partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 10:23:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Standing out in the early rounds...
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Standing out in the early rounds...  (Read 3325 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: November 06, 2010, 03:04:50 AM »

So we plan to compete at Blackpool next year.  Which led me to look at the entries in previous years - about 220 couples (omitting last years boycotted comp which still had >160).  Which then led me to wonder anew - what is the best way strategically to handle the early rounds?

Obviously the floor is going to be crowded - I have no idea how many couples in each heat (anyone know?).  Obviously also, it can not matter much exactly what steps you do since the judges are going to see you (if they see you at all) for a few seconds.  Getting through the first two rounds is probably about getting checks one by one (they check a couple they like) and not really about a competition at all. 

I'm guessing not making mistakes is critical - the judges will want to weed out the dancers without floor craft for the later rounds.  Also the fundamentals of being on time and in ballance.  But what else is key??

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 12:35:01 PM »

Don't know, but try to stay as close as judges or take good spots to start that judges could see you guys better.
Maybe you want to talk your partner and where you guys want to start or something.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 11:22:56 PM »

sell sell sell, is what you have to do reember it is a perforamce... and you must sell that you know what you are doing!. if you look slightly hesitant scared or borded they want give you a scond glance.....we have friends that are wonderful dancers but never get out of the seond round because of that. Undecided

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 06:33:05 PM »

I wonder if it's better strategy to start near the judges, or start elsewhere and be near the judges near the end of the heat?  If they only see  you at the start, they may have forgotten about you by the time they mark their sheets.  But if you don't get to them until the very end, they may have already made up their minds.  Assuming the heats are 1 minute, would you want to be in front of them at about the 45-second mark?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 07:09:31 PM »

some people make routines that move fast so that they can be before each judge more often - I suppose staying to the centre of the floor might achieve the same thing...

pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 08:02:14 PM »

I'm thinking if floor is crowded, judges can't see much of footwork or technique of couples. So besides other basic factors, maybe judges also looking at top lines and posture. That's easier to see in crowded floor. If not so good top line/posture, you're out. Does that sound reasonable?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:05:11 PM by pruthe » Logged

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 08:52:06 PM »

Sounds like it pruthe.  Actually, many judges only look at top lines all the time!  But you've only got the top line you've got (which is as good as you can make it) Wink so what else can you control?

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 09:16:07 PM »

What we've been told is if that your top line is bad, a lot of judges will assume that your feet are also bad. If you've got a great top line, posture, and movement, then they'll assume the feet are also good. Mainly because it's difficult to maintain a good and natural top line if your feet are everywhere.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 09:37:16 PM »

But lets assume that 12/13 couples (us included) have a great topline... what should one DO to get noticed?

standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 10:21:01 PM »

early rounds could be like 20-30 couples on the floor, it's crazy and very crowded, some of the couples have no idea of floor craft, so don't be surprised some couples going against line of dance and got in your way. Floor craft is important, don't get stuck at one place, if floor problem, change direction and keep moving. Keep good connection with DP and follows wherever he goes, there is only 2 mins for each dance, if 30 couples on floor, judge has less than 4 seconds to look at each couple, it does not matter what  you dance, just have to keep clean posture, nice frame, and KEEP MOVING, don't get stuck. Bright dresses are more visible in early rounds than black or dark dress IMO.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »

Thanks SD.  Well, my colour should work - unless there is a craze for blue next year Cheesy 

Keeping moving - very important not to get intimidated by the mass.  But to keep moving do you create a really simple routine base for the early rounds?  Something that is easy to steer and yet shows off your excellent form?
ee

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 12:38:28 AM »

Here's a question while we're on the topic... how do they do a round with that many couples?  Do they divide them up into groups tournament-style?  If so, do all of the heats in a a round dance to the same music?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 05:08:03 AM »

That IS a divided heat C!  There will be upwards of 200 couples in Blackpool in our heat.  So 25 will still require 8 preliminary heats Shocked

pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 07:19:53 AM »

Sounds like it pruthe.  Actually, many judges only look at top lines all the time!  But you've only got the top line you've got (which is as good as you can make it) Wink so what else can you control?
I've been continuing on working to improve posture and top line. Do you think yours and partner can not get any better? Might be more tweaks that can be made. Suggestions by SD and others sound good. I think it's a good plan to keep to minimum number of figures that you can execute perfectly so that when judge see you for that 4 secs, he/she sees quality stuff.

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 01:52:28 PM »

Topline is always a work in progress; just when you think you are there, you really have just started...

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: