partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 08:01:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116385 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Comp 'Stuff' (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Scam Alert!!! for seller of dresses
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Scam Alert!!! for seller of dresses  (Read 1613 times)
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« on: October 25, 2010, 02:27:58 PM »

I received following scam email offering to buy one of my dresses listed on ballroomdancers dot com like this:
Hello Seller,
I read through the description of this DRESS last 2 days and i sent you an email but no reply. is it still available for sale, how long as it been owned and the final buy it now price, i will make shipping arrangements myself once we have agreed on a price...
Get back to me with the questions asked and your Full name and contact address so that i can issue the payment out to you overnight via Fedex on Tomorrow..you can send pictures or more description for me to be sure this is exactly what i`m looking for ..get back to me on sandrajeffson0@yahoo.com

I googled the person’s name “Sandra Jeffson”, guess what I found:
http://chat.qth.com/viewtopic.php?p=16540&sid=24560f19348ecc764d243952 a914c34f

this person was listed as scammer by other websites. I know he sounds fishy since my dress was listed as $1750 and he offered $1800 in an later email, unlike other scammers who approached seller a few years ago who offered a much higher price than selling price, so I’m not sure how this scam works, anyway, I immediately notified admins from ballroomdancers . com.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 02:29:36 PM »

Then after I told him I only accept paypal, money order or certified check, he replied below; I told admin of ballroomdancers . com to remove him

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Sandra Jeffson <sandrajeffson0@yahoo.com> wrote:
i would love to do it your way but i never use that service before and i dont even have a paypal account. the payment will be issue by this today and mail out to you so all i just want you to do for me now is take off the advert and keep all buyers away and also will like to know if i can fully consider the Dress as mine and also the payment will be coming to you Via fedex and also want you to know that the total amount that will be on the check will be $3,250 so all you are to do is deduct your Dress money which is $1,800 and get the rest money wire to my shipper Via western union or money gram for them to proceed with the pickup from your house and my other items which they're suppose to ship to my resident from Idaho. all charges will be deduct from the shipping company funds not yours and also will like to know if i can really trust you with my money and also hope you can handle all this for me , After the payment is made out... i will send you the shipper Western Union Money Transfer Details where to forward the fund too.
I will be glad to read from you soon.
Regard

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 02:36:10 PM »

...wait for the check, wait for it to clear and send her the dress... Wink
of course not much of that is very likely....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 05:41:22 PM »

Don’t need that fraud check. No time to deal with this, only post here to notify fellow PDOers not to do business with this scammer

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 06:49:56 PM »

thanks SD
[love the avatar!!]

standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 11:32:01 PM »

you are welcome, I hate hate hate scammers, really don't want any other dancers to be victims of this.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 08:51:54 AM »

...wait for the check, wait for it to clear and send her the dress... Wink
of course not much of that is very likely....

we have had to deal with them many times and they hack other peoples bankia ccount  you think you have the cash and then the bank will take the money out of your account when they realise it is is fraud and you have no dress Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 09:14:06 PM »

we have had to deal with them many times and they hack other peoples bankia ccount  you think you have the cash and then the bank will take the money out of your account when they realise it is is fraud and you have no dress Roll Eyes

Yep.  And in the U.S., you can be charged with fraud for presenting the check.
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 10:37:49 PM »

this is a common scam.  My daughter was offered a similar deal when she was trying to sell a car online - mongerals.  mm
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 01:30:48 AM »

My brother was looking to buy a car and noticed an ad that seemed odd.  The person had sold their car but the people that bought it changed their minds after they got the car and were going to ship it back.  If my brother wanted to buy the car they would ship it to him after they got the funds for the car.  My brother knew there really was no car and he would get burned and reported it.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 10:56:55 AM »

charged with fraud when you present the fraud check even you have NO KNOWLEDGE of the check is fraud?

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 09:22:06 PM »

I think she means after its been revealed in the expected way.  Of course the problem is tracing the person that cashed the check...

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 07:25:42 PM »

charged with fraud when you present the fraud check even you have NO KNOWLEDGE of the check is fraud?

Yes, sigh.  The law will say that you should have had reasonable suspicion that the check was fraudulent.
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 12:47:02 AM »

Yes, sigh.  The law will say that you should have had reasonable suspicion that the check was fraudulent.

wow you sound so technical !!!:) "reasonable suspicion", are you in the legal field specializing in banking regulation? WinkSmiley

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 02:27:45 PM »

So there are basically two different scams -- one where they try to trick you into sending a dress while paying with a bad check, the other where they try to try you into wiring them money?  Is that it?

And what can sellers do to protect themselves?  How does Paypal protect you from fraud?

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: