partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 04:06:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Swing
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Swing  (Read 2966 times)
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« on: September 25, 2010, 12:23:51 PM »

Ok, I think this word might deserve a topic to itself. I hear a lot of pros say that the ultimate for a lot of steps is to create power through swing.

Now I had two ideas about swing:

1) Swing the up side upwards

2) Swing the down side downwards

I know they happen at the same time, but which one do you think is more important or equall important? What do you think about when you try to generate swing eg in natural turn in waltz or feather step in foxtrot.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 02:41:24 AM »

Unless I am misunderstanding, it has little to do with sides. The sides are a residual action of the swing generated in the hips through step/fall/follow through/recover, etc depending on the dance or precede.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 09:18:24 AM »

Unless I am misunderstanding, it has little to do with sides. The sides are a residual action of the swing generated in the hips through step/fall/follow through/recover, etc depending on the dance or precede.

this makes sense that it comes from the hips

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 10:56:47 AM »

So if it's hip, does it happen through swinging the hip up or pulling the opposit down?
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 05:45:03 PM »

So if it's hip, does it happen through swinging the hip up or pulling the opposit down?

If speaking in terms of fox/waltz, it happens from the momentum of the push/fall/recover/follow through of the preceding movement. If you think of it as an action initiated, you can't get it. Swing, in all dance, is always an action created.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 06:38:34 PM »

[Sitting down with some popcorn watching intently how this pans out] 
I've found the concept of swing really fascinating. 
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 11:11:54 AM »

Isn't it just! I heard one of my teachers said that swing is the magic word all dancers try to achieve.
drj
Bronze

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 11:44:51 AM »

+1

My instructor remarked on how well I was swinging the other day. I had *no* idea what he was talking about, so would be glad to see what other folks think swing is. It's a mystery to me, and like so many mysteries, I want to poke at it with a stick until I get a response.

ancora imparo
samina
Silver

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 12:08:42 PM »

+1

My instructor remarked on how well I was swinging the other day. I had *no* idea what he was talking about, so would be glad to see what other folks think swing is. It's a mystery to me, and like so many mysteries, I want to poke at it with a stick until I get a response.

you swinger, you... Cool Tongue
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 01:32:04 PM »

+1

Ha ha!  Is there a way to really "create" swing?  I have found that it can only be observed, or... you really have to imagine you're on the swing and forget everything else.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 02:37:02 PM »

+1

Ha ha!  Is there a way to really "create" swing?  I have found that it can only be observed, or... you really have to imagine you're on the swing and forget everything else.

Like so many things in performance art: once you try to create it, you are no longer doing it.
So if you are doing it, don't fret or worry, just enjoy.  I think its best to not forget that ballroom is first and formost something you enjoy to do with your body with a partner.  I'm sure that the top pros are not thinking 'am I swinging enough/properly/late enough/on the right step... etc they are just dancing

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 02:58:58 PM »

True that!
drj
Bronze

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 07:43:07 PM »

+1

you swinger, you... Cool Tongue
Tongue Tongue yourself! lol

ancora imparo
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 10:30:40 PM »

has anyone ever gone to the playground - put your tush in the swing and just played?  Forward, backward, forward, backword, forward, backward.....
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 10:53:57 PM »

We've been working more on sway and while I know I should not be but it has made me confused about swing again.  sway is side to side while swing is really forward-back (with some rotational) but if you do a strong sway it seems to interfere with your capacity to swing....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: