partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 07:31:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Moving continents
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Moving continents  (Read 1805 times)
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 12:39:40 PM »

Hmmm.....

I've spoken with my teacher(He is from Germany and stayed in England for his training or etc.) how AM dancers are doing in Europe, not professionals.
He just does not want to go back. It is too expensive and no jobs enough to support his dancing career even as a professional dancer.

If you want to be an amateur dancer, you need to have your day job to support your dancing unless if you are extremely good and can represent your country or your family support your dancing.

I will go with Sam. Come to NY/NJ. If you dance standard, we have world #1 couple, #3(I think they are in CA), and #6. If you dance latin, we have #2 couple in NY.

Haha..... I sound like a sales person.  Grin
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 02:43:25 PM »

Slavik Kryklyvyy (sp?!) makes the finals too doesn't he?  Is he representing Russia now?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 10:04:41 PM »

Yes, but you could come to canada - its also British Commonwealth (re familiar) and we have the futurre World and Latin champions Wink

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 05:22:16 AM »

well you still need to go back to the pros and cons.  be honest as to why you would do so. there are plenty of other places in the world you could learn and improve, I dont think england is necessary the mecca anymore

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 11:06:03 AM »

Slavik Kryklyvyy (sp?!) makes the finals too doesn't he?  Is he representing Russia now?

Yes, he does. And, he does not live in the US anymore I think.
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 05:21:53 PM »

Having lived in Sydney & London (amongst other places), London is no more expensive than any other large city, inc NY, Sydney, SF etc etc. so don't let that put you off.  Dance lessons: you get what you pay for and I suspect that is true of most places.  Excellent teachers at a reasonable price can be found, you just need to know where.  I loved living in London but then I loved Australia too.  Other areas of the UK are significantly cheaper.  The worst thing over here is the weather (and the occasional tube strike) Wink.

I think moving depends on your personality.  I love travel & living in new places so didn't really think twice about moving to Australia despite being totally unprepared, not knowing anyone there or really anything about the culture.  I would say go for it, you can always go back if it doesn't work out  Grin

Dance like you're going to fall over
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 02:18:01 AM »

Just got an e-mail from my school about a GAP year opportunity in the UK working in a school's PE department for 2011, they supply you with accommodation and meals as well as a wage! Hmm thinking i may apply for this! would be a perfect opportunity to go over there with a sound job and income and 'test the waters' so to speak Smiley

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 02:58:04 AM »

Just got an e-mail from my school about a GAP year opportunity in the UK working in a school's PE department for 2011, they supply you with accommodation and meals as well as a wage! Hmm thinking i may apply for this! would be a perfect opportunity to go over there with a sound job and income and 'test the waters' so to speak Smiley

Zac
Sounds like an idea - but where is it relative to dance opportunitiies?  England may look small on a map relative to Australia - but its very dense and travel takes time...

ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 03:07:27 AM »

Well with the position being with a school means that i would have time after 'work'  to dance, not quite sure exactly where the school is at the moment but it means i can suss out how much exactly it costs to dance over there as well as how hard it is to find a partner. It would also mean i could see if i could stand being in another country living by myself..

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 03:19:49 AM »

Just be careful to get the precise terms.... Remember the first rule of employment: everything is negotiable before you take a job but nothing is after you are there.

maccer
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 06:19:27 AM »

Well with the position being with a school means that i would have time after 'work'  to dance, not quite sure exactly where the school is at the moment but it means i can suss out how much exactly it costs to dance over there as well as how hard it is to find a partner. It would also mean i could see if i could stand being in another country living by myself..

Zac

If you do want any advice on moving to the UK, my son and his partner are living their dream there at the moment, and I'm sure he'd be able to fill you in on any questions you have. He's loving it but as E says, it's not easy to get around over there. We've just returned from there and I know first hand that the traffic is CRAZY!!! It helps if you live close to a studio like Cheam. Also, to get lessons with the coaches they wanted, they had to send their resumes first. PM me if you want his email address.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: