partnerdanceonline.com
October 24, 2014, 07:05:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running a competition  (Read 1960 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 04:37:19 AM »

Wow.  It will also be a great thing to put on your CV - this is real organization and leadership, something that you may not get much chance to do in your regular job.  Who knows, maybe when you retire this could be a second occupation....

Hope all goes smoothly...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 11:11:20 PM »

Well the competition has been run and we are now unwinding.  From all reports everyone loved it. We tried to think of everything to make the week-end go smoothly and by all accounts I think there were only a few hiccups.

We intend to have a debrief this week to go through what worked what did not and what we can do to make it better for next year.

the week-end started with Lecture series of the three different styles that we do in Australia. One of the girls on our committee decorated the venue with flowers and fabulous lighting. V did take photos so when I can get my hands on them I will post some. The social went really well and smoothly and a national personality hosted the event. We had people from every state attend as some of the interstate competitors came to the social as well.

The only thing was on the actual comp day we were not suppose to be available but of course that did not happen. If anything I learnt that all volunteers must meet prior to the event to know how the day will run. Also some of the older volunteers struggled with the new technology that we had used on the day.

We used a new electronic registering system of competitors and scoring which bamboozled them I think. So we had to find them other jobs to do!

The amount of competitors was not huge but as usual the Masters save the day!. Feedback was that they would be back and hopefully bring back others. They felt they were made welcomed and treated really nicely. Which is a big plus for us.

For people that had never run a comp before I felt there were some that were trying to watch us fail (another story in itself)
But we did not and pulled it off and it may look like we made a small profit! Small we are happy with, as at least we did not incur a loss. We offered prize money to most open sections, which was also an incentive for interstate competitors.

Next year is set and now that we covered our costs we can run it again feeling confident and learn from the mistakes of this one.

It has been fortunate that we were not able to do as much training with my leg issue but next year we will be back to training so we will need to encourage others to come on board and help.

Perhaps other competitors will see well they ran it and still danced, so we can get involved also. Fingers crossed.

Overall we have coming out with a Gold Star!

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 11:14:55 PM »

Fantastic Q - congrats to you, V and your comp team!

Now you can market yourselves as competition organizers Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 11:35:36 PM »

I never had doubts that you could do it.  Congratulations and I'm happy to hear that you will go for it again next year.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: