partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 06:17:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | |-+  Books that make you smart, intelligent, and something more
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Books that make you smart, intelligent, and something more  (Read 3049 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 06:18:07 AM »

ED you'll love this..Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom by Rick Hanson and Richard Mendius, okay the science is failry basic, but did you know that women have/get more oxytocin than men. Its not fair.

well, we DO breast feed so I guess we deserve a little more. Smiley  Its payback if you like...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 07:09:31 AM »

ED you'll love this..Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom by Rick Hanson and Richard Mendius, okay the science is failry basic, but did you know that women have/get more oxytocin than men. Its not fair.

well, we DO breast feed so I guess we deserve a little more. Smiley  Its payback if you like...

Grin

i demand the right to breastfeed!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 07:16:07 AM by Bordertangoman » Logged

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 02:09:44 PM »

well, we DO breast feed so I guess we deserve a little more. Smiley  Its payback if you like...

Grin

i demand the right to breastfeed!

Granted. 
OK, so now what are you going to do?

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »

Books that make you smart, intelligent, and something more.

Sign me up, where do I get them and how soon does it work?

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 08:09:28 PM »

....Just as soon as you stop believing...

Wink

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 08:46:30 PM »

Hey, Santa and the Tooth Fairy heard that.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 09:16:31 PM »

Not a problem - none of them occupy such a book Undecided

bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 11:45:41 AM »

I've also stopped reading which for me is a 'shock-horror' I used to eat up books, that's partly why I chose my username (perhaps I should post that in the username thread  Roll Eyes actually not sure where I got the worm part from...) So anyone know any quick fixes for how to get back into reading while still living life? I find I'm two extremes, I either read and then nothing happens in my life, I get sucked into the dreamy world of books and don't do anything else until I finish my book or I live my life but then don't read.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 12:05:24 PM »

Have you tried audiobooks?  That's how I finally "read" Lord of the Rings -- while in the car, during my commute. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2013, 01:48:59 PM »

Have you tried audiobooks?  That's how I finally "read" Lord of the Rings -- while in the car, during my commute. Smiley
bingo - for me.  My most productive reading period was back in the 80s when I had to commute from north baltimore to bethesda - 1.5 hrs each way.  I would go to the library which had a limited collection that was almost always out so I had to take whatever was on the shelf.  Back then the only audio books were on tape cassetts and were made for blind people to be able to read - classics.  Yup, every book was an established classic.  This meant I read Thomas Hardy, Dickens, Auden, Eliott etc  - even the whole of Don Quixote (28 tapes in all!).  I'd like to think I was a literary academic but I only did it because I was forced to. 

I actually miss that commute, it was so uplifting to discover that classics were classics not because they were arty but because they were really, really good... I'm a lousy reader because I can't sit still

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 03:04:35 PM »

Exactly.  It took me a long time to discover it, but the classics are the classics for a reason.  As a rule, they are darn good books.

ee actually gives me a brilliant idea.   My new job is a slightly longer commute, so maybe it's time for me to start my audio book habit again.  I read a lot of really good books, that way. I'll check the library website.  IIRC, they have a fairly large collection. Smiley   

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: