partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 03:35:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Professional (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Dividing 'Pro's into catagories
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dividing 'Pro's into catagories  (Read 1598 times)
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« on: September 21, 2010, 08:03:14 PM »

[ Edit:  this topic comes from an issue that came up on the 'compete to dance or dance to compete' topic.  Basically, all pros are currently just that but should they be divided into levels depending on experience and abilities....? ]

I would then be "pro" not am and thus I would NOT compete pro/am. LOL

eeeekkkkkk I totally am disgusted at calling my self a pro if I go to a AM or FA. Knowing the pros I know and to even hint a wee bit that I was one if I took the job and started teaching would make a total mockery of the pros in dance. Thankfully have NOT yet looked any further than I have (yet)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:03:02 AM by elisedance » Logged

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 09:39:39 PM »

weird isn't it.  But its not you really, they need a new catagory to distinguish competing/teaching pros from teaching pros - its a bit like a middle school teacher and a researcher/university lecturer.  Its not that both are not valuable and necessary - but I don't think anyone would pretend that they are the same in education so why in do so in dance?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 10:56:19 PM »

EXACTLY!!!!!!

pre-schhol, elementary school, high school, beginning college, to professor/doctorate college, driving school, tutors, music school, etc .... all "teachers", yet VERY VERY VERY different levels.

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 04:57:33 AM »

lets start a movement....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 05:59:04 AM »

I'm definitely in favour of this, and I've wondered about it often before.
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 12:29:45 PM »

Yes, I support this too.

So we don't need to pay $120 per hour as a really beginner.

As a beginner dancer, I did not understand a lot of what my teachers talked about anyway. Tongue

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 06:15:08 AM »

Yes, I support this too.

As a beginner dancer, I did not understand a lot of what my teachers talked about anyway. Tongue

Ah, the real reason why a coup wouldn't work (though, I would join you in trying).  Smiley

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 01:40:56 PM »

Yes, I support this too.

Ah, the real reason why a coup wouldn't work (though, I would join you in trying).  Smiley

Haha!!

Seriously, it is not just about the money.
I still remember what teachers taught me when I was a really beginner dancer, but could not understand at the moment. Now, someone says something about certain things, then I go like 'Aha!'.
So what is the benefit of taking a lessons from a very highly regarded teacher if a student don't know anything about dancing. Also, a teacher might be frustrated. It is like a physics professor teaching physics to a first grade. But, still dancing has some advantage over those subject that you might just need to explain. You can use your body to show, but some of subjects are not.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: