partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 09:19:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  first set
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: first set  (Read 2787 times)
ttd
Open Bronze

« on: September 25, 2010, 10:13:19 PM »

I want to talk about the first set of dances that we do at the competition on a given day. I usually don't do as well on my first set. Maybe it is too much adrenaline, but I overdo things and/or I go too fast (which causes me to become disconnected and then other mistakes start to happen), and then after I get that out of the system, things go better until I get tired.  Getting tired is not as much of an issue anymore, since I usually dance 2 sets of single dances plus one or two multi-dance events, and I have enough endurance, even if I have a minimal break between the sets. Now, for the single dances, I usually look at them as my warm up for the multi-dances, but I definitely noticed that my first set doesn't feel as good all subsequent ones and I don't place as well in it. But this issue - dancing worse in the first set, and then having things get better as I go - I feel like it's going bite me in the butt eventually. I've already noticed that I do better in the scholarship if I didn't have a huge break before it (like it was in the evening session). Or for example, that standard multidance I do at OSB - it's on different day from single dances and so I don't have the luxury of having a throwaway first set, I have to dance my best in the first round or I won't make the next cut. It's not so much the warm-up issue, that's something about going out there and actually dancing in front of the judges and the audience. Thoughts?
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 10:40:29 PM »

I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way too! I certainly do, my first set is always my worst.

Depending on the competition, whether it's fight or die from round 1 or you can cruise through a couple of rounds before the business end comes in. I usually cruise through the first couple of rounds and put the pedal on the medal at semi-final and finals, just that I know the field well enough to be confident I can get away with it. But if you have to fight from the first round, I suggest lots and lots of warm up. Not the type of warm up where you strectch your leg and arms, but get really physical....you know how you feel exhausted after a couple of rounds, but always recover very quickly and the next rounds feel better because your muscles are relaxed? I would get to the stage that I am sweating with my warm up, and give a couple of minutes break and I'm good to go on the floor. I guess this depends on the individual person, how fast they recover etc. The point is, you want to feel like you've already danced a couple of rounds by doing warm up if your first round is bad. Just my 2 cents, but then again as I said, I don't really bother with first rounds anymore cause I cruise through them
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 11:28:20 PM »

the first set I agree is always the worst for the day, and as you say rightly I do believe that it is the adrenalin that runs throgh your body. What I do now is eat a chocolate bar before I go on the floor, it seems to settle that.

but you are right once the first one is out of the way things settle down and I get on with it. I would prefer to get my New vouge out the way first. seems to work better for us.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 12:12:57 AM »

Same here.  We are rapidly approaching the time when there will only be one set (in championship; we also do pre-champ now) and I don't know what we will have to do to get over the first-set blues or how some dancers seem to hit it from the first moment - pro finals for example.

OTOH at these levels there are usually heats so you can, I suppose, use the first heat as your first set - and hope that you get through!

Its obviously related to performance anxiety.  I have heard the suggestion that you should practise before the first set until you are as tired as if you really had done one.  Apparently that can help.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »

the first set I agree is always the worst for the day, and as you say rightly I do believe that it is the adrenalin that runs throgh your body. What I do now is eat a chocolate bar before I go on the floor, it seems to settle that.

but you are right once the first one is out of the way things settle down and I get on with it. I would prefer to get my New vouge out the way first. seems to work better for us.

How does a chocolate help with adrenaline?
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 10:30:29 PM »

Redwine does!

Don't drink beer, it gives you the burps, not a good look on the floor.  Shocked
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 05:15:35 AM »

How does a chocolate help with adrenaline?

not sure but it does work. I know that you go into shock they suggest a sugery drink...tried to look things up on the net but have not found the way to resolve an adrenaline rush

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 05:44:46 AM »

Redwine does!

Don't drink beer, it gives you the burps, not a good look on the floor.  Shocked

IMO it makes you THINK you are dancing better... For me it dulls my reflexes which are so essential for responding

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 05:55:53 AM »

yes dont want to drink before dancing...1.. it is a bad habit to start and 2. as EE said it dulls the senses and not a good thing for your dancing.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 06:13:59 AM »

well, it works OK for social dancing sometimes, if everyone is doing it

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 09:43:55 PM »

well, it works OK for social dancing sometimes, if everyone is doing it

true but half the social dancers our way are OLD and dont do it..so us 50 something youngster are just too out of control! Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 11:50:55 PM »

And you'd be setting a horrible example to all the under 20s at the dance.
 Tongue

Grin
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 12:00:59 AM »

Tongue

Grin

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 12:02:50 AM »

since I am going to watch dancing this week-end I dont have to worry about the first set.... Tongue

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 06:39:27 AM »

Tongue

Grin
Guffaw...

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: