partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2014, 04:31:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116483 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Grass-roots dancesport (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  whats necessary for a GR competition?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: whats necessary for a GR competition?  (Read 911 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: December 27, 2010, 03:36:03 AM »

Post here what you think is essential or just nice for a GR comp.

First is dancers!!  A grass roots comp could be held with just couples and an audience judging, based simply on clapping at the end of the heat.  This could be done at any dance stuidio without any additional organization at all.  The important thing is to state something like 'the next dance will be a competition in (say) foxtrot.  Would any dancers who would like to compete please step on the floor."  And to remind the audience to please vote for the best couple and not just their friends.

The couples then dance and then the MC (or DJ) calls each couple in turn and gets the audience reaction.  Obviously, such a competition would be totally in fun since a couple with a large group of friends there might yet have an advantage.  But thats not the point - it would be fun!

Competitions like this already occur at studios - in particular the chain ones - but I think they should be encouraged at non-aligned dance halls and ballrooms.  This lets everyone participate whether or not they can afford studio membership. 

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 03:47:37 AM by elisedance » Logged

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 05:08:48 PM »

interesting, first time I heard of this type of comp. Costume required? or just practice wear? I assume are for amateurs? not pros?

The 2 studios I practice in NYC and 2 studios I practice/teach near home are all independent studios, which do not have this. Maybe this is already so popular in chain studio? I've heard of Fred Astaire chain studio have their own comps for pros and pro-ams, costumes required. But only limited to FA staff and students, not open to public. If GR comp is open to public whether or not they can afford studio membership would be good!  

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 05:29:08 PM »

The idea is as low budget and prep as possible - so just the regular evening wear.  What I envisage is a dance hall having a normal social evening and then, perhaps even without introduction, calling a competition.

I'm going to see if one our local comps will do it.  Trouble is they are very entrenched in their usual fare...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 07:39:31 PM »

I believe that it needs to be simple but attractive. I have listed a couple of examples on the other thread.

I believe there needs to be a push back into schools and get them t participate in these comps. Our local group  is having it as their main focus this year for recruiting new participants to the sport.

Elite is wonderful and something to aspire to but for a beginner it can be very daunting.

Again the KISS princile applis, but I think everyone has been in surival mode and or trying to work on makng it a sport. these things would not be needed if they get back to GR.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 07:44:15 PM by QPO » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: