partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2014, 08:56:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | |-+  rain and floods and earthquakes and...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: rain and floods and earthquakes and...  (Read 5677 times)
mummsie
Bronze

« on: January 13, 2011, 06:17:35 PM »

The enormity of the floods in Queensland and New South Wales are just unbelievable.  I don't think people in the rest of the world realise how much land mass is under water at present.  Its more then Texas and California combined - completely under.  Gary hasn't been able to get to work all week and looks like he will be sent to Sydney next week for aweek. The building he works in didn't flood even though its on the banks of the Brisbane River but there is no electricity. They have a generator going to keep the equipment powered up but because there is no a/c the building is full of fumes and is dangerous. We are having a displaced person over for dinner tonight - she has been staying with my son and his partner all week. I am taking Monday off and will endeavour to go to one of the flooded areas with my gum boots and shovel to give them a bit of a hand. Just very surreal. Mummsie

[title expanded feb 22 ee]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:19:30 AM by elisedance » Logged
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 01:06:30 AM »

yes the rest of us look on from afar with shock and I can tell you, you feel quite helpless and some of the visuals with trapped animals makes it even worse because there is nothing worse than not being able to help people or animals in distress. I can believe to imagine how some of the people must be feeling who have lost loved ones! It brings tears to my eyes.

If I were local or had plenty of money I would be up there helping out. I think the cleanup will be much quicker than they first thought with so many people pitching in to help. Victoria is also having issues with floods and eventually it will make its way to the Murray and I know that many of our country towns are already getting prepared. the old better safe than sorry.

It is amazing that such tragedies as this can bring such great positives and one is the community spirit in which people are prepared to help strangers. It is such a nice feeling that humanity has not left us as the way the media portray things, no-one would care about someone else.

I wish everyone the very best and a speedy recovery.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 03:00:43 AM »

We're watching from afar... seems Australia is not the only country suffering floods right now.  Dreadful floods and mudslides in Brazil too...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
maccer
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 03:44:57 AM »

I think the unusual thing here in Queensland, Australia, is that a major city has been shut down by the floods. It's not the norm when these disasters hit, that the 3rd largest city on a continent would be affected like this. The entire CBD has been closed down and has been since Tuesday lunchtime.

A further issue is that residents living near the river (which the city and many suburbs are built around) haven't got flood insurance as insurance companies will not provide it.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 04:49:59 AM »

We're watching from afar... seems Australia is not the only country suffering floods right now.  Dreadful floods and mudslides in Brazil too...

yes it was very sad to see some of those images and the rescue of a women who was also trying to save her dog but alas it was swept away..just pulled my heart strings. disasters have occured all the way across the world, Brazil, Sri Lanka, Australia and others.

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 04:55:24 AM »

I think the unusual thing here in Queensland, Australia, is that a major city has been shut down by the floods. It's not the norm when these disasters hit, that the 3rd largest city on a continent would be affected like this. The entire CBD has been closed down and has been since Tuesday lunchtime.

A further issue is that residents living near the river (which the city and many suburbs are built around) haven't got flood insurance as insurance companies will not provide it.

yes it is enormous and it has effected many people, like many disasters…including Haiti, Pakistan. Where we are fortunate is that the whole country is supporting the Qlders and that is a positive.

On the insurance front, you have to wonder why they let people build in flood plain areas, would you build in an area if you cant get insurance that covers everything? I think it is criminal, It would be better that they have to pay a higher premium rather than not getting insurance at all.

Dance Forum
maccer
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 05:36:49 AM »

On the insurance front, you have to wonder why they let people build in flood plain areas, would you build in an area if you cant get insurance that covers everything? I think it is criminal, It would be better that they have to pay a higher premium rather than not getting insurance at all.

Brisbane is actually built around the river, that includes the city and many suburbs. It's just the way the city has developed right from when it was originally settled in the 1800s. So unless we rebuild the whole city, we're just going to have to put up with the insurance issue and pray that Mother Nature doesn't unleash her fury here again. One Qld insurance company has now come out and said anyone with their policies, will be covered by insurance. So yay!

Also, we're all praying not only those affected here by the floods, buy also for those in other parts of the world who have been hit by disasters. We know it's not just all about us. That's just not the Australian way.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 05:54:04 AM »

Brisbane is actually built around the river, that includes the city and many suburbs. It's just the way the city has developed right from when it was originally settled in the 1800s. So unless we rebuild the whole city, we're just going to have to put up with the insurance issue and pray that Mother Nature doesn't unleash her fury here again. One Qld insurance company has now come out and said anyone with their policies, will be covered by insurance. So yay!

Also, we're all praying not only those affected here by the floods, buy also for those in other parts of the world who have been hit by disasters. We know it's not just all about us. That's just not the Australian way.

so true, you can see that with others in australia who are in a similar disaster worrying about those in qld, it shows that our humanity is still there sometimes it just gets hidden in the day to day struggles of life...Hugs to you all Kiss

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 08:14:13 AM »

Perhaps PDO can do its little tiny bit to spread awareness...  those people are going to need a lot of help to get back on their feet.  From what i have read its remarkable that there have been so few fatalities - I hope that does not change as the waters recede.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 07:10:50 PM »

the biggest loss of life was a flash flood in a town two hours of the capital, very sad to here those stories, in the city they knew it was going to happen and warned people to get out. Only one death very tragic, a young man went to check on his fathers house and got sucked down a storm water drain! I felt so sad when I heard that. People under estimate the ppower of water it is very strong.

My heart goes out to everyone effected by these events. Being so far away you feel so helpless to help them.

Dance Forum
maccer
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 05:41:36 PM »

The clean up is well and truly on here with thousands of volunteers helping to get Queensland back on its feet. I'm so sore today and we're on our way out again to continue to sandbag the river embankment near a friend's home and their neighbours. There was an army of us there yesterday. Most people there were complete strangers and knew none of the home owners. I met a young English guy, a group of Kiwis and also an Irish woman who are here on holidays and just turned up to help.  It's amazing to see the optimism and the community coming together like this.  Geotechnical engineers have advised unless this sandbagging is done asap, the homes will collapse into the river. Very scary stuff. I cannot believe the stench of the mud and the devastation throughout the previously flooded areas. However, the good news is most major highways have reopened, some back streets remain closed and other roads and bridges are being assessed for safety.

There are also people just turning up with food and drinks for volunteers.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 06:03:14 PM »

Pdoodle hugs and thanks to them all...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 11:12:11 PM »

The clean up is well and truly on here with thousands of volunteers helping to get Queensland back on its feet. I'm so sore today and we're on our way out again to continue to sandbag the river embankment near a friend's home and their neighbours. There was an army of us there yesterday. Most people there were complete strangers and knew none of the home owners. I met a young English guy, a group of Kiwis and also an Irish woman who are here on holidays and just turned up to help.  It's amazing to see the optimism and the community coming together like this.  Geotechnical engineers have advised unless this sandbagging is done asap, the homes will collapse into the river. Very scary stuff. I cannot believe the stench of the mud and the devastation throughout the previously flooded areas. However, the good news is most major highways have reopened, some back streets remain closed and other roads and bridges are being assessed for safety.

There are also people just turning up with food and drinks for volunteers.

I beleive there are over 50,000 offical volunteers and they estmate that there could be another 20,000 who have not registered. I can only imagine what it must smell like with all that debris in the water.

Well done to everyone, it shows that human race has not lost its compassion.

Dance Forum
CANI
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »

Hope the best for everyone...hard to get my head wrapped around the magnitude of this.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 06:06:02 AM »

the issue that will arise in the coming weeks who will pay for the recovery, they look to the public to donate money as many of the people and businesses dont have flood insurance as the insurance companies wont cover  it because they are on a flood plane.

Now I hear that they may impose a levy on the public to fund reconstruction of the many cities that have been damaged not only house but bridges and roads etc.

The other issue is the toxicity level from all the pollutants that were washed down these rivers. Now everyone is standing in and scooping up this toxic mud. :-/

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: