partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 02:25:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus
| | | |-+  New Vogue (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | | |-+  To Love or Not to Love New Vogue
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: To Love or Not to Love New Vogue  (Read 4915 times)
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2009, 01:22:46 AM »

thanks for the welcome.  Yes it is a different forum Smiley 
We do know all of the dances but we don't practice them all the time in our Saturday practice.  We have been resting when they have been called out.  Now it means we will basically have to do all of them.  Actually the LaBomba and Tracey Leigh need a lot of work because we haven't had to do them for a couple of years.  We get up and do them now and then, but they are very rusty.  The others we have been working on slowly at the end of our lesson.  We usually spend 5-10 minutes doing a different NV dance each week that hasn't been on our list of dances so they aren't too bad.  Have to get my finger out and start my new gown now.  - mummsie
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2009, 07:08:15 AM »

well we had an interesting lesson.  Trying to make Tracey Leigh into an open dance. We haven't done it competitvely since we were level 3 about 4 years ago so was very rusty.  Got some new styling in Twilight which makes life a bit more interesting.  We aren't doing too much new stuff as we only have 2 more lessons until we go on holidays.  We will be away for 4 weeks so don't want to do too much new stuff otherwise we will forget it all while we are off cruising the Baltic Sea.  This time in 4 weeks we will be on a plane about to touch down in Singapore on our way to London Cheesy mummsie
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2009, 07:09:21 AM »

Blackpool?
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2009, 08:09:24 AM »

Mummsie...tell me is it worth getting the Neville Boyd book on New Vogue Dancing Technique...New Vogue Sequence Dancing (New Revised Ed.)

Reading the scripts and getting verbal instructions are giving conflicting opinions in the execution of the dance? Swing Waltz is still haunting me.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2009, 08:27:30 AM »

Swing Waltz is still haunting me.

What did I do? Huh Huh Huh LOL
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2009, 09:11:24 AM »

make the timing so difficult for this dance...six step turning   ahhhh!

Swing Waltz is still haunting me.

What did I do? Huh Huh Huh LOL

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 09:13:43 AM »

make the timing so difficult for this dance...six step turning   ahhhh!

Six step turn...all quicks, 1 beat 1 step. 1 2 3 4 5 6
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 09:24:49 AM »

how should you step through those six steps? I was told move forward on the right LOD (1), then turn so back is LOD(2), back aagain (3) before turning to the side (4) then three side closes the last two slower...so you say side close side...side close side. does that make sense to you?

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2009, 09:49:15 AM »

how should you step through those six steps? I was told move forward on the right LOD (1), then turn so back is LOD(2), back aagain (3) before turning to the side (4) then three side closes the last two slower...so you say side close side...side close side. does that make sense to you?

I personally do ... LF down LOD (1), RF back down LOF (2), LF back down LOF (3), RF back down LOF (4), LF side LOF (5), RF close (6). Then you have your side together side brush, and they go 123 456.
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2009, 06:56:29 PM »

Mummsie...tell me is it worth getting the Neville Boyd book on New Vogue Dancing Technique...New Vogue Sequence Dancing (New Revised Ed.)

Reading the scripts and getting verbal instructions are giving conflicting opinions in the execution of the dance? Swing Waltz is still haunting me.
The book if very good.  I have had mine for about 12 years or so.  There is also the other book by Hesketh.  I haven't seen that one but my teacher teaches the best of both techniques.  Most of the stuff we do from Neville Boyd but he has a few strange things in there so we go with the other technique. 

I normally teach it as forward, side, back, back side together.  Don't get bogged down in the technicalities at your level - just make it flow.  Just try not to do little bitty steps or it looks like a social dance. - mummsie
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2009, 09:23:54 PM »

Thanks for the good advice. will try that the next time I am on the dance floor, my neck is much better today but there is no place to dance now this week-end...without dancing like being in a tin of sardines...and that is not dancing :-(

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »

Just tried the steps in my living room. and I can get that to timing now with the music, You never know I might end up loving the swingwaltz yet!

Dance Forum
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2009, 09:55:39 PM »

Excellent Smiley  Swing Waltz at beginner levels is a lot of fun.  I am not happy at open levels though its there is much more no contact stuff although I am getting better at it.  We had fun with the Tracey Leigh last night - we basically only hold for about 5 bars through the whole dance now.  In some ways, its good for me as I tend to hold the bars better when I don't have my DP holding me up :-) I have to slow it down or fall down.!! :-D - mummsie
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2009, 01:42:44 AM »

I have found the book and he was in town on the week-end and had copies with him....if only I knew a week ago!. Anyway will get the book and see how it goes.

Dance Forum
ahowlett1
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2009, 06:24:28 PM »

The solo waltz in Swing Waltz is danced for man:

LF Fwd, RF Side, LF Back, RF Back, LF Side, RF Closes to LF.

The Lady is the natural opposite.

These foot position allow for the correct rotation of the body and swing down the floor.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: