partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 06:59:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Help me, I'm falling....
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Help me, I'm falling....  (Read 1315 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: September 21, 2010, 01:28:21 AM »

Have you had any 'good' spills? 

I did a doozie at practise sunday, and dear DP (thats a double dear Wink ) tried nobly to hold me up.  My foot caught his in I think a turning lock and ...crash.  I think I fall well though - maybe its something that should be taught.  In the process DP went right over me - it must have been pretty dramatic because just about everyone on the floor came to see if I survived.  Fortunately, the worst injury was to my stocking

Wait a mo, I seem to remember it being tauight by one of our venerable teachers here Smiley  But not to actually fall, for real ...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 02:36:10 AM »

As long as you pointed your toes and did an arm flourish on the way down all is good.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 02:46:56 AM »

I did better than that, I looked at the cieling, kept smiling and kept my right arm relaxed

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:24:18 AM »

have tripped my self up a few time!...had a pair of shoes that my heel caught the inside of other shoe and pulled my foot of the ground! or I use the side of my foot to ginto a slide and keep going Roll Eyes
hopefully like you gracefully. Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 07:22:38 PM »

today. in VW. don't want to talk about it. rawr

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 08:02:37 PM »

Now you know what a natural turn should feel like!  Just fall!!!
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 12:10:02 AM »

I have had a few spectacular spats over the years.  Lots of bruises, twisted ankles and sore ribs. Smiley  Let's just say I am ultra carefull these days.  Grin mm
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 04:31:07 AM »

Fortunately, we hear of few serious injuries.  Ineresting that considering the velocity and hardness of the floor...

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 04:32:30 AM »

Fortunately, we hear of few serious injuries.  Ineresting that considering the velocity and hardness of the floor...

here here. but I do know a women that broke her arm Shocked

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 04:50:41 AM »

Maaaaany years ago when I was doing the studio thing the studio owner and his new partner (she was his girlfriend and was trying to learn dancing to a professional competetive level later in life) were dancing standard at a social and, as I recall, showing off a bit.  Well, she went down and fortunately did not hurt herself.  However her long skirt got inverted and, unfortunately, she had nothing underneath.

We all have a few defining moments - and sadly that became one of hers, it was the grist of the gossip mill for years (and I suppose still is, excepting of course, that I'm not mentioning any names...)

I suppose there is a moral, or at least a warning in the story

mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 06:28:37 PM »

Maaaaany years ago when I was doing the studio thing the studio owner and his new partner (she was his girlfriend and was trying to learn dancing to a professional competetive level later in life) were dancing standard at a social and, as I recall, showing off a bit.  Well, she went down and fortunately did not hurt herself.  However her long skirt got inverted and, unfortunately, she had nothing underneath.

We all have a few defining moments - and sadly that became one of hers, it was the grist of the gossip mill for years (and I suppose still is, excepting of course, that I'm not mentioning any names...)

I suppose there is a moral, or at least a warning in the story

oh dear  Shocked I ALWAYS wear bike pants under any dress I wear to dancing.   Grin mm
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 09:56:23 PM »

- maybe its something that should be taught.

Wait a mo, I seem to remember it being tauight by one of our venerable teachers here Smiley  But not to actually fall, for real ...

Yes, it is taught in two of the Schools of Thought, both for the benefit of movement but also so that in case a real fall does happen. This way you will know how to fall and not injure yourself or your partner. I know some top latin couples that have also learned this.

DSV
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:58:09 PM by Dora-Satya Veda » Logged

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 10:06:01 PM »

- maybe its something that should be taught.

Wait a mo, I seem to remember it being tauight by one of our venerable teachers here Smiley  But not to actually fall, for real ...

Yes, it is taught in two of the Schools of Thought, both for the benefit of movement but also so that in case a real fall does happen. This way you will know how to fall and not injure yourself or your partner. I know some top latin couples that have also learned this.

DSV

Wow, then I can truly say I've had world class training Grin

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 10:28:05 PM »

I landed on my butt a few weeks ago doing shadow positions in american VW, because my heel got caught in the jazz pants.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 10:59:04 PM »

When I was a teenager, there was a group of us teenage boys who used to practice pratfalls.  We did crazy stuff like roll down flights of concrete stairs.   Shocked  Of course I was about 60 lbs. lighter then...

I've only ever fallen once on a dance floor, and it happened during a lesson.  We were working on tango outside fans, and at one point my instructor grabbed my hips in a way I wasn't expecting -- and it was like my whole lower body locked up.  I staggered backwards, five or six steps cartoon-style, before I finally hit the floor.  The only injury was to my pride.   Roll Eyes

I did once fall about 12 feet through a drop ceiling.  I was doing some wiring work in the attic of a planetarium, following some old wiring around the outside surface of the dome.  I had not been in that section of the attic before, and I wasn't aware that the attic floor didn't go all the way around.  I wasn't looking down, and I stepped off the end of the floor... I started to fall head first and somehow -- I have no idea how I did it -- I flipped myself around so that I was falling backwards instead of forwards, before I went through the drop ceiling which was about a foot below the attic floor and 11 feet from the planetarium floor.  I landed on my rear end on the concrete floor, just missing the console desk.  I got a cut on my ear from the drop ceiling grid, but was otherwise unhurt, which was a good thing because the observatory had no phone and there was no one around for at least half a mile.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: