partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 12:32:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Is Dancesport in decline?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: Is Dancesport in decline?  (Read 9100 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2013, 08:37:13 AM »

well as you know I organise comps and we are having one in a few weeks. everyone enters at the last moment so that is a worry, when I ask abut entries to ours the other day the person collecting them had only received 1. which I believe was mine Undecided

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2013, 09:34:03 AM »

well as you know I organise comps and we are having one in a few weeks. everyone enters at the last moment so that is a worry, when I ask abut entries to ours the other day the person collecting them had only received 1. which I believe was mine Undecided

That's odd.  You do non-profit, relatively low-cost, comps, right?  For some reason, I assumed that those would not have been hit as hard as more expensive comps.  Hmm.   Undecided

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2013, 04:35:51 AM »

I think one factor is the decline of the big TV shows DWTS etc. 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2013, 07:09:27 AM »

Yes.  The novelty of those shows is wearing off.  So, presumably, there are fewer new bodies coming through the door.  Apparently, the DWTS producers are thinking of revamping the show to appeal to a younger audience.  Maybe that will help.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2013, 09:45:24 PM »

Yes.  The novelty of those shows is wearing off.  So, presumably, there are fewer new bodies coming through the door.  Apparently, the DWTS producers are thinking of revamping the show to appeal to a younger audience.  Maybe that will help.
... or maybe that will take all the ballroom out of it.  We'll have parachute dancing and fire dancing and maybe butt dancing - but not ballroom Tongue

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2013, 10:06:44 PM »

From what I've read, the goal is to get younger "celebrities" and thereby attract younger viewers.  I think that the show itself is in decline but it has a core of faithful viewers -- middle aged ladies, if the water cooler conversations at work are anything to go by. I speculate that the producers won't be doing themselves any favors by getting celebs that their core viewers don't recognize.  The only way young celebs would to attract younger viewers would be if they had the cash to attract A-list celebs. (Which kind of defeats the purpose of reality TV - entertainment on a budget.)  Other than that, eh.  Just admit that the show has outlived its popularity and move on to something new.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2013, 04:00:45 AM »

OK - RIP DWTS; long live Huh

Whats the next TV dance show?

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2013, 05:32:35 AM »

well I dont understand why they cant do that with normal regular viewers as well. So you think you can dance dacnes not use celebrities. we had a show here that did it with normal dancers and it worked well, but sometimes the costs is too high as it was not a commercial TV station that ran it.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2013, 06:40:12 AM »

Nothing lasts forever, and the blush is definitely off this rose. *shrug*  There are also copycat dance competition shows to contend with.  I think the next season will be pivotal. The format of the show is set to change back to one night only -- no resullts show. Maybe streamlining will help the show survive. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2013, 06:43:01 AM »

Maybe got to the point of squeezing dance out of a stone.... best to move on...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2013, 01:03:44 AM »

The SYTYCD here in Canada died a swift death.  Pulled under water and drowned due to politics, ego and greed. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2013, 01:17:14 AM »

We won't have to worry about competitions up here soon enough.  We lost well over 100 more competitors this year and added to the ones that have already left we are like a sinking ship with nobody bothering to try and bail or make repairs. As for competitions the battle of egos and pride is killing them off just as quickly.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2013, 01:30:28 AM »

We won't have to worry about competitions up here soon enough.  We lost well over 100 more competitors this year and added to the ones that have already left we are like a sinking ship with nobody bothering to try and bail or make repairs. As for competitions the battle of egos and pride is killing them off just as quickly.

perhaps its a catharsis -when there is no more pot to fight over the diners go elsewhere - opening things up for a renaissance...

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2013, 05:31:24 AM »

Hi R!  Nice to meet you.  Smiley

You mentioned ego damaging dancesport in two posts.  I don't know what you mean.  (I'm not from Canada, so I'm pretty ignorant about the goings on there.)  Are there any particulars that you're comfortable sharing?   Cool

Dona nobis pacem.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2013, 11:32:55 AM »

I was at Colorado Starball last weekend, and they were filming a new reality show which apparently will focus on pro-am competition, at least in some episodes. The TV people followed 2 pro-am couples competing in silver smooth on Saturday (they were also filming some stuff on Thursday and Friday, but I wasn't there). I have no idea what it will be called, or when it will be aired, but I think it will be on TLC channel. TV people were a nuisance, however. Everyone I talked to was happy to see them gone on Sunday.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: