partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 07:41:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116503 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Is it possbile to compete only in the Standard dances and not in the Latin?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Is it possbile to compete only in the Standard dances and not in the Latin?  (Read 514 times)
GoldStar
pre-bronze

« on: November 30, 2010, 05:15:35 PM »

Hi guys,

I dance ballroom for a year now. I'm 18 years old.
I like the Latin dances but not as much as the Std dances (Slow waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, etc).
I just saw that there are so many levels and stuff and now I'm a little bit confused.

If I look on this competition (in my country) - International Dance Sport Festival Ashdod:
http://www.dancero.co.il/festival-ashdod/programme.html

It seems like if you are an adult you must (and I'm 18.. adult) compete in Latin too.

Is it right? I must learn Latin even though I really prefer not too?  Tongue
What "Open" means?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 05:17:15 PM by GoldStar » Logged
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 06:32:27 PM »

Hi GoldStar,  Certainly you do not have to compete in latin.  My son is dancing in adult and has done so since he was 17 - he is now 25.  He hates latin and hasn't competed in latin for at least 6 years.  He is doing very well just with Standard.  However his big love is New Vogue which is only danced in Australia and New Zealand.
We also have good friends who are among the top dancers in Australia - they only do standard but do it very well.  Don't feel pressured to dance styles you aren't comfortable with.

Open means just that - you compete against all comers - anybody can complete whereas graded events you are dancing against people of the same experience.

Welcome to pdo Smiley mummsie
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: