partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 23, 2014, 12:07:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Dancing for Seniors/Masters
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dancing for Seniors/Masters  (Read 1229 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: December 29, 2010, 09:23:19 PM »

Samina has recently raisd the request to make a topic on the Older Dancer.

The pitfalls, Issues that arise being an older dancer. Please list them here and lets talk about them. I have plenty to add this this topic!

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 09:26:34 PM »

Despite having my knee surgery I think the biggest thing that I have noticed in danceing in Masters is Balance. this seems to wain terribly as you get older. I am starting to do more Pilates exercises to improve balance as I believe it is one of the main keys to dancing.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 10:15:03 PM »

I know nothing about this yet Roll Eyes

[and each morning I bury my head in sand..]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 10:51:52 PM »

I know exactly about that, I will not use the "O" word but sometimes I feel that Seniors/Masters are not valued but they are what is keeping the dancing going. we are losssing more and more youngsters to other interests and sports....

I remember going to one comp after a seniors event the copare said "Now folks for the serious stuff!" Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 02:35:46 AM »

I remember going to one comp after a seniors event the copare said "Now folks for the serious stuff!" Roll Eyes

Every senior there should have booed.  VERY loudly.  But I bet they didn't...
Did anyone say anything to him?

Here the Senior events get a reasonable respect.  Indeed the Senior I catagory (35 and up) is usually a highlight of the evening and I think the organizers are well aware that many of us are in it for the long haul - which means stability for their competitions. 

What is often missed, however, is that for some dance forms it iseniors can be more beautiful to watch than the youngsters.  There is less frenetics and more grace - I wish the competitions would try to build on that. 

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 07:04:52 AM »

When I first started comps, it seemed that the Masters were the dancers to aspire to. For a very long time, I thought "Masters" meant "Registered", so not medallist.

That's how cool I thought you guys were Tongue

I prefer watching Masters dance...they bring to the dance (often) experience, and a sense of ease, whereas a lot of younger couples appear hasty or unpolished.
Also, Masters generally have better floorcraft...much nicer to watch.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »

Thanks L Smiley Smiley  Though we range from the clutz to the expert just like the younger folk. 

You are obviously a Master in making Grin

samina
Silver

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 12:50:32 PM »

Despite having my knee surgery I think the biggest thing that I have noticed in danceing in Masters is Balance. this seems to wain terribly as you get older. I am starting to do more Pilates exercises to improve balance as I believe it is one of the main keys to dancing.

Rolfing. Rolfing. And, did I say... Rolfing? Smiley

Seriously, it's such good stuff, Q! Cheesy The aim of rolfing is "structural integration" through manipulation of your fascia to dissolve distortions that create lack of balance through the mid-line of your body. It affects *everything*, every aspect of your body structurally, as well as your emotions and beliefs and such which -- we tend not to realize -- drive much of the way we habitually hold & use our bodies. I really think that working with an experienced Rolfing practitioner should be at the top of an older dancer's list of things to look into.

And this gets into what, for me, has been a significant observation regarding being an older-starting dancer: the pros are simply not experts as to what the physical limitations are that older dancers can face, nor how to address & resolve them. They are, generally speaking, used to things *working*, flowing, moving... being lighter, being flexible, and taking for granted many things that their bodies do naturally which older dancers may have to spend a considerable amount of time either achieving for the first time in their lives, or recovering due to lack of or mis-use.

My most potent a-has and changes in my physique were puzzled out on my own, with or without the help of a body-work expert of some kind, and never through the advice or feedback of a pro. It's just not their area of expertise. Great example: after a significant journey, let's say at least a couple years and thousands of dollars of bodywork of a couple different sorts, I was out-of-my-mind delighted that I could lower through my legs with greater ease. As I demonstrated that for an instructor ("Look what I can finally do...!!!!"), he stated with good-hearted candor, "Meh...I have never not been able to do that!"  Roll Eyes Tongue Cheesy

So for me, just addressing my own body-energy system and exploring how to enliven it, free it, and use it in a way that every one of the pros I've known takes for granted has been the predominant theme for me. And there are no books specifically on that subject... it's an area we have to forge for ourselves, IMV. That's a whole separate piece from "the dancing" itself...but it's the underlying piece that affects EVERYTHING dance-related.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:54:49 PM by samina » Logged
samina
Silver

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 12:55:10 PM »

Samina has recently raisd the request to make a topic on the Older Dancer.

The pitfalls, Issues that arise being an older dancer. Please list them here and lets talk about them. I have plenty to add this this topic!
Thanks for starting this, Q! Smiley
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 06:32:55 PM »

I have investigated a Rolfing person here and there is only one. I have been so busy with other things I did not get time to follow it up  will do so in the new year. Cheesy

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 06:35:58 PM »

When I first started comps, it seemed that the Masters were the dancers to aspire to. For a very long time, I thought "Masters" meant "Registered", so not medallist.

That's how cool I thought you guys were Tongue

I prefer watching Masters dance...they bring to the dance (often) experience, and a sense of ease, whereas a lot of younger couples appear hasty or unpolished.
Also, Masters generally have better floorcraft...much nicer to watch.

I believe that to be true. also....at our lst comp I was suprised to see the strength in the masters 2 (over 50 ) compared to Masters 1 (over 35) but I am sue that goes n peaks and troughs.

Most of the MAsters go  out there to do their very best and becasue alot start later in life they are dancing becuase they want to and not because their parents want them to. (that is not all the young ones btw, I know that some choose to dance because they want to)

Dance Forum
samina
Silver

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 04:23:46 PM »

I have investigated a Rolfing person here and there is only one. I have been so busy with other things I did not get time to follow it up  will do so in the new year. Cheesy
If you begin working with the Rolfer, be sure to report back how it goes! Smiley
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 09:54:14 PM »

If you begin working with the Rolfer, be sure to report back how it goes! Smiley

I called a lady for a quote and it was $120 for an hour and no rebate from my health fund, I have to think about that as she could not determine withut seeing me how long it will take. Which is understandable but not sure if I can justify the expenditure.

I have booked into to a remedial massage person who only charges $60 and I can get a rebate, if that does not work I will give her a try.

Dance Forum
samina
Silver

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 11:29:58 PM »

I think I paid $100/hr, tho she always went over. And the standard format is 10 sessions, each one having a certain purpose, with customizations as needed for the individual. Though I know there are Rolfers who just keep working weekly with their clients... drj has one like that. Smiley

It's not massage, though, Q. They're not the same thing. The outcome is very different. Tho massage is relaxing and can also be therapeutic, rolfing changes the body-being on a deeper level...and commonly continues to domino effect change for some time after the first 10 sessions. Certainly did so in my case!
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 03:42:11 AM »

I thought it would not be massage  perhaps more like bowen therapy?.....I will try the remedial massage first and as I get to walk better I will look at rolfing for the realignment.

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: