partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 01:17:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Standing out in the early rounds...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Standing out in the early rounds...  (Read 4029 times)
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 02:58:53 PM »

I'm thinking a good test for checking topline is to do nat turns around floor in V. Waltz. If man/lady can maintain good balanced toplines while doing nat turns in V. Waltz, probably in good shape for other dances.

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 03:41:11 PM »

Thats certainly a great start - but we are going to have to go a bit further to make the 5th round... (seriously)

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 08:49:52 PM »

What we've been told is if that your top line is bad, a lot of judges will assume that your feet are also bad. If you've got a great top line, posture, and movement, then they'll assume the feet are also good. Mainly because it's difficult to maintain a good and natural top line if your feet are everywhere.

Is this common among high-level judges?  I know of at least one well known American-style judges who specifically looks at footwork.  I know because he commented on mine once.   Shocked
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 08:56:44 PM »

What we've been told is if that your top line is bad, a lot of judges will assume that your feet are also bad. If you've got a great top line, posture, and movement, then they'll assume the feet are also good. Mainly because it's difficult to maintain a good and natural top line if your feet are everywhere.

Is this common among high-level judges?  I know of at least one well known American-style judges who specifically looks at footwork.  I know because he commented on mine once.   Shocked

Probably not. I've seen a lot of judges look almost religiously at footwork, and appear to not look at topline much at all. But I've also seen judges who look at everything pretty evenly. I guess it depends on the judge, and his/her personal beliefs.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 09:08:35 PM »

Our results seem to vary more reliably with topline than anything else.  When it is stable, shaped and relaxed we do well and when not, less so.  Of course the topline is indicative of far more than hold and shape since its hard to create a good one unless you have ballance and move together etc.

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 09:33:30 PM »

So glad you are going for it E!! Please pm me thanks
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 03:57:49 PM »

Blackpool early rounds could be like a battle and very frustrating if some stupid foreign couples who have no idea of floor craft and got into your way and get you stuck, sometimes not only one, could be 2 or 3 or a pack of them surrounding you, could be very bad luck sometimes, so really need to master the art of maneuver across the floor with ease, and a test of true partnership of leading and following.  In early rounds of amateur and professional, many couples are really terrible of floor craft and I’ve got kicked and tripped and fell on the floor, could be crazy and out of control, really have to be strong on feet and good connection with floor and partner. It could be really like a war, routine depends, not all basic, something keep you flowing like pivots when no one in the way, or lines, or basics when many floor problems. Hate floor problems, but unfortunately we all have to deal with this.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 04:07:03 PM »

Ee your blue should stand out, now they changed the color of floor to be lighter so actually darker dresses does stand out; I remember one year Katusha’s younger sister Anna had a light pestal colored dress and looked washed out in early rounds, K immediately bought a dark blue dress for Anna the next day from winter garden dress vendor, it was a similar shade of blue of your blue dress; other bright color such as orange, red, bright pink, electric or turquoise blue (my turquoise blue tulle should work too)Wink all should be visible. Black dresses must be worn with contrasting bright floats or bright contrast pattern, otherwise could be easily missed. So please save your black dress for later rounds

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 09:32:23 AM »

Thanks SD.  Well, my colour should work - unless there is a craze for blue next year Cheesy 

Keeping moving - very important not to get intimidated by the mass.  But to keep moving do you create a really simple routine base for the early rounds?  Something that is easy to steer and yet shows off your excellent form?
ee

YES!!! Simple Simple---and make sure it keeps moving!
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 07:21:03 PM »

There is a lot of insights to dance a big competition like the British Open. I will work to get the insights organized in a manner that it would be helpful. I will be back in a couple days with the information. Smiley

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 09:15:42 PM »

i REALLY NEED this for April DSV so please dig in Smiley

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »

Any help you can give DSV would be greatly appreciated.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 06:03:52 PM »

This may not help much however, we were barely scrapping the bottom of the recall at earlier round of a big national comp since both of us weren't well known. We danced better than most of the 80 odds couples and end up getting just enoughvote for recall out of round 1.

From then on we were sort of moving up bit by bit as the rounds progressed and end up making the final.

We danced as well in the first round as we were in the final.

When a couple is not well known sometimes I find that judges just don't look at them.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 06:58:29 PM »

When a couple is not well known sometimes I find that judges just don't look at them.

We need an extra topic on this - the judges must have some sort of cheat sheet to make sure the ranking dancers get into the final...

dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 08:59:41 PM »

I think they just tend to pick familiar faces off the crowds first then look around and see who else is left.

At the end we still made the finals but we might as well get dropped in the first round.

It was that close !
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: