partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 06:38:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Is Dancesport in decline?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Print
Author Topic: Is Dancesport in decline?  (Read 7443 times)
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2011, 11:57:46 AM »

This Dec we only attended Holiday dance classic in Vegas and Yuletide ball in DC.

Holiday classic was very well-attended for open pro, RS and open am events for both standard & latin. Was fun and festive comp, lots of people showed up for partying and fun and vacation, trying to combine a comp with a vacation.

Yuletide is getting better participation compared to last year. But since it’s right after new year, most of events are straight final, might not be good idea to put immediately after new year eve, when lots of people whole night party and drinking, most pros or open am couples don’t plan to dance comp at new year day. We slept only 4 hours from the New Year eve house party and drinking, somehow made it to comp. Lots of couples just forget about competing.

Organizer of Yuletide ball is considering to modify the dates to be before New Year Eve to encourage attendance for next year. So most couples could drink & party all they want after dance the comp! 

I think December is a festive week, not bad idea to have comps combined with vacation/celebration. As long as avoid New Year eve, attendance should not be a problem.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2011, 06:05:19 PM »

Yuletide is getting better participation compared to last year. But since it’s right after new year, most of events are straight final, might not be good idea to put immediately after new year eve, when lots of people whole night party and drinking, most pros or open am couples don’t plan to dance comp at new year day. We slept only 4 hours from the New Year eve house party and drinking, somehow made it to comp. Lots of couples just forget about competing.

Organizer of Yuletide ball is considering to modify the dates to be before New Year Eve to encourage attendance for next year. So most couples could drink & party all they want after dance the comp! 
My teacher likes Yuletide ball for some reason, but honestly with it being right after New Year's eve I see it as an event for single unattached individuals, so I never considered going there. As for the idea that moving it forward before New Year's will improve attendance, I strongly doubt it will work, with previous weekend being so close to Christmas.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2011, 06:57:38 PM »

Perhaps studios could offer come and try days...advertised in the paper. No pressure, fun simple dances learnt. One-on-one attention as much as possible (Competent AMs could be enlisted to help with the "coaching"). All aimed to show newbies that ballroom is fun and easy. Focus not on technique, but on getting each couple to move together in a way that works....if they're not comfy with a ballroom hold, no matter, just try to get the steps at the same time.

A lot of other sports have a similar thing...come and try days for the kids, win a free coaching with a pro, etc. It'd be great to get that sort of thing in ballroom, because it would expose people more...ballroom would be less of a secluded sport that's hard to get into.
I have seen such - indeed, thats how I did my first lesson!  But don't you think that the expert/glitz can also be intimidating for a new potential dance couple?  Thats kinda where I started with the grass-roots concept: its supposed to be a bridge from 'I can dance a bit' to 'I want to go to a real competition and compete'.
Our studio held some sort of "come and try" open house, but I don't know if it gained a lot of new business because of it. AFAIK, the promotion which generated most of return was advertising to couples around valentine's day "Come and learn how to slow dance with that special someone" or something along these lines.

However, a few times I had the impression that beginners coming into the studio are intimidated by advanced dancers, period. Once, for example, I had a lesson at the same time as a lower-level couple and they specifically asked their teacher to work on something I am not working on at the moment so that they do not look bad by comparison (I don't know if they were newbies, I know too many folks around here who danced for years and contently stayed somewhere around bronze).
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2011, 03:57:59 AM »

I agree about that top class dancers can be quite overwhelming for lower level dancers. I think it is great to have social level comps etc to encourage others. those on the rise admire top class dancers without being intimidated.

I think the issues that are causing a decline is worldwide and that all governing bodies need to be serious about rectifying it. I dont believe that it should be up to the studios alone

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2011, 04:01:05 AM »

Internectine battles for power at the top are certainly not helping - no sport can survive unless its organization can be seen to be influence free.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2011, 07:04:25 PM »

Wrt dancesport as a spectator sport.

This year Colorado Star Ball has world standard champions, Arunas and Katusha, doing the show. However, my own presence at CSB is unlikely due to other things going on. I told my parents about both of those facts. Their reaction was "we're sure she's a beautiful dancer, but unless you're there, we won't go watch" (the venue is 20 minutes from their house, it's not like we're talking about a long drive).

I think this is true for a lot of non-dancing spectators in the audience - they're there to watch their family members and friends first of all. They'll watch everyone else as an added bonus, but unless their main attraction - friend/relative - is there, they simply won't come. So, if a world champion is not a sufficient attraction, I don't think other competitors and events (pro events, open am-am, open pro-am) can hope to be an attraction. So much for that.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2011, 08:53:57 PM »

People just coming to watch dancing seem to be few and far between.  Last year one of the comp organizers told me that he could not count on getting spectators outside of competitors waiting for their heats and the parents and grandparents coming to watch the kids and grandkids.  Even the parents and grandparents would leave as soon as their kids and grandkids were done. 

I do believe one of the problems is that organizers don't really advertise the comps outside of the dance community.  People won't come if they don't know about it but I think in many cases it may be due to the fact that they can't afford to advertise.

Spectator costs can be steep too.  If you have you and your husband go watch it can cost $140.00 or much more for the evening.  If you are just checking dancing out to see if it would be interesting to watch then tossing out that much cash to go can be a bit daunting and a deciding factor for giving it a pass.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2011, 09:08:06 PM »

I do believe one of the problems is that organizers don't really advertise the comps outside of the dance community.  People won't come if they don't know about it but I think in many cases it may be due to the fact that they can't afford to advertise.

That's true, but see, even people who're aware of the event happening (i.e. they spectated the year before because their friend or relative was dancing there) for most part aren't interested in coming back just to watch.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2011, 09:26:23 PM »

I agree.  Perhaps it is too repetitive seeing the same ladies in 20 different heats  After awhile it gets mind numbing even to those that dance let alone those that don't.  The Pros at the end may be fun to watch but that ends up being a very short amount of time for what the cost is.  I have also heard many say that the Pros get to the point where they are trying to be so creative that you can't recognize each dance they do anymore.  I have gone three or four times to showcases with world ranking competitiors and if it were not for the music you would not be able to really relate what they were doing to the dance they were trying to do.  Each time after about the third dance I looked around and I could see they were starting to lose the audience.  With the tickets being $150 a couple many thought twice about coming back.

In another case a couple of the top dancers from Dancing With the Stars put on a show and almost everyone I talked to felt they would never go back to see this couple again.  The couple was completely unprepared and the dances were rough and some of the people said they felt they were burned for their money.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2011, 11:00:19 PM »

I think this is true for a lot of non-dancing spectators in the audience - they're there to watch their family members and friends first of all. They'll watch everyone else as an added bonus, but unless their main attraction - friend/relative - is there, they simply won't come. So, if a world champion is not a sufficient attraction, I don't think other competitors and events (pro events, open am-am, open pro-am) can hope to be an attraction. So much for that.

You've got it.  The essence of 'dancesport' is family and friend supporters - though there are a few adimers ex dancers etc who want to stay connected or just want to see some beautiful dancing.

Personally, I think they could make the comps more interesting as a spectator sport - lets face it once you've watched one round with 5 sandard dances why does a non-dancer want to see another?  No attempt is even made to explain to the audience why there are so many different heats - its all about getting through as many dance comps as possible.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2011, 10:08:20 PM »

I agree with you ee.  They barely make it that interesting for competitors let alone spectators. 

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2011, 06:16:45 AM »

the way the things have been done in the past needs to be changed, unfortunately I have to deal with this weekly, you have the old guard that are not ready to give up their hold and want to keep doing what they have always done.

We have our first comp in a few weeks and I have managed to get an article in the local paper and will be going on two radio shows next week. I do hope that this will attract spectators from the general public.

So the answer is to get more people into the sport and  we are having that discussion with our local competitors group saying that the cost of participation which is becoming cost prohibitive.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2011, 07:58:20 AM »

the way the things have been done in the past needs to be changed, unfortunately I have to deal with this weekly, you have the old guard that are not ready to give up their hold and want to keep doing what they have always done.

We have our first comp in a few weeks and I have managed to get an article in the local paper and will be going on two radio shows next week. I do hope that this will attract spectators from the general public.

So the answer is to get more people into the sport and  we are having that discussion with our local competitors group saying that the cost of participation which is becoming cost prohibitive.

qv the grass-roots comps, I think they would work.  Trouble really is no one wants to do something unless it makes them immediate cash - and THAT is the real problem with dancesport; its too money driven - and the people who put the money in are getting smarter...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2011, 08:21:07 AM »

The group I work with do Grass group comps but they are not always well supported by dancers....but we have many in roads last year and all our comps covered their costs, but it is gettingit out there and try to get new people into the sport. If it were not for the masters there would be no competition  Undecided

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2011, 10:55:42 PM »

Wow QPO, you are totally describing up here too.  Old guard trying to control things for their own personal interests and the costs of participation.  Yes, we need to get rid of the old diseased growth so the newer less corrupt growth can come up.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: