partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 05:48:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116487 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Is Dancesport in decline?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print
Author Topic: Is Dancesport in decline?  (Read 8946 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2013, 11:39:24 AM »

Thanks!  I hadn't heard that.  I tried googling for more information, but all I could find was the show title. Ballroom Blitz.  The (sarcastic) TV commentator called it Dancing With the Stars, without the stars.

No idea what that means, but I will be watching,at least at the beginning.

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2013, 11:42:38 AM »

Actually, come to think of it, removing the celebrity aspect of it (and hopefully the public voting) might make the show a tad more realistic.

Less popular, but more realistic.

Dona nobis pacem.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #122 on: June 20, 2013, 12:15:03 PM »

Actually, come to think of it, removing the celebrity aspect of it (and hopefully the public voting) might make the show a tad more realistic.

Less popular, but more realistic.
I don't think there will be public voting, at least not when it comes to competition. They were actually filming heats those couples were in, their awards, etc.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2013, 12:23:40 PM »

If it's like TLC's other reality shows, it will be more like a documentary with a spin.  Still not real,but at least you won't have the public which knows nothing about dance influencing any results.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #124 on: June 20, 2013, 12:35:56 PM »

I was at Colorado Starball last weekend, and they were filming a new reality show which apparently will focus on pro-am competition, at least in some episodes. The TV people followed 2 pro-am couples competing in silver smooth on Saturday (they were also filming some stuff on Thursday and Friday, but I wasn't there). I have no idea what it will be called, or when it will be aired, but I think it will be on TLC channel. TV people were a nuisance, however. Everyone I talked to was happy to see them gone on Sunday.

interesting - so we are star material now eh? 
Where's my $1000000 contract.. Tongue

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #125 on: June 20, 2013, 12:58:25 PM »

I was at Colorado Starball last weekend, and they were filming a new reality show which apparently will focus on pro-am competition, at least in some episodes. The TV people followed 2 pro-am couples competing in silver smooth on Saturday (they were also filming some stuff on Thursday and Friday, but I wasn't there). I have no idea what it will be called, or when it will be aired, but I think it will be on TLC channel. TV people were a nuisance, however. Everyone I talked to was happy to see them gone on Sunday.

interesting - so we are star material now eh? 
Where's my $1000000 contract.. Tongue
AFAIK, they didn't pay the couples anything. Reality TV people seem to think that everyone wants to be on TV and will do anything for it.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2013, 01:02:56 PM »

Maybe they're right.  For some people, notoriety is pay enough.   And don't forget the Honey Boo Boo  phenomenon.  For some people, a spot on a reality show is the key to stardom.   Maybe that is a part of the reason why reality shows can be so unrealistic.  Everybody is trying to make him/herself into a star.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:30:12 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2013, 01:30:23 PM »

Maybe. I'm not sure which criteria they used to pick the couples. The ams they picked were both under 36, dancing silver smooth, so they competed against one another. One of them was local to the event and brought a lot of friends and relatives to watch. Another was from West coast (not 100% sure on that), and I'm assuming she was close enough to TLC base of operations to send a crew to film her at her home location, or maybe they picked the local girl first, and then picked one of her competitors. FWIW, my pro suggested that we apply and we've done so, but they didn't pick us and in the end we were happy they didn't, because having a TV crew follow our every step (almost literally, I overheard one of the chosen girls telling someone on Sunday, after the TV people were done, that they wouldn't even let her take her mike off when she went to the bathroom!) would be a major PITA.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2013, 02:41:34 PM »

Not for me - it really would cost them $100000!

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2013, 02:47:12 PM »

That's why they'd pick somebody else who'd charge them nothing.  There are a lot of people out there who just want to be on TV at any cost.  Kardashian, anyone?

I guess that, to me, the underlying question is whether ballroom on  TV  is really related to the success of dancesport at all.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #130 on: June 20, 2013, 03:03:52 PM »

That's why they'd pick somebody else who'd charge them nothing.  There are a lot of people out there who just want to be on TV at any cost.  Kardashian, anyone?

I guess that, to me, the underlying question is whether ballroom on  TV  is really related to the success of dancesport at all.

A reasonable question - no doubt it raised awareness and I think it brought more people in.  The question is how many stayed once the fad aspect wore off.  Probably not many - but a few is better than none.

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2013, 03:33:21 PM »

The problem with DWTS,IMV,is that it can mislead people into thinking that they're going to be good dancers in a few weeks.Hmm. Six weeks x a bunch of hours a day with a (n arguably) world class coach is not exactly a typical, affordable experience for most new ballroom recruits. Even if DWTS brought in a bunch of people, I wouldn't be surprised if the  drop-out rate was higher than usual.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2013, 03:48:03 PM »

yup; one week=one year Tongue

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2013, 03:50:49 PM »

The biggest difference I've seen is that people who secretly admired ballroom before (such as all my middle aged girlfriends lol) now feel free to admire it publicly.  One GF has had a mostly-shirtless picture of Maks on the wall in her office for years.  She says it's because she loves his dancing.  The six pack and the pectorals are just an added bonus.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2013, 05:04:30 PM »

The biggest difference I've seen is that people who secretly admired ballroom before (such as all my middle aged girlfriends lol) now feel free to admire it publicly.  One GF has had a mostly-shirtless picture of Maks on the wall in her office for years.  She says it's because she loves his dancing.  The six pack and the pectorals are just an added bonus.
Tongue

She's probably telling the truth - most women don't drool at beefcake really do they?  I think a great dancer is far sexier....

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: