partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 05:39:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116183 Posts in 1853 Topics by 220 Members
Latest Member: elam63
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Maple Leaf Classic 2010
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Maple Leaf Classic 2010  (Read 1625 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: November 06, 2010, 02:03:07 AM »

Toronto full-slate ballroom comp.

Nov 6th-Nov7.  Delta Meadowvale Resort

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 02:09:02 AM »

We're entered but will not dance due to a bothersome injury... Shame, I've competed in every MLC since it started 7 years ago...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 07:03:11 PM »

Really good competition.  We had a great time and it was nice to have a good changeroom with water and candies even.  I don't think the men got the water and candies though. 

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 07:11:33 PM »

Twas a lot of fun - congrats by the way, you and R-DP did very well indeed (wish you would report on the 'results' topic).  As I see it, one more win and you are upstairs!

We had fun, even if from the stands.  I can't remember the last time I've been to a competition to only watch - no stress, just keeping tabs...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 08:13:13 PM »

A couple of our other competitors came up and mentioned that we have gotten all our wins and they may be right.  I don't overly keep track though I guess I should.  Usually OADA would come up and tell us that we had to move on and I have come to depend on it.  We end up going by how we feel about the win, not the win.  We were not happy about our wins in the M.L. as we were eratic due to trying out some new routines for the first time together on the floor (yes, only we are crazy enough to do that) and Paul was not feeling well at all which made us dance poorly.  It is more about how we feel about ourselves rather than how the judges feel about us.  The trophies are not as important as how we dance together, that is the real goal, to be as one.  On the other hand I was really proud of my DP, we went really funky in the first division out in front of large crowd but he pulled the new routines together quickly and though they were still wonky he got better each time out.  He had to try and remember the new move or timing, lead me, negotiate the floor, try and do them up to timing for the first time and kind of look like we both knew what the heck we were doing while not feeling well.  How we would place was mute as for me as that was the real accomplishment right there. 

We have been lucky to have won most in the last while but I think it was a win, maybe Burlington that I had not thought of that maybe they did.  Anyway, we thought what the heck, we have been successful enough in Pre-Champ to go on and some of our instructors have said to get up and on with it.  We can keep working the technique in Champ and that is what is important, developing the dancing, not the winning.  We also want to get our latin out on the floor and getting together once a week makes it difficult to be able to do both .  If we leave the Standard for awhile we can get the latin out there by the Chairities in Dec..  The latin is stronger for us but we have not danced through the routines much in the last few months so we have to give it the time to be able to do this.

Thanks for cheering us on ee, even though you must have had to put your hands over your eyes here and there.   Grin  I love the way you had your hair, very nice.  Perfect for going out to dance latin with too, hint, hint.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 08:54:13 PM »

Wins don't count unless there was at least 6 couples on the floor - I think yours in Burlington was less than that wasn't it?  From your record on DSI you have two wins to date (as do we Wink ).  I wonder if we could graduate the same comp Smiley

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 10:37:36 PM »

That's what I thought but DSI is missing most of the comps and I'm not sure which they are speaking of.  Perhaps they are thinking we have won too much and should not be hanging around and this we have been told by some of our instructors and judges as well so I guess they have a point.  I mentioned to DP that thought I have not overly been keeping track we have won quite a bit and where there was five the missing couples were non-contenders so all they did was give a number not a challenge.  To me an offical win with say four good couples and two non-contenders is not really an official win as it is just numbers, not quality and the syllabus ranks has been plagued with that the last couple of years.  Back in the old days there were 12 to 17 of us and if you made top six it was because you were good and to get top three was that you were really good.  We realized we would never get the latin going if we kept hanging around and we did say that if we did well at this comp we would let it go.  We started to reconsider since we didn't like our dancing but that meant not giving the latin the time again so we had to weight it out.  One: We will not get six or more couples again for probably five months since we have heard that many are not going to do the Charities , Niagara nor Pol Can comps which means that to get an official win again for any of us may be near hopeless.  These days there are not enough people competitng anymore so you can be forever trying to get even one official win these days, especially in latin.  Two:  We are going to hang out waiting for two of the missing couples that are not contenders anways to show up.  They just make it a number so it doesn't matter.  Three:  The one after that is the Closed and if we would like to be able to go into it doing Champ then we can't just hang about waiting for people to finally decide that they would like to attend.  Four: We are already beating couples in Champ and some of the others in Champ we used to beat when we were with them in Gold and they moved themselves up, which 95% of them did so why are we waiting.  Five: We started in Pre-Champ at the Charities last year and hopefully we want to start our latin then too but to be able to do so we have to put Standard aside for a couple of months.  We can't do that (due to time) if we keep going with the Standard.  In the end by the time we got home we realized it was time to move on or put the time and money out to go to Quebec just to get another win in to make sure for sure we get our wins when nobody cares or does that any more anyways.  We would kick ourselves in the butt for wasting the time in the long run.    
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:04:03 PM by Rugby » Logged

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 10:48:42 PM »

Cheesy
then go for it - we are already dancing up and sometimes do quite well.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 12:32:31 AM »

Yes, we have a tendency to feel we are never ready and will keep going until it feels right, which of course never does because as you learn new things then you think you have to get that better first, then that better first and so on.  You never feel you are ready to move on until you have to or people start coming up to you and ask you what the h**l you are waiting for and you have to stop and think about it.  Then you have to think what are you proving by staying and is it actually holding you back.  If we stay our latin will suffer and soon we will just give up on it.  It is strong for us and don't want to lose it.  If we stay or leave will not make a difference to our Standard except get people thinking we are just hanging around to win, which is not the case.  I think taking the time off of Standard and coming back in Champ will be good for us.   

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 05:06:19 AM »

Why take time off?  Isn't that the whole point of pre-champ - to get you ready for Championship?  All you have to do is get VW running...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 11:55:06 AM »

We have started the V.W. but the time off would be for the latin.  The problem with only being able to practice once a week is that it is hard to devote time to both Standard and Latin.  Our Latin has been suffering for our Standard and if we want to get it out on the floor for Dec. or Jan. we have to give the time to it and just do what we can with the Standard.  That is the greatest frustration and cause for arguements, being a 3 hour round trip drive in good weather away from each other.   

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 11:53:49 PM »

Results are posted:
http://www.ontariodancesport.com/
with score sheets - but I think they are incomplete. 

cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 05:17:28 PM »

Yes, it was a close one. We won two of the dances and came 3rd in two; Ruby won one dance came 2nd in three. One point difference between us,, the same as the four seasons I think. The Ontario Open was a very one sided win for us against a bigger field but there you have it, you can't always predict what the judges will favour. It would suggest that the "superior technique" remark was a bit gratuitous (though I remember they did tell us the same thing when we won the Ontario Open).

It's a shame you're moving up without waiting for the win, Ruby. I understand the reasons but we would have had some fun compeittion. It's a bit of a shame, I know you've bemoaned the lack of competition, the easy wins while dancing your worst. Now some competition shows up and off you go. Well, your have to follow your plan and I understand your reasoning.

Some exciting times ahead, God willing. Silvie's been off work since Sunday with the flu and she's pulled a muscle in her shoulder. Not good, I had problems earlier this year with a rotator cuff injury from serving in tennis, it just reminds me how lucky we all are to be healthy.

We went to see social network today. Excellent film, if you get a chance.
Best regards
CSN 

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 05:27:14 PM »

It's a shame you're moving up without waiting for the win, Ruby. I understand the reasons but we would have had some fun compeittion. It's a bit of a shame, I know you've bemoaned the lack of competition, the easy wins while dancing your worst. Now some competition shows up and off you go. Well, your have to follow your plan and I understand your reasoning.

And what are the rest of us CDN?  Dogsmeat?

Pride comes before ...

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 06:00:11 PM »

Besides, I think you missed the point: R has three wins and HAS to move up. 

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: