partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 02:02:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116457 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Argentine Tango (Moderators: captain jep, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Q,Q,S pattern in grapevine?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Q,Q,S pattern in grapevine?  (Read 4563 times)
Subliminal
Intermediate Bronze

« on: November 02, 2010, 12:02:08 AM »

So I figured something out the other day when I was following. This was kind of an "Aha!" moment, perhaps some of you already understood this... but I figured out why some teachers teach followers to use the Q, Q, S pattern in the turn/grapevine.

The length of the follower's step in the turn changes depending on how far away she is and how much pivot the leader is allowing her. So the closer she is, the less pivot she needs, and the more equal her steps are. But the farther she is, the more she needs to pivot to move around the leader, ESPECIALLY on the backstep. If the leader is rotating in the center at an equal speed, and leading her to follow by opening up his chest rather than leading the distance of each step, then at some point she will feel rushed on her backstep, because she can't step far enough. She has to throw in a quick step to "catch up", and then a small sidestep feels natural right after the quick backstep.

So in open patterns, leading the back, side, front as quick, quick, slow can feel quite natural. Whereas, in close, the timing doesn't matter as much, and S, S, S, can work just as well, sometimes better.

Of course, a good leader can match his momentum with the follower, deliberately slowing down the back step to do it in single time, even in large open steps. All things are possible. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 12:04:43 AM by Subliminal » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: