partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 01:45:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Moving continents
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Moving continents  (Read 1877 times)
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« on: September 20, 2010, 06:02:37 AM »

I have been thinking of moving to England as i have family over there and has some of the best dancing in the world, at the moment just a thought but would like your opinions on the logistics of such a move. How hard do you think it would be to pack up and move your dancing to another continent? as i see it there would be 3 major problems with such a decision: 1. finding a partner 2. finding a studio/teacher 3. deciding on which country . how much of this could be done before you left? is it possible to find yourself a partner you would be happy with over the internet? or is there anything else i'm missing?

Zac
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 06:07:33 AM by ZPomeroy » Logged

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 08:32:53 AM »

Funny how you miss probably the biggest issue of all - staying alive!  I mean you have to have a place to live and an income - these things could take so much of your time - in particular initially - that dancing will be a minor part of your week.

I grew up in England so I know a little thereof but it was before my dancing days so I know as much about that probably (or maybe less) than you do.  The first thing is to establish whether they are conveniently located for you to reach a meaningful dance studio.  If yes then you could perhaps arrange a long-term stay (which would greatly reduce your costs) but if not you are going to have to also establish a source of income.  If the relatives are possible do get a realistic idea of how long they are prepared to have you stay - having visitors can get tiresome if you do not think of it as in essence adopting.  These logistics will make or break the idea so plan it well.

Otherwise, I think its a great idea to travel at your age - or maybe during college.  Do you plan to go to college by the way? That could be a terrific way to go to England since it opens up sources of income and logistics and also provides you will, well, a degree.  Remember in most countries you can not teach and be an amateur - England always was the most particular about that rule - so you need a source of income that is separate from your dancing. 

OTOH if you are a millionaire....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 09:03:49 AM »

As EE pointed out the cost of living in the UK is very expensive and the cost of lessons are very high. It depends on your life goals? You need to check the visa working issues as I believe it depends on the type of visa you have, you can only stay for a certain amount of time and have to show that you have the money to support yourself.

But if you do the pros and cons list and have worked it through, no-one should stop you if you are adult making your own decisions.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
samina
Silver

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 09:23:57 AM »

Personally, I would never want to move England at this time, as much as it might be lovely to visit. Too expensive, and massively controlled -- sounds almost like it's become like Singapore, if not more so.

Come to the New Jersey/New York area in the US! Highest concentration of elite ballroom dancers on the planet, or so I've heard. Smiley New Jersey may be more affordable, and just lovely, once you get out of the urban areas.

That is a big deal, making such a move. But do-able. You are young -- what a great adventure to undertake. Lots of bureaucratic red tape to navigate, I'm sure. But... do-able. Many have done so.
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 07:19:38 PM »

I have been thinking of moving to England as i have family over there and has some of the best dancing in the world, at the moment just a thought but would like your opinions on the logistics of such a move. How hard do you think it would be to pack up and move your dancing to another continent? as i see it there would be 3 major problems with such a decision: 1. finding a partner 2. finding a studio/teacher 3. deciding on which country . how much of this could be done before you left? is it possible to find yourself a partner you would be happy with over the internet? or is there anything else i'm missing?

Zac

You need to talk to Macca as her son moved over there about 6 months ago.  They are over at present visiting and saw him dance a couple of weeks ago.  He has improved tremendously from reports.  They saved for quite a while before they went and then had to buy a unit full of furniture, find jobs.  They had their lessons sorted before they went.  They had to basically send their resume to the pro's and then they decided if they would teach them or not.  You can't just rock up to a teacher like here.  I wish you well but you really need to think about it before you decide.  mm
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 07:46:24 PM »

Personally, I would never want to move England at this time, as much as it might be lovely to visit. Too expensive, and massively controlled -- sounds almost like it's become like Singapore, if not more so.

Come to the New Jersey/New York area in the US! Highest concentration of elite ballroom dancers on the planet, or so I've heard. Smiley New Jersey may be more affordable, and just lovely, once you get out of the urban areas.

That is a big deal, making such a move. But do-able. You are young -- what a great adventure to undertake. Lots of bureaucratic red tape to navigate, I'm sure. But... do-able. Many have done so.
...plus the Aussie accent will guarantee a very busy social life with the girls.  Smiley
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 08:37:25 PM »

I think there are many things to consider before even thinking of making such a move. I spend a year preparing and considering all the options. I didn’t really know what I was doing when I moved to England and I am not sure I would do it with today’s dance scene in mind. Back when I moved to England it was the only place to go if you wanted to develop great dancing, this is not the case today. When I moved to England most of the top teachers would spend most of their time there and with the connections that I had it was fairly easy to get with the very best teachers. One thing to consider today is that many teachers travel all over the world teaching and actually spends little time in England. Many of the competing professionals spend months and months in the Far-East. Finding work is going to be one of the big challenges for sure especially if you don’t have a European passport. You will not even be able to open a bank account without a working permit or resident permit. It was fairly difficult to move from one European country to another and yet it was easier then moving to another continent. It was a lot more difficult to move from Europe to the US.

I would defiantly think twice before considering making such a move. As they say “where there is a will there is a way”, so I am sure you will find a way if you really want to move.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 12:55:19 AM »

...plus the Aussie accent will guarantee a very busy social life with the girls.  Smiley

not really - Aussies are a dime a dozen in the UK Wink mm
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 08:41:02 AM »

i know there would be plenty to think about, and plan, and certainty wouldn't make a decision like this lightly. At the moment it is just a thought and was really just interested in how much preparation and money would be needed for something like this (thought i would just clarify this Smiley i know sometimes my writing comes of a little strange and don't get the message out the way i wish). Yes, i have heard that living in England is VERY expensive these days, i've heard you would need to go over there with about 10k just for a holiday! Very interesting to see the things the young don't think about!

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 09:02:57 AM »

not really - Aussies are a dime a dozen in the UK Wink mm

Heck, if I moved to the UK I'd have to develop some kind of tolerance for English accents.

Because damn. I'd be a lost cause the moment a guy even spoke to me

^^
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 08:06:23 PM »

USA USA USA we NEED men dancers. WOMEN would LOVES YOU!!!!!! =) =P

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 09:39:59 PM »

Go for it EM!!

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 09:40:24 PM »

Oh, and then send him to Canada - I mean we speak English... Tongue

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 11:01:49 PM »

Oh you proper english speaking canadian you.  Tongue

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 04:55:17 AM »

Oh you proper english speaking canadian you.  Tongue
Actually, I am a proper speaking Englishwoman. Smiley
By way of the US and Canada....

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: