partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 03:30:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Exercises (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Stamina for competitors -- how?
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Stamina for competitors -- how?  (Read 4541 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 01:11:51 PM »

You can also meet a cute chick (er, or cockrell...) Grin

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 06:04:28 PM »

There's that!
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 09:34:37 PM »

For social dancers,stamina doesn't make a whole lot of difference.  If you're tired, you sit one out.

But,for competitive dancers, stamina or lack thereof can make the difference between making it through the final round looking and feeling fresh or wilting like yesterday's flowers.

So.  Competitive dancers, what kinds of things do you incorporate into your training program to build stamina?  Do you run rounds?  Do you cross train?Or does stamina automatically come along for the ride, when you do your other dance training?

I was having some issues with it, especially when we went to comps which are higher above the sea level compared to where we live. So my pro suggested I add intervals to my cardio workouts. So I've been doing those several times a week for the last 4 months, and I upped my cardio time in general. It really helped, since I just did a Colorado Starball (1 mile above sea level, compared to some paltry 800-900 feet here), and didn't feel the effects of the altitude, and I didn't bother with flying there early to acclimate either. Although I have also taken some extra iron for a couple of weeks before going there - that probably helped too.
Rugby
reg mods
Gold

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 11:47:58 PM »

Do you think you would ever try Pro/Am again ee?

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 10:36:54 PM »

Do you think you would ever try Pro/Am again ee?
The problem is that I want a partner that wants to dance with me because they enjoy it - the pro-am concept can accommodate that but my experience is that its unusual.  Least I don't end up feeling it.

So its very unlikely.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 03:41:44 AM »

we use social dance as our stamina training. as we know most of the NV  dancers and the songs they play re for three minutes, we maintain shape and styling for that duration, where as on the comp floor  most of the time it is a1.20 and max 2.00.

We always have a cardiac bracket which is VW, tango and quickstep one after the other for three minutes that will do it and we do that twice during the evening. Trying to dance very dance with quality is the best stamina training you can have.
I agree, I think the social dance is a terrific opportunity to practice a lot of things for competition, including endurance.  Like QPO said, each dance is usually played much longer and with all the other couples on the floor, floor craft and endurance can both be checked off. Social dancing, used together with rounds training, can eliminate physical and mental endurance issues.

Nice to hear from you SG

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 03:45:27 AM »

For social dancers,stamina doesn't make a whole lot of difference.  If you're tired, you sit one out.

But,for competitive dancers, stamina or lack thereof can make the difference between making it through the final round looking and feeling fresh or wilting like yesterday's flowers.

So.  Competitive dancers, what kinds of things do you incorporate into your training program to build stamina?  Do you run rounds?  Do you cross train?Or does stamina automatically come along for the ride, when you do your other dance training?

I was having some issues with it, especially when we went to comps which are higher above the sea level compared to where we live. So my pro suggested I add intervals to my cardio workouts. So I've been doing those several times a week for the last 4 months, and I upped my cardio time in general. It really helped, since I just did a Colorado Starball (1 mile above sea level, compared to some paltry 800-900 feet here), and didn't feel the effects of the altitude, and I didn't bother with flying there early to acclimate either. Although I have also taken some extra iron for a couple of weeks before going there - that probably helped too.

depending on the length of flight we recently flew to Spain for the Seniors III worlds and we only got there one day before the comp. well that was not good. I will make sure that there is a minimum of two days :-/. But I think there has to be a combination of this for stamina training and skipping is another. We went to a comp in Italy ad a couple were from Finland (Seniors III) and they had skipping wrongs with them very thin ones. not sure what they were intending to do with them as we went back to our room to get warmer cloths as the weather change. when we got back they left and did not dance. Shame as I would have like to see how they did things and danced.

Dance Forum
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 12:43:13 AM »

Nice to be back, QPO!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 06:23:06 AM »

Refreshing after FB isn't it!  And what you say on PDO stays on PDO Tongue Tongue

Wait, maybe I can make a buck by selling your posting frequency to Monsanto?  OK, maybe not....

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 08:00:28 AM »

We went soical dancing on Saturday night and  some tunes being played were early four minutes long. Great for Stamina if you can maintain all aspect of your routine for that duration. makes 1.30 easy peazy Grin

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 02:35:15 PM »

Unless, of course, the room is so crowded you can't move... Smiley

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 04:11:50 PM »

Unless, of course, the room is so crowded you can't move... Smiley

Like the first round at Nationals.   Tongue
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 06:37:37 PM »

True on both counts but then you do two things floor-craft ad stamina Cheesy

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 10:13:23 PM »

True on both counts but then you do two things floor-craft ad stamina Cheesy
Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: