partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 07:27:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Ballroom vs Dancesport
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Ballroom vs Dancesport  (Read 2955 times)
chachacat
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 02:57:29 PM »

In the 90's, the term "Dancesport" originated to help ballroom get into the Olympics.

Personally, I don't care for the term, nor use it.
However, I do understand the athleticism of dance; anyone who has seriously studied ballet knows how hard it is.
I'm just old and 'sports' to me is a bad word.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 08:49:22 PM »

I sooooooooooooooooooo remember the days of ballet. serious ballet on pointe ......................my poor poor toes and calfs and hamstrings. hours at the barr. Sigh how I miss it. A LOT.

I personally like the term Ballroom.

I think dancesport can be off putting to the general public. meh ...

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 11:29:12 PM »

Hmmm.... weeeellll... at my home and my second-home studios, there are quite a few competitive amateur, i.e. Dancesport, dancers who regularly attend socials, and this significantly influences the culture of those ballroom socials... for the better, IMO.
But having higher-level dancers in the community, whether they compete or not, brings the level up, and that's always an improvement.

We have a university here and they have a ballroom club for students and open to general population as well. I don't come to their group classes, because I feel that I've kinda outgrown their level <they haven't been able to bring it up very high, as each year the club gets a new crop of beginner freshmen and loses its most advanced students as they graduate and move>, but I come to their semi-formals and also they come to our open parties.But apparently some of the college kids who started a few years ago decided to go for their advanced degrees here as well, so they didn't relocate, and so some of them have been with the club for over 5 years <maybe it is a reflection of weak job market - they can't find an entry-level position with bachelor's degree, so they go for the master's>. And this seems to improve the level of the entire club, because it seems like the new kids advance faster when they have experienced club members around helping them.
samina
Silver

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 03:25:35 PM »

hmm, interesting... a few different associations for the use of these terms.

seems that emmie view is it more as competition vs. social dancing (did i get that right?)

TD views ballroom as the codified heart, which DS is what has been brought in from other dance influences -- sounds like the view of a purist. Smiley  does remind me of the "which is the one true tango" and "which is the real salsa" intellectual debates i've seen a plethora of elsewhere, hah, which are not my cuppa. but with TD's lengthy background and broader perspective, i can appreciate why this may be an issue of importance to clarify.

i don't mind what is "non-pure" that has enhanced ballroom, because that's just life, that's how things are... they grow, evolve, change, take in influences from all those that come into an enviro and leave their mark. i don't mind rapid competition, i don't mind chillin' at a social... i just love every aspect of it, and don't have an issue with the term "dancesport" because that nicely describes a competitive focus, which *is* different from social dancing.

meh... ballroom, dancesport, yep, i value it from every angle. even the crazy pro-amers who are competing pre-bronze at 7:30 on sunday mornings in full, rhinestoned regalia. Wink every aspect of BR & DS culture is just such a wondrous thing.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 08:50:23 PM »

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! Let's just say I love EVERY form of partner dancing.  Cheesy  (er ..... dancing!  Wink)

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
samina
Silver

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 11:46:49 PM »

Hmmm.... weeeellll... at my home and my second-home studios, there are quite a few competitive amateur, i.e. Dancesport, dancers who regularly attend socials, and this significantly influences the culture of those ballroom socials... for the better, IMO.
But having higher-level dancers in the community, whether they compete or not, brings the level up, and that's always an improvement.

exactly! Smiley Cheesy

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 05:35:30 AM »

TD views ballroom as the codified heart, which DS is what has been brought in from other dance influences -- sounds like the view of a purist. Smiley  does remind me of the "which is the one true tango" and "which is the real salsa" intellectual debates i've seen a plethora of elsewhere, hah, which are not my cuppa. but with TD's lengthy background and broader perspective, i can appreciate why this may be an issue of importance to clarify.

Yeah, I have beem called a purist before, but it is not accurate at all. Everyone who knows me knows that I have also always been called a rebel b/c I have always bucked the purists, followed the heart of the movement, and competed right on the edge of 'great and being DQ'd'. I am all for change as long as it doesn't completely negate the thing that it is enhancing/expanding (unless that is the intention). For some, for DS to replace BR was indeed the intention, but for many, it was only to broaden the scope, and, as someone pointed out, make it more appealing to the Olympic committee as a sport .

My objection is that, in many ways, it has completely erased that which it was only intended to enhance. When one can not tell the difference between the dances if the music is turned off, or when there is 90% fluff and facial expression and arm waving but only 10% dance, or when the original character of the dance is changed completely (for ex: can someone tell the difference between cabaret and theatre arts anymore).  This is unacceptable, and can not be brushed over as growth/change/evolving. This could have been avoided had the powers that be only maintained a degree of integrity in BR while still allowing the interjection of the other elements. Yet, in the effort to make BR more appealing as a sport, the powers that be lost that integrity. Sadly, it will never return.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 12:05:53 PM »

Let's not call it BS!

be ashamed... be very ashamed...

lolz

Hahahaha love this!  Grin
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 07:06:11 PM »

In the 90's, the term "Dancesport" originated to help ballroom get into the Olympics.

Personally, I don't care for the term, nor use it.
However, I do understand the athleticism of dance; anyone who has seriously studied ballet knows how hard it is.
I'm just old and 'sports' to me is a bad word.

That is correct! Dancesport was a term created by the then IDSF to promote Ballroom dancing into the Olympics.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 02:55:13 AM »

I still use the term Ballroom.  If you used the word Dancesport the average punter in the street would not know what you were talking about.  I too believe that ballroom dancing is very athletic and it is a sport but an artistic one.

I have heard that there may be an artistic games and Ballroom would be put into that category. fingers crossed.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 09:00:18 PM »

Yeah, I have beem called a purist before, but it is not accurate at all. Everyone who knows me knows that I have also always been called a rebel b/c I have always bucked the purists, followed the heart of the movement, and competed right on the edge of 'great and being DQ'd'. I am all for change as long as it doesn't completely negate the thing that it is enhancing/expanding (unless that is the intention). For some, for DS to replace BR was indeed the intention, but for many, it was only to broaden the scope, and, as someone pointed out, make it more appealing to the Olympic committee as a sport .

My objection is that, in many ways, it has completely erased that which it was only intended to enhance. When one can not tell the difference between the dances if the music is turned off, or when there is 90% fluff and facial expression and arm waving but only 10% dance, or when the original character of the dance is changed completely (for ex: can someone tell the difference between cabaret and theatre arts anymore).  This is unacceptable, and can not be brushed over as growth/change/evolving. This could have been avoided had the powers that be only maintained a degree of integrity in BR while still allowing the interjection of the other elements. Yet, in the effort to make BR more appealing as a sport, the powers that be lost that integrity. Sadly, it will never return.

I don't know who you are, TD, but you are not the only ballroom adjudicator I know of who feels this way about ballroom dance or at least some of them.

I don't think you're in PDO anymore but, just in case you are, i know what you mean about watching dances without music.  I've done that recently. To me, a lot of what's on the floor is about big lines and showmanship.  That's more or less dse rigeur these days.   But is it ballroom dance?  i think that DS is deliberately pushing the envelop.  Not sure  about the outcome.

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: