partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 03:29:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  lessons in London
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: lessons in London  (Read 1721 times)
Spiral
Intermediate Bronze

« on: November 14, 2010, 02:03:49 AM »

I'll be in London some time next year, for a holiday. Since the place must have some great teachers, I was thinking of taking some lessons.

I was looking at this place http://www.danceoptions.com. The list of their teachers looks quite impressive.

So, my question is... if you were in my situation, who would you take a lesson with?  Smiley (ballroom style). Anyone can recommend other teachers/studios?

Also, I have only been dancing for a couple of years so my knowledge is not that great. Is it going to be worth taking a lesson from a more accomplished teacher and work on basics that I could probably learn from a less accomplished one.

Messages from lurkers (if you are out there) are also welcome Cheesy

To thy self dance true --elisedance
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 04:37:41 AM »

S: From what I've gleaned taking lessons in England is a bit different from here.  One the structure is more formal - on the whole you join a studio to get a teacher, unlike here were you just call one up (a bit like the chain structure in the US).  However, at least some teachers (I don't know how this works, I hope someone can fill us in) do do paid private lessons outside this - but maybe just the top ones.  You may also have to demonstrate your dance level to get a lesson with the higher end teachers.

That said, it could be terrific.  If I was going I would want to get the most basic teaching possible. 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 03:08:45 PM »

I went to Cheam while there and although the studio is small compared to the ones I attend in Toronto, it's a serious studio for people who want to improve. They have many excellent teachers there but as mentioned, it can be hard to get on the schedule as their time is often booked.

If you are visiting I recommend you attend some of the Mr Wonderful dances, he's quite a character. Please say hello from Clinton in Toronto, Canada.

I have a friend there who is a British seniors champion, we danced a bit while I visited last time. I'll send her an email and see what she suggests
regards
clinton the salsa nut

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 09:59:20 PM »

Just have a good time while you are there.  If you get lessons think of it as a bonus.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Spiral
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 07:58:10 AM »

Thanks for all your comments! Might check Mr Wonderful out once I'm there. They seem to have a lot of socials.

To thy self dance true --elisedance
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 11:27:22 AM »

You don't need to join a studio to get lessons although some may charge you less per lesson if you book a group eg 5 lessons in one go.  The majority of teachers are independant so it is a question of finding one that you can work with, easier said than done.  Lots of studios around but some are quite expensive and more orientated towards social dancing & have parties every month.  Why don't you email Dance Options and see what they offer?   Also, studios that produce high quality dancers usually have high quality coaches even if they are not "names".

There are a few social dance events around eg tea dances at the Royal Opera House (although don't know what it is like but have seen the adverts).  The venue is worth it, if nothing else.

Dance like you're going to fall over
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 08:09:43 AM »

My friend in England also suggest danceoptions, said it was a good choice. This from a British Open champion...good recommendation.

I know Bournemouth has an excellent dance community with weekly dances at a good level. That being said if you're hitting London you should really take a day and travel to Blackpool to pay homage. Check the schedule to see what's happening. The Tower offers social dancing daily and the winter gardens should be seen and enjoyed if there are events while you're in ol' blighty.

I'll be honest with you and say I was a bit disappointed by the dancing in England. I made the most of it but all in all I don't feel it holds a candle to the weekly dancing wie have here in Toronto. I went to some of their best schools and found them pokey. Those Brits really do make the best of it! I enjoyed Blackpol and the salsa community, went to several Mr Wonderful dances, the big one in London near the new Wembly staduim was the best. Cheam is good.

But of course in London it's really hard getting around. The traffic is atrocious, it's an all day adventure just getting somewhere to dance, much more stressful than here because you have to drive there. I was fortunate and have a friend there with GPS, but even then it's a grind getting about. I did really enjoy Brighton, but there again - SALSA. I'm so glad I salsa because it adds more options to dancing generally. Ballroom is often limited to a few good places in each country but salsa is EVERYWHERE. Mixing the two means wherever I travel and I find decent dancing...

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 08:51:09 PM »

It's good to have options for sure.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 08:58:22 AM »

*bump*  Dance Options is still there and appears to still be a great option, for a traveler looking to check out the dance scene in London.

I started really thinking about the implications of this and decided it probably needs its own thread.  See you over there. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 09:31:48 AM »

Here.

foreign travel for dance -- How to get access to good coaches.

http://partnerdanceonline.com/index.php?topic=2403.0

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 08:20:24 PM »

I just misread this topic myself - fortunately I moderated my own post in time Grin

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: