partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 04:48:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Music (Moderators: Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  improving music notation...
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: improving music notation...  (Read 2477 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: December 10, 2010, 01:10:38 PM »

This hasn't been changed in years... how about this as an improvement:

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 01:14:41 AM »

Unsure what it's supposed to be notating...

With the low semiquaver and then the high one...I would just group it slightly differently. One quaver by itself, and then the two semi quavers joined.

If the blue lines are intentional...are they used to mark the Cs? That could be useful for really high or low music...say, for flute.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 05:27:23 AM »

If the blue lines are intentional...are they used to mark the Cs? That could be useful for really high or low music...say, for flute.

Thats the point.  Why on earth isn't that automatic?  We violinists are always playing in whats been delightfully termed 'the gerbil zone' why does it have to be so hard to read?

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 10:41:07 AM »

True...I guess after a while I just got used to it. High notes became easier to read.

If we get too complicated, we'll start having a viola clef for every instrument...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 04:46:14 PM »

... or 15 lines and a Giant Clef...

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 10:29:20 PM »

Sequencing software uses something called "piano roll" notation.  I'll post an example later.
NZ_Guy
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 12:26:07 AM »

What's the relative disadvantage of using 8va, 8vb, 15ma, 15mb (1 octave higher, lower, 2 octaves higher, lower)? Does it make sight-reading slower?

-T.

Hanging out on the friendlier dance forum.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 04:48:43 AM »

What's the relative disadvantage of using 8va, 8vb, 15ma, 15mb (1 octave higher, lower, 2 octaves higher, lower)? Does it make sight-reading slower?

I think this works fine for the piano where all you do is move up or down the keyboard and carry on playing Smiley  However, for the violin playing the fingereing for a 'G' in one octave is completely different (different string, different position on the string).  Thus, you basically have to transpose the music in your head.  We need as many clues as we can get Cheesy

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 06:33:38 AM »

Well, for piano music, there isn't really a disadvantage in actually playing it.

However, it can make sightreading trickier, because the 8va, 8vb, etc are often small and easy to miss.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »

I like it Elise.  However, I wonder why folks haven't changed music notations in lord knows how long.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 08:58:22 PM »

I like it Elise.  However, I wonder why folks haven't changed music notations in lord knows how long.
cause classical musicians are trained to copy, not innovate.  Or should I say innotevate...
oh, dear ...

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 04:52:38 AM »

Thats the point.  Why on earth isn't that automatic?  We violinists are always playing in whats been delightfully termed 'the gerbil zone' why does it have to be so hard to read?
is that like the twighlight zone but an octave higher?

what is the gerbil zone?

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 09:09:15 AM »

is that like the twighlight zone but an octave higher?
definitely music in the aural twilight zone - or maybe up to the crescent moon...

what is the gerbil zone?

Its when you are playing notes so high on the violin finger board that you don't actually know where you are... its really done by ear and the position of one note relative to the one you just played....

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 09:09:50 AM »

Perhaps the name comes from the squeaky notes a gerbil can make...

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 01:32:54 PM »

Perhaps the name comes from the squeaky notes a gerbil can make...

so what animal is this..(veriy interesting series on tango rechnique for violin)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNtmKON3I0s&feature=related

(Jeremy Cohen)

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: