partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 05:56:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116457 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Judging (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  what are judges looking for?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: what are judges looking for?  (Read 7187 times)
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2011, 07:21:20 AM »

I absolute agree with timing, but I think that's more for eliminating couples from early rounds.

I think all the couples who have made the final after a few rounds of elimination would be on time.

I guess my question is more towards what is the one thing that judges look at for the couple to win.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2011, 08:14:41 AM »

1.  Timing
2.  Posture/Poise
3.  Shape/Swing/Sway/Lines/Rotations
4.  Centers and Body Actions
5.  Male/Female
6.  Footwork and Leg use
7.  Choreography – Balance/Character of dances
8.  Floor craft
9.  Grooming/Etiquette
10. Personality/Musical Interpretation

Well as DSV has put here their check list, once weeded out I would think it is someone who is easy to watch...because they would use all of the above.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2011, 08:49:52 AM »

5. Male/Female

This one is interesting - and dear to the heart.  Its something I could never get my exDP invested in - or maybe he just couldn't get into it.  For me dancing should be very much an expression of male/female relationships.  I think its the reason I have a problem with same-sex ballroom - even (I hasten to add) though I am a BIG believer in equality for everything - I just can't get over the male-female art aspect of ballroom dancing.  Thats not to say SS couples don't express this dynamic it just doesn't seem to work for me.  Perhaps its just my fault, that I'm too old to adapt.  I would be interested what younger dancers thing on this. 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2011, 02:08:01 PM »

I know a few younger dancers since I volunteer to help at University ballroom clubs, and I can tell you, they LOVE it.
GreenEyes26
Mind Workers
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2011, 02:42:01 PM »

I know a few younger dancers since I volunteer to help at University ballroom clubs, and I can tell you, they LOVE it.

I consider myself to be just out the "younger dancer" group and I agree - it's popular. I like it when it's a parody, same as reverse role dances. It's fun to watch a guy do the lady's parts in rumba, and watch a girl "jerk" the guy around in tango. I think of SS dances as "fun" and not to be taken seriously. I'm not too hip on them being a part of the official competitive world, though.

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2011, 03:32:27 PM »

I consider myself to be just out the "younger dancer" group and I agree - it's popular. I like it when it's a parody, same as reverse role dances. It's fun to watch a guy do the lady's parts in rumba, and watch a girl "jerk" the guy around in tango. I think of SS dances as "fun" and not to be taken seriously. I'm not too hip on them being a part of the official competitive world, though.

I love to reverse roles - and I'm pretty good at it (I think I shocked exDP once or twice Wink ) so I am DEFINITELY not against it and am happy to support SS couples and competitions.  Still, like you it I still feel it takes something away from what ballroom is to me.  Maybe its something more in a different direction and maybe SS couples feel exactly the opposite - indeed, I think thats more than likely.  .... I knew this would be a hot potato (still Wink ).

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: