partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 04:28:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116389 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Is Dancesport in decline?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Print
Author Topic: Is Dancesport in decline?  (Read 7950 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2011, 05:18:08 AM »

Part of the problem is they dont run it as a business and you need the money to run the comps. I can say that during my time they have improved but there is more to do....I have moved up to VP  once I get to be President....and hope then to take people along with me....encouraging some go getters to join the committee

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2011, 11:20:30 PM »

Do you think its possible we could have fights on the floor if a collision occurs? Seems to work for hockey. The males could act as peacemakers.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2011, 11:36:28 PM »

I would hedge my bets that it would be the girls that have to be the peacemakers but hey, could work, could work.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2011, 02:29:01 AM »

Do you think its possible we could have fights on the floor if a collision occurs? Seems to work for hockey. The males could act as peacemakers.
I would hedge my bets that it would be the girls that have to be the peacemakers but hey, could work, could work.

Its a partner dance.  Both have to go in swinging and then both try to sue for peace.  
And please maintain your timing, frame and ballance.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2011, 08:17:09 AM »

perhaps it needs to have a new style included....outside of the box dancing. not sure how it would work....people just need to be reaquainted with the joys of partner dancing.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2011, 01:23:51 PM »

Maybe they could have a pick-up dance as a heat during the competitions Smiley  Any two members of the audience NOT entered in the comp...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2011, 07:04:40 PM »

we do that. have a aucience section have done that several times. you can be dancing in registereted events or be a registered dancer...... sometimes you cant get people up! but we still do it.

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2011, 07:07:04 PM »

I wonder with all the latest controversy with Dancing that it is a help or hinderence. It has died down a bit here.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2011, 04:38:28 AM »

I wonder with all the latest controversy with Dancing that it is a help or hinderence. It has died down a bit here.

hindrance - it must surely put people off from starting.  Looks like a looser's career...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2011, 08:08:51 PM »

hindrance - it must surely put people off from starting.  Looks like a looser's career...

well this couple tipped off the media (or their supporters).. so are they to blame for the fiasco....when I heard what they did I wonder to whose benefit this action was going to support....

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2011, 09:22:22 PM »

well this couple tipped off the media (or their supporters).. so are they to blame for the fiasco....when I heard what they did I wonder to whose benefit this action was going to support....

How can you blame them so unrelentingly?   If the organizations had not set up the absurd restrictions in the first place there would be nothing to 'tip off'.  As I see it bringing in the media is only secondary to the situation created by the organizations and the competition.  The organizers did not HAVE to evict them.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2011, 09:30:15 PM »

hindrance - it must surely put people off from starting.  Looks like a looser's career...

How can you blame them so unrelentingly?   If the organizations had not set up the absurd restrictions in the first place there would be nothing to 'tip off'.  As I see it bringing in the media is only secondary to the situation created by the organizations and the competition.  The organizers did not HAVE to evict them.

I agree evicting them was absolutely ridiculous...I hear there may be impending legal action.....the person that I shall not name has been quite [criitical ee] in their approach and this is now coming to bite them. And DanceSport Australia has been fence sitting terribly. Saying we did not ban couples but respect the organisers. Well if this even is run under dancesport rules then they have a right to say something!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:00:12 PM by elisedance » Logged

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2013, 11:35:41 AM »

To answer the OP, I don't think that dancesport is in decline, per se. I do think that the tight economy has made things more challenging.  People have less disposable income and are less likely to take up such as expensive hobby,  I think.  Or, if they're already involved, it's likely they'll spend less. 

So, I would imagine, smaller comps might have to work harder to get entries.  The big name comps will always succeed,IMHO.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2013, 01:43:08 AM »

There seem to be less and less entries in the comps here - so I think its on a down-swing, if not a decline.  But maybe its different elsewehre?

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2013, 05:33:16 AM »

I really don't follow comps, so I can only pass on what I have heard. One example I have heard is from a large studio on the east coast of the US, which trains a lot of am/am competitors as well as having a large pro-am student body.  According to one of the studio co-owners, their business is down about 40% over the past few years.  He attributes this to the poor economy.

I don't know if the economy is the issue or not.  I suppose we'll have to wait until the economy rebounds and see if ballroom rebounds with it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:37:14 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: