partnerdanceonline.com
October 25, 2014, 12:48:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Running a competition  (Read 1962 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: October 13, 2010, 07:25:48 AM »

Some of you may know that I have been of the floor for sometime now with an injury. It was quite a shock and very disappointing to hear the doctor and physio say that it could be six months before getting back on the floor.

What does one do with all that energy and time. Despite doing everything that is asked from me on a recovery plan there is a lot of idleness sitting down with a leg. up.

V joined the local branch of Dancesport when a casual vacancy became available. Well actually it was a bit more than that really, a whole committee went walking out because of politics. that committee had committed to a Dance competition to be run and done in July which was only four months of the new committee.

None of them had organised an event before, so they created a sub committee and asked for additional volunteers. I then put up my hand to help in the capacity of Publicity as I do this for my own group.

Well after some discussion with the other group I work with began to assist the committee in how to run, working on Judges list for all the styles that are being done. All the helpers, there is a whole check list of things to consider. We also assisted in helping with a venue. This venue is a fabulous venue for dancing, purpose built for they type of dancing we do but the rumour mill started both here and interstate and getting back to us saying that people thought we had changed venues because of numbers.

The first challenge of many having to put out brush fires.
  It is five weeks away now and on a positive note we are getting entries coming in and also from Professionals. which is going to be brilliant for local dancers to see such quality dancers.

but of course you begin and find out that you end up doing much more than that.  Behind the scenes of organising a comp there are many things that need to be considered. The first of which is the Venue they are the most costly part of running a comp.

The previous committee has booked a Hotel chain of some renown and they were going to offer us a room but we still had to put in a floor which was going to be well over the budget that the previous committee had set, to hire a floor fo 10x20 metres would be $3,500.00.

We after some discussion with the other group I work with began to assist the committee in how to run, working on Judges list for all the styles that are being done. All the helpers, there is a whole check list of things to consider. We also assisted in helping with a venue. This venue is a fabulous venue for dancing, purpose built for they type of dancing we do but the rumour mill started both here and interstate and getting back to us saying that people thought we had changed venues because of numbers.

the first challenge of many having to put out brush fires. You have to think about tickets and pricing of entry, without knowing all the costs that will arise. the pricing should have been done on having all the estimates in.

Many on the committee work outside of dancing and teaches in the evening, so time is very limited. Running Workshops and a social over the same week-end! How much work do we want!

I have to say that I am so proud of V as he has done most of the work including building the website all the artwork, organising the printing, posting out to all the studios, everyone he sees both locally and interstate he mentions it too, face booking but the five people on the committee have done alot.

I send out information to all the TV and radio stations every week, I am looking after the sales of the social workshops and tickets for the event.

I will keep you posted on some of the other issues that get raised when running an event.

Only five weeks to go, I am sure there are many things still to surface and on top of this we have started to train for a comp and if all goes well we will enter this event as well!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 05:41:52 PM by QPO » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 07:45:12 AM »

[terrific - this will be very interesting for those (most) of us who only see comps from the dance-floor side!]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 10:34:05 AM »

Q - I am right there with ya honey on the MANY aspects of organizing and running a competition, as I see it from the inside. I thank my lucky stars I am NOT an organizer. Helping is fine and doing a lot of help is fine, but whew an organizer has a boat load to deal with on every front imaginable!
Good luck and definitely keep us posted!

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 11:59:14 PM »

Well things are building up, tickets are getting organised,  we have several tables booked so that is great.  I have heard rumours saying that some sections are being encouraged not to enter and to attend another local comp. I hope this is not true. Our event is giving everyone the opportunity to see dancers from across the state and interstate. We have some great professionals attending, so people will be able to see how it is meant to be done.

I know entries still have just over a week to go before it closes but it reminds me of invitations RSVP's for a wedding, everyone leaves it to the last minute! Roll Eyes

This week I have had to organise letters to VIP's and to organise the caterer, putting tickets in envelopes to be sent and also for those that will collect them on the day.

Some more people that were meant to be on the committee seems to have fallen off the planet. Leaving three of us to do most of the organising.  I was only meant to do the publicity and I find myself doing much more.

I don’t want to see the event be damaged.

I have been looking for another venue for next year that will bring it up a notch, but it the event wont go there unless this one is well supported.

I am sure that everything will be fine on the day and V & I are hoping that we can dance.  We are holding lectures with three of Australia’s greats cover all styles and dancers who are registered only have to pay $50 and to date I have only 20 people committed. Again it has not closed and there will be more coming, but it does make you anxious, what will these professionals think about our state if only a few make the effort to turn up.

Tomorrow we have the AGM of our Dancesport Branch and I am sure it will be raised.  I wait to hear more comments from the locals

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 03:07:14 AM »

Is there anyway to direct-mail the locals?  Also, is there competition for competitions between studios?  We seem to suffer from that a lot here.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 04:35:33 AM »

Is there anyway to direct-mail the locals?  Also, is there competition for competitions between studios?  We seem to suffer from that a lot here.

I have contacted all the local registered dancers. tomorrow there is an AGM so we will speak to all the schools. Apparently there used to be many interschool competitions but there are not enough dance schools involved in competitions these days. which is part of the problem.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 05:14:01 AM »

Some dance schools don't want their students to be aware of whats out there for fear of loosing them - so the big picture dancesport is sacrificed for the little picture business interests.  Other dance schools compete for attention - and do so by competing with each other rather than by just providing the best dance experience/training.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 09:55:21 PM »

People always wait until the last moment to make a decision in case something better comes up.  ee is right, we had studios up here trying to tell their students which comps to attend but it has come back to bite them all in the butt and the last studio that tried to do this this last season was shocked when the students told them that they would leave the studio.  It has helped to make the studios realize they could not strong arm their students like they thought they could and for the students to realize the studios will back down as it is all a bluff.

I know what you mean by having the locals not know when they have something good going and don't take advantage of it. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 02:37:46 AM »

I'm putting it off, mainly because it involves sitting with mum and making the payment along with the email to enter. Previously I'd enter and then just bug mum for money the day before. Also means I can't enter DP and I at the same time. But hopefully he'll get his email and he won't forget to pay...

I'll probably enter tonight.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 03:28:59 AM »

We've become quite good - just enter every local competition thats on and then select a couple ahead of time.  Its mostly because of DP who is much more organized than I am!

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 11:02:29 PM »

well another week passes and we have been busy organising the tickets that go out. we have asked for monies to be paid in advance of the event and on a local scale that has caused quite an issue.

but the reason is that we can have two queues on the day and people who have a ticket can cruise through quicker. and we know roughly the number of competitors that we will be having on the day.

We have had a very good field of interstate competitors and I think we can consolidate that for next year when we move the event back to July.

Now the tricky bit begins on working out the running order of events , we have to provide that to the music person by early next week and entries close on Monday. we are of course away for five days at the end of the week, so it limits the time we have to keeps things moving along smoothly.

I have had some people say gosh the ticket price is a bit high but I don’t think they realise all the costs that we have to consider and some are not obvious. Medals alone can be a very expensive exercise.

If we could get more people on the floor participating then we could factor in a cheaper price. We have offered price money which has attracted a much larger interstate field, which will give the locals that don’t get to go interstate an opportunity to witness some outstanding dancing.

Regardless what happens the show will go on and I am sure that everyone will have a good time.

Back to the programming for me
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 03:24:24 AM by QPO » Logged

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 11:22:04 PM »

You go girl.  I hope people appreciate the work you do.  At our comps I make sure to thank all the volunteers.  In Quebec at the comp my DP and I both did this and the people were happy that someone thanked them for their efforts.  If it was not for volunteers there would be no competitions and such they are the glue that holds everything together.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 05:43:28 AM »

It would be nice if it was clear who was a volunteer - perhaps it could say on their name tags.  That way you could be specially nice to them too...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 01:33:37 PM »

I really think it is important to recognize their efforts.  They sit in the cold at the door collecting tickets, sit in the entry room selling programs or sit all day handing out numbers.  Most don't compete but are there to make it possible for the rest of us to be able to do so.  They don't get to watch the competition and probably take some flak from people too.  They basically throw away their Saturday.  They start early and get home late and I'm sure by the time they do go home they are stiff and sore.  It is a small thing in return to tell them that they are valued. 

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 04:28:22 AM »

Well we are on the downward run of the 1st SA Open in 5 years. My involvement as I may have said in the beginning was to help promote the event, but people fell off the wayside it has become much more than that.

I know that people are busy but so are we! With V’s assignments and my work which has two components to it these days. I suppose the saving grace is that I have been injured and this comp has kept me in touch with friends in the dance world, but not all of them.
The last few weeks has been filled with looking after ticket sales for the social, lecture series and the main event.

Organising the running sheet and groupings for competitors and now the order of events and dealing with organising the program.  I have not been to bed before midnight for nearly a week and it is staring to tell.

Laying it out so it is pleasant to read and remember to thank all the sponsors and volunteers. The local dancing association has been very helpful with providing equipment.

We are using a new electronic scoring system which means that all results are known as soon competitors leave the floor.

We have our last meeting tomorrow night and see if we can think of anything that we have forgotten. I will be glad when it is over.  I think we have covered most things and scenarios. But am sure there are always  small things that can make things come unstuck.

We have nearly broken even at running the event so that is a big relief. I wont be home all week-end having to set up, there are still some hic-ups like getting equipment to the venue, like chairs and tables and changerooms, but I have left it to someone else to champion that. I have phone calls 10 times a day following up tickets or events issues.

On top of this we going to dance. We have asked other members to help and their response is we have to dance! ;-/

Oh well I have learnt a lot and I suppose if we are involved in the next one things would be smoother.

Having a committee resign on mass with the new committee has no history has made it a challenge. One that we have risen to.

I will let you know how it turns out.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 06:43:18 AM by QPO » Logged

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: