original) states;  LF to side and diagonally fwd, moving DC - or the feet are moving in a forward diagonal movement thus the direction of movement is diagonal, This doesn't mean that the feet are pointing DC but LOD

If my recollection is right the question was in what direction the step goes;

This is all good, but remembering that the Merrilyn is a beginners dance - the moment you say "diagonal" the student will twist the entire body to be facing diagonal when taking the step, which is incorrect.

When teaching the Merrilyn, you want to tell the student to take a step to the side, while having the body move in a diagonal direction.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 07:00:17 AM »

Hence it is very hard to read scripts if you don't understand the concept of the terms...Potatoe..potartoe :-)

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 03:09:00 AM »

I actually saw Maxine Durham do a merrilyn the other day, she did it so slow...it looked great. a friend of mine got to dance with her for the whole evening....I think he was very pleased to be able to do so and got some great advice along the way I think.

Dance Forum
waltzelf
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 07:07:32 AM »

I actually saw Maxine Durham do a merrilyn the other day, she did it so slow...it looked great. a friend of mine got to dance with her for the whole evening....I think he was very pleased to be able to do so and got some great advice along the way I think.

Maxine was the one who taught my partner and I the Merrilyn that won us last years South Pacific championships Smiley

Brilliant teacher.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 12:08:46 AM »

yes ...she is becoming part of our social circle...we keep crossing paths....and we are happy for her to join us... she is very knowledgeable

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: