partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 07:55:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | |-+  Books that make you smart, intelligent, and something more
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Books that make you smart, intelligent, and something more  (Read 2692 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 06:18:07 AM »

ED you'll love this..Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom by Rick Hanson and Richard Mendius, okay the science is failry basic, but did you know that women have/get more oxytocin than men. Its not fair.

well, we DO breast feed so I guess we deserve a little more. Smiley  Its payback if you like...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 07:09:31 AM »

ED you'll love this..Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom by Rick Hanson and Richard Mendius, okay the science is failry basic, but did you know that women have/get more oxytocin than men. Its not fair.

well, we DO breast feed so I guess we deserve a little more. Smiley  Its payback if you like...

Grin

i demand the right to breastfeed!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 07:16:07 AM by Bordertangoman » Logged

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 02:09:44 PM »

well, we DO breast feed so I guess we deserve a little more. Smiley  Its payback if you like...

Grin

i demand the right to breastfeed!

Granted. 
OK, so now what are you going to do?

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »

Books that make you smart, intelligent, and something more.

Sign me up, where do I get them and how soon does it work?

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 08:09:28 PM »

....Just as soon as you stop believing...

Wink

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 08:46:30 PM »

Hey, Santa and the Tooth Fairy heard that.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 09:16:31 PM »

Not a problem - none of them occupy such a book Undecided

bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 11:45:41 AM »

I've also stopped reading which for me is a 'shock-horror' I used to eat up books, that's partly why I chose my username (perhaps I should post that in the username thread  Roll Eyes actually not sure where I got the worm part from...) So anyone know any quick fixes for how to get back into reading while still living life? I find I'm two extremes, I either read and then nothing happens in my life, I get sucked into the dreamy world of books and don't do anything else until I finish my book or I live my life but then don't read.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 12:05:24 PM »

Have you tried audiobooks?  That's how I finally "read" Lord of the Rings -- while in the car, during my commute. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 01:48:59 PM »

Have you tried audiobooks?  That's how I finally "read" Lord of the Rings -- while in the car, during my commute. Smiley
bingo - for me.  My most productive reading period was back in the 80s when I had to commute from north baltimore to bethesda - 1.5 hrs each way.  I would go to the library which had a limited collection that was almost always out so I had to take whatever was on the shelf.  Back then the only audio books were on tape cassetts and were made for blind people to be able to read - classics.  Yup, every book was an established classic.  This meant I read Thomas Hardy, Dickens, Auden, Eliott etc  - even the whole of Don Quixote (28 tapes in all!).  I'd like to think I was a literary academic but I only did it because I was forced to. 

I actually miss that commute, it was so uplifting to discover that classics were classics not because they were arty but because they were really, really good... I'm a lousy reader because I can't sit still

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 03:04:35 PM »

Exactly.  It took me a long time to discover it, but the classics are the classics for a reason.  As a rule, they are darn good books.

ee actually gives me a brilliant idea.   My new job is a slightly longer commute, so maybe it's time for me to start my audio book habit again.  I read a lot of really good books, that way. I'll check the library website.  IIRC, they have a fairly large collection. Smiley   

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: