partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 01:13:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116402 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Finding expression/emotion in dance
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Finding expression/emotion in dance  (Read 1038 times)
pinkstuff
Bronze

« on: December 06, 2010, 08:06:09 AM »

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for this or can recall how they developed this aspect of their dancing.  For example:  how do you find your inner emotion to do a really expressive Rumba, and how do you learn to express? (Similar for other latin dances, ballroom etc)  I had this discussion at a class.  If I love the music I am dancing to, it is so much easier but obviously at competitions, we don't get to choose what we dance to :-).  I am curious to know what others have done.  Thanks!

Dance like you're going to fall over
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 10:34:54 AM »

One of way I was taught was you could create a story. So basically, you are acting based on the story. It is not easy to have this emotional expression just hearing the music, especially during the competition.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 12:49:58 PM »

I think thats why a lot of dancers simply learn expressions.  While that is obviously not ideal - its insincere - it is far more reliable since if you rely on real emotions you may just feel dreadful on the day of comp - or get distracted by a bad collision and then you might express what you are really feeling Shocked  Even that is a double edged sword though.  One dancer I know used a learned smile - but it was so grotesque that I couldn't watch him dance.  I've noticed that recently he has been reprogrammed ot only smile when he feels like it - such an improvement!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 01:41:33 PM »

Hmm, I don't think my learned smile is any good - I end up looking like some sort of cheshire cat, it is false, and totally agree that the chances are it looks terrible Grin  It is far more enjoyable to watch something real, and far easier to dance when it is real.

I guess I am not normally very expressive to others about how I am feeling so this aspect of dance I am finding difficult and something I need to learn how to do.  Story telling is the suggestion that I have also been given but I find it hard.  A friend suggested going to lyrical jazz.

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 02:24:44 PM »

But, how could you have a real emotion when you dance rumba with someone who is not your partner in your real life?  Roll Eyes Rumba is a dance of passion and love, and I don't know if it is possible dancing rumba with real emotion with someone who is not you partner in life. That's why I think that creating story and acting might work. The funny thing is this was taught one of female professionals with a husband as a her dance partner. She mentioned that putting too much emotion is not good especially in the competition. Like E mentioned it could create a disaster if you don't feel good.

Well, you really need to push the envelop, and my teacher also commented that it is not easy for him after dancing almost 30years, and he is an Italian. lol.....
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 03:34:33 PM »

Perhaps some of us are more demonstrative? How about imagining that your dance partner IS your liife partner? 
OK, I do realize that that might be a bit of a slippery slope....

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 03:37:43 PM »

How about imagining that your dance partner IS your liife partner? 

That is still acting, no??
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 04:09:11 PM »

Imagining doesn't have to be acting, you can still express a true emotion, or at least I think one can, similarly drawing on past experiences could help.  I don't think that Rumba is purely about love,  but it is a dance with lots of expressions/emotions.

I was thinking more of how to show emotions/feelings in dance, am not really explaining myself well.  For example, sometimes watching a competition eg Paso - some dancers just look like they are going through the motions of paso (and am not just talking about lower level or medallist competitions) where as others take you with them and you really are in the bull ring.  I'm having trouble working out how to find the ability to show that, may be I never will but I at least want to try!

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 05:56:43 PM »

How about imagining that your dance partner IS your liife partner? 

That is still acting, no??
well, only one step - in real acting you have to imagine all of it Shocked

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 05:58:36 PM »

Imagining doesn't have to be acting, you can still express a true emotion, or at least I think one can, similarly drawing on past experiences could help.  I don't think that Rumba is purely about love,  but it is a dance with lots of expressions/emotions.

I was thinking more of how to show emotions/feelings in dance, am not really explaining myself well.  For example, sometimes watching a competition eg Paso - some dancers just look like they are going through the motions of paso (and am not just talking about lower level or medallist competitions) where as others take you with them and you really are in the bull ring.  I'm having trouble working out how to find the ability to show that, may be I never will but I at least want to try!
Its sort of the $10K question.  A lot of it is actually how you dance - if you are centred, grounded and ballanced your dancing will look a lot more convincing than the alternatives.  Its one of the main ways I differentiate the good from the bad (for whatever thats worth Smiley ).

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: