partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 02:35:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116183 Posts in 1853 Topics by 220 Members
Latest Member: elam63
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Band-Aids, Asprins and Splints (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Diets: how do you stay slim and get slimmer?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Diets: how do you stay slim and get slimmer?  (Read 10010 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: April 19, 2009, 12:24:02 AM »

This topic has been forced on us by the sweet tooth one on the chat board.  Lettuce and rice cakes - how do you loose weight if you have to?  What works what doesn't and do you have any help for those that just can't shed?

My strategy is to have a large, but not too fattening breakfast, next to no lunch and then a moderate but tasty dinner.

And it all starts with the enormous pile of morning fried tomatoes!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 03:32:34 AM »

Everybodys physiology is different, but for me, I end up having five to six small meals a day instead of three larger ones.  It keeps my blood sugar levels from spiking and crashing as much as they do on the other food schedule and helps me to maintain my energy level throughout the day.  This maintenance helps me to keep from snacking during the day.

In addition, I love to swim.  It is a full body cardio exercise that has no impact on your joints and also incorporates some resistance training.

For those who have difficulty shedding weight, something to keep in mind is that you will want some sort of resistance training to build muscle.  As you do so, your metabolism picks up and, even at rest, your muscles continue to burn calories that they wouldnt be able to do if the muscle improvement wasnt there.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »

Swimming is excellent excersize - probably the best because there is absolutly no pressure on the joints.  However, I read somewhere that there is a body reflex to maintain subcutaneous fat to protect from the heat loss to the water!  So top swimmers have superp physique but they generally have a smooth body look - unlike, for example weight lifters who have to loose heat and maybe have the opposite reaction.

I should look into the physiology of this - its logical and I've always been compelled by both the argument and by looking at swimmers (and divers).  But I would love to see the science...

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 10:24:39 PM »

Swimming is excellent excersize - probably the best because there is absolutly no pressure on the joints.  However, I read somewhere that there is a body reflex to maintain subcutaneous fat to protect from the heat loss to the water!  So top swimmers have superp physique but they generally have a smooth body look - unlike, for example weight lifters who have to loose heat and maybe have the opposite reaction.

I used to swim a lot when I lived in south Florida, where the water gets quite warm in the summer.  (To the point where some people installed "pool coolers".)  I never noticed that swimmers there looked any different from swimmers anywhere else.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 10:55:02 PM »

I have worked from the CSIRO diet book for three yeas and it has worked well for me.  I have maintained my weight, but  my body shape has altered slightly and I think that is gym work, which I have no tiime to do. I followed it regioulsy for 16 weeks and it then a new lifestyle pattern.

Keep off the carbs is the key...and input and output it the name of the game. I lost 15kg and it is something I work on all the time.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 01:54:48 AM »

At the moment I'm not really concerned with losing weight - more not putting any on.

To do that I stop myself buying snacks and chocolate bars when I'm not really hungry, and when I am I try to get something healthier.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 02:24:40 AM »

It is the snacks that get you they are generally so high in sugar/fat or both.....I remember that we only need 5gms of fat per day and I think one cholocte bar has enough four four days worth! Embarrassed

Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 02:28:40 AM »

i'm a type 1 diabetic which gives me a really good diet!

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 03:41:01 AM »

Dance more!  Grin
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 04:33:57 AM »

Good advice...

My father is on the ELF diet.... (East Less Food)

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 07:20:46 AM »

i'm a type 1 diabetic which gives me a really good diet!

That sure is a great attitude!

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 07:21:28 AM »

Good advice...

My father is on the ELF diet.... (East Less Food)

when you get down to it - thats all it boils down to - the IN and OUT boxes !

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 09:56:33 AM »

For me it is eating less (cutting out things like bread, sugar, sodas) but eating right (fruits, veggies, drinking water)

and exercising more .... walking, DANCING, going up and down the stairs a few extra times during the day.

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 07:45:02 AM »

Yes and it is also having to look at food differently...

Dance Forum
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 09:28:38 AM »

Yes and it is also having to look at food differently...

to true. Food is not BAD. It is good and it is good when we heed what it is our body wants and craves. Everything in moderation.

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: