partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 11:55:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116457 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  visualization to improve dancing
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: visualization to improve dancing  (Read 2665 times)
Spiral
Intermediate Bronze

« on: January 05, 2011, 04:14:56 AM »

Some here mentioned that visualizing yourself dancing can help you improve even without physical practice. But I'm wondering if anyone uses visualization while they are dancing?

Some weeks ago when I was practicing with my partner, I started thinking about my instructor and how she always manages to make everything look so smooth and effortless. I then started thinking about how the steps would feel to her if she was in my place. As soon as I thought that, I felt lighter and more balanced, my footwork also felt neater, basically, as if she was controlling my body.

Unfortunately that feeling didn't last long. Since then I've been trying to recapture that but it doesn't always work.

Does anyone else do that? Pretend that you are someone else who can execute whatever step perfectly and you are just a passenger in their body?

Is there anything specific that helps you visualize that? Or do you use some other kind of visualization?

Hope it made sense and wasn't too confusing Smiley

To thy self dance true --elisedance
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 04:41:08 AM »

thats very interesting - though I think I would rather visualize that i was my world champion self Grin 

I try to let the music flow through me, the sounds not the beat - that i take from my partner.  Perhaps visualizing someone else dancing can have the same effect - especially of course if its someone you really admire and connect with.  I wonder if you could do it also with some non-dance image - a sapling flexing in the wind or the tide washing up on the shore.  Would be neat to have a list of visualizations to go with each dance type.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 06:06:18 AM »

the power of visualization has been extremely underestimated. There are many stories out there about teachers who have taught this to their students from a musical perspective, for example, a teacher that did not have enough recorders for her students to take home, so she got them to visualise the fingering techniques required to master the instrument. They were to do it every day for 20 minutes. When they get to school and use the instrument they could play just as well as those that could take an instrument home.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:42:52 AM »

the power of visualization has been extremely underestimated. There are many stories out there about teachers who have taught this to their students from a musical perspective, for example, a teacher that did not have enough recorders for her students to take home, so she got them to visualise the fingering techniques required to master the instrument. They were to do it every day for 20 minutes. When they get to school and use the instrument they could play just as well as those that could take an instrument home.
Like to see them do that with a violin Shocked

It probably works for a recorder because the motor skills are relatively simple but with an act that requires 'muscle memory' I wonder if it would still work (I think you need actual repetition).  It may also depend on the type of learner you are.  Sounds kinesthetic.

Hmmm sounds like its for me !

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 05:55:45 PM »

Whenever I listen to music, I visualize myself dancing on the music. Is this what you ask? For example, I can tell it really helps to memorize my routines. My teachers usually insisted to take videos of routines, but I never actually did. But, they were very surprised how well and fast I remember routines. Without music, I probably couldn't remember that fast. Well, dancing is following music, and I don't think one steps and movements can be separated from another. So with music, it makes possible to visualize my routines and in addition to that, it makes me dance more naturally because I already know the flows and connections in my routines. I don't say I memorize them. I just do it in unconscious stage of my mind. Does this make a sense? Roll Eyes
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 02:27:56 AM »

Like to see them do that with a violin Shocked

It probably works for a recorder because the motor skills are relatively simple but with an act that requires 'muscle memory' I wonder if it would still work (I think you need actual repetition).  It may also depend on the type of learner you are.  Sounds kinesthetic.

Hmmm sounds like its for me !

I have heard it also with trumpets and saxaphones. It can be done! Tongue

Dance Forum
samina
Silver

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 03:42:57 PM »

i think, because it's invisible to our eyes, we tend to think that visualization is non-physical and kinda flaky or mysterious. i think that, in reality, it's very physical, the way that wireless technology, EMFs, gravity and such are invisible to our eyes but physical. Smiley

i think we create our realities very much by what we "send out" or "live in" WRT what we visualize, and feel while visualizing... that that's a key element of how we bring new potentialities into our experience.

as for visualizing dancing...i do it all the time when i'm at the gym, that's for sure. quickstep & viennese waltz get me through some intense-but-short intervals on the equipment there. Cheesy
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 04:40:34 PM »

But is it really just visualization?  The slalom skier can be seen visualizing her decent before leaving the gate - but she also goes through the movements necessary for the actual event.  So is visualization when totally relaxed the same as when you allow your muscles to move to the imagined actions?

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 08:46:56 PM »

But is it really just visualization?  The slalom skier can be seen visualizing her decent before leaving the gate - but she also goes through the movements necessary for the actual event.  So is visualization when totally relaxed the same as when you allow your muscles to move to the imagined actions?

yes there is that element, those that have to visualise playing the intrusment must also doing the fingering, it is just not seeing it in their mind. It is a whole package. but when they cannot do the fingering if they can visualise themselves fingering it will definately help.

Dance Forum
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 06:44:27 PM »

I remember reading something similar about basketball(?) players. There was some study which separated them into three groups - one just did unrelated exercise, the others were asked to do visualization + unrelated exercise and the third group actually worked on their game skills. There was no difference between groups 2 and 3, but group 1 was behind.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 06:41:03 AM »

I wonder how long they did the study for.  Wouldn't idle players loose physical ability?
I think it would also be rather hard to assess exactly what they had learned.  Not to say it did not work but the examiners (testers of progress) would have to be 'blind', that is not know which students had undergone which training program.

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 09:44:11 AM »

I wonder how long they did the study for.  Wouldn't idle players loose physical ability?
I think it would also be rather hard to assess exactly what they had learned.  Not to say it did not work but the examiners (testers of progress) would have to be 'blind', that is not know which students had undergone which training program.
They weren't totally idle. They would do general exercise, like treadmills and weight machines. But they didn't do anything specific to their sport.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 01:10:42 PM »

Ah I see.  Then the only question is how impartial was the assessment.  If it was grant-supported it most likely was but its still easy to get a false positive (again, not that I don't believe it can work).

CANI
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 08:46:10 PM »

I remember that basketball example -- I think I read it in The Mental Edge by Kenneth Baum.  While I do believe in the power of visualization, I've often wondered (as you note elisedance) how exactly the studies have been conducted.
GreenEyes26
Mind Workers
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 09:10:42 AM »

as for visualizing dancing...i do it all the time when i'm at the gym, that's for sure. quickstep & viennese waltz get me through some intense-but-short intervals on the equipment there. Cheesy

I heard two songs at the gym yesterday that were Viennese Waltzs. It took some restraint to not start dancing among the weight machines Smiley.

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: