partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 01:08:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Argentine Tango (Moderators: captain jep, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Nuevo Tango and Chicho?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Nuevo Tango and Chicho?  (Read 826 times)
Subliminal
Intermediate Bronze

« on: November 03, 2010, 11:53:13 PM »

Had the chance to take some classes with Chicho and Juana last month. I enjoyed their classes, it was something a little bit different than most of what gets taught around here.

Some people had trouble following the concepts behind his classes, but they actually seemed a little familiar to me... Chicho talks a lot about using compression to build up energy... also active participation of the follower, particularly in staying connected... lots of leaning and off-axis movements... and the use of momentum.

These things can all be found in the swing dances. While tango is a completely different dance, it seems like Chicho is really just incorporating some of the rudimentary concepts of swing into tango, while maintaining the tango vocabulary. That was my impression at least. I'm not putting him down at all, it just seems less mysterious now that I've seen it in action. Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 04:44:49 AM »

Sounds to me as if these can be found in ALL partnerdances, in some form or other.  After all, there are just so many ways for two people to dance together, in particular if only one knows whats going to happen next... Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Subliminal
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 12:14:37 AM »

Sounds to me as if these can be found in ALL partnerdances, in some form or other.  After all, there are just so many ways for two people to dance together, in particular if only one knows whats going to happen next... Smiley

That's true! Smiley

I suppose swing came to mind, as that's my second best dance after AT.

On an interesting side note, one thing about their style that I noticed from the follower's perspective is that the follower has to be ready to keep connection by any means necessary. For example, one of the steps they showed was a colgada with the leader letting go with his arms. If the follower isn't ready to hold on, she falls on her butt. Cheesy Definitely not the kind of style you could just lead anyone in, they'd have to be open to the same ideas.
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 06:32:57 AM »

That's true! Smiley

I suppose swing came to mind, as that's my second best dance after AT.

On an interesting side note, one thing about their style that I noticed from the follower's perspective is that the follower has to be ready to keep connection by any means necessary. For example, one of the steps they showed was a colgada with the leader letting go with his arms. If the follower isn't ready to hold on, she falls on her butt. Cheesy Definitely not the kind of style you could just lead anyone in, they'd have to be open to the same ideas.

that is tricky because if her arm isnt in the right place she can pull him off balance; as is often the case with followers who dont have confidence they grab thier partner to save themselves. its better if the leader has hold of her with his right hand on her shoulder blade.

as to the first post; its what Icall tango dynamics; the exchange of energy between partners. I dont think it has anything to do with swing than similarity..

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: