partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 02:36:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116409 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | |-+  rain and floods and earthquakes and...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: rain and floods and earthquakes and...  (Read 5368 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2013, 11:17:37 AM »

Quite a bit longer, as in eons.   Wink  Rugby has a point,though.Nature does reclaim its own.  Here in the US, one good example is the seasonal wildfires in places like Colorado and California.   Those wildfires have been going on forever. It's only recently that humans decided to settle in the paths of the naturally-occurring wildfires.   So now we have wildfire emergencies -- not because nature has changed,but because we're in her path.

This is not to cast aspersions at (on?through?) anyone. Mother nature does some unpredictable things.  Hurricanes and tornadoes are two examples.  There's no way to predict in the morning where it will be safe to be at night.  How the heck can you predict where it will be safe to live years from now?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 07:46:42 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2013, 05:24:56 PM »

The concept of safety has changed radically.  A hundred years ago people expected some danger in their lives - be it wars or pestilence.  Now we are raised with teh delusion that we can make our environment 'safe' - from cradle to grave but its only safe on average and the cycle of safety and insecurity will keep rotating.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2013, 12:21:50 AM »

Speaking of living in harm's way ...

Thank goodness the death toll in the Oklahoma tornado's wake is less than originally reported.   Still too high, though.Sad

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2013, 11:24:01 AM »

[Lovely piicture P13 Smiley]

eveyone is following that story aghast - but looking at the damage I'm surprised how few were injured.  Obviously every house has a cellar.. Undecided

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2013, 12:38:25 PM »

re: The picture. Thanks.  I love google images. Smiley

re: The disaster in Oklahoma.  From what I hear, yes.  Everybody there has a storm cellar, FWIW.   There was terrifying footage of one lady who was on the way to her storm cellar when the tornado entered her house.  She and her dog ended up hiding in the cavity of the bathtub that luckily flipped over on them.  The rest of her house collapsed or blew away.

That's the scary thing about tornadoes.  They are absolutely random and unpredictable.  I've seen neighborhoods where a tornado destroyed every other house or just one house or all the houses except one.You never know what to expect. It's truly frightening.  If you've ever been in or near one, you know why they're called acts of  God.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2013, 01:00:56 PM »

I will be happy to die wiithout enduring some experiences Undecided

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2013, 01:04:37 PM »

Yup.  It's not something I would ever voluntarily do again.  When you hear that "train engine" sound, you know your life is in God's hands (if you believe in   God.)  There's nothing you can do but wait until it passes and hope for the best.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2013, 01:30:49 PM »

Yup.  It's not something I would ever voluntarily do again.  When you hear that "train engine" sound, you know your life is in God's hands (if you believe in   God.)  There's nothing you can do but wait until it passes and hope for the best.
Did anyone get hurt that made it into their shelters?

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2013, 01:42:40 PM »

Not that I know of.  There was one guy who took absolutely terrifying footage of the tornado right above a peephole in the roof of his shelter.  Oh my!

From what I've heard on local news, the deaths were mainly due to buildings that collapsed.  For example, several people fled the storm and hid in a 7-Eleven (convenience store) building.  The 7-Eleven collapsed and crushed them all. *shudder*

I live in far north Texas, about an hour south of the Oklahoma border,so there are a lot of Oklahoma natives living here, even in my neighborhood.(TX has more jobs than OK)   The storm and its aftermath are big news here, especially since we got the tail end of the storm. Thankfully, we got only rain and wind.  No tornadoes, this time.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2013, 11:56:30 PM »

I can imagine that any act from Mother nature is terrifying. fire, Storm Hurricane, Cyclone or Tornado.....Earthquake, those that have lived through it would only appreciate how scared one must be. I was in bed during an earth tremor that was all of 20 second and that was scary enough! You could hear it coming and I wondered what it was....and I was lying in a water bed now that was an interesting experience :O

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2013, 07:29:03 AM »

..you're lucky you were not also washed away by a tsunami .. Grin

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2013, 09:12:51 AM »

..you're lucky you were not also washed away by a tsunami .. Grin

Sometimes you have to have luck on your side.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2013, 09:51:19 AM »

I've only lived through tornadoes and hurricanes aka cyclones.  Hurricanes are by far the worst, IMHO.  They can last for hours and hours (the longest I've lived through was about 24 hours.) and they can spawn tornadoes and flooding.  

It wasn't until my first hurricane that  I truly appreciated what people in disaster areas on TV were going through. *sigh*
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 07:17:39 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2013, 10:12:59 AM »

Did I mention I like Toronto?  We had a 3.1 earthquake Roll Eyes and that was as scary as it usually gets... (cross fingers...)

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2013, 01:06:03 PM »

It's only been six days and the poor victims of the Oklahoma tornadoes are already largely out of the news.  It may take years for them to rebuild their lives, but the media has already forgotten them. Sad

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: