partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 11:57:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Pro/Am & Am/Am rules
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Pro/Am & Am/Am rules  (Read 4894 times)
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2009, 11:35:25 PM »

There are some pro-ams dancing in the open level that have alot f knowledge. It is  disgrace that they are penalized for teaching. IF the pro-am is honest with some kind of disclaimer that they are NOT a professional, what difference doe it make?

I am sure the price for the lesson would be significantly less and would encourage more people to dance.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2009, 05:07:16 AM »

I am sure the price for the lesson would be significantly less and would encourage more people to dance.

Thats the kye point - protectionism (stopping people from doing things so they don't compete with you) generally backfires for one reason or aonther.  In this case having more people teaching at a lower level might just recruit a whole new bunch of dancers and actually enhance the income of the pros...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2009, 06:42:59 PM »

In this case having more people teaching at a lower level might just recruit a whole new bunch of dancers and actually enhance the income of the pros...

I have been saying this for a couple of years now.  If there was a "good" Am that could start people out then more people would get a chance to learn to dance.  I know that there is a huge shortage of instructors outside of Toronto but nobody is willing to leave.  This leaves a void that is being partly filled by "very" sub-standard people or nobody at all.  Its sad that these people who are at a pre-bronze to poor bronze level can teach but my partner and I who are at Pre-champ have to tell everyone no. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2009, 10:33:42 PM »

In this case having more people teaching at a lower level might just recruit a whole new bunch of dancers and actually enhance the income of the pros...

I have been saying this for a couple of years now.  If there was a "good" Am that could start people out then more people would get a chance to learn to dance.  I know that there is a huge shortage of instructors outside of Toronto but nobody is willing to leave.  This leaves a void that is being partly filled by "very" sub-standard people or nobody at all.  Its sad that these people who are at a pre-bronze to poor bronze level can teach but my partner and I who are at Pre-champ have to tell everyone no. 

So then what is the disadvantage of you both going pro and competeing pro?

Is competeing as both pros more exspensive than am?

Hm ....wonder if this should be for a new topic.

Advantages/ Disadvantages of competeing/working as an AM/AM & Pro/Pro? What do you think?

I think....i just do not understand the real differance of whether the partnerships says they are both pro or both am. does this make sense?

Like Nik & Natasha went to Blackpool as AM couple and now goes as a Pro couple. I know that they teach now as Pros.

I hear the "perks" are better as pros.

So what about AMs?

So confused. Huh
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 10:35:24 PM by emeralddancer » Logged

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2009, 10:44:13 PM »

If we teach in pre-champ we will not be allowed to compete anymore and thus no chance of going into champ.  I want to be able to finish the journey.  Another problem is that it would effect my partner as he would also lose out competing or have to try and find another partner.  All I could do is to be able to help people out but not teach to earn money.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 07:05:10 AM »

EM: the 'classical' competition sequence is to start in AM syllabus, continue through pre-champ up to championship and then, when you feel you peaked go pro.  There are parallel tracks for senior I or seinior II but there is no pro-senior.

The point is that once in pro there is only one catagory so if you enter at a big comp (blackpool say) you are competing directly against the world champions and even at a small comp you are likely to come up against a world-leve couple.  Thus, for most people the only way to achieve a significant result - that is winning a competition - is in the many catagories offered at AM.  For many couples once they have peaked at am going pro is basically a declaration of retirement form competition and the start of a teaching (or other) career in dance (or something else of course).

Thus, in Canada Rugby and her partner either compete in AM and don't teach (its not allowed except for national finalists) or go pro and compete against the top level of professional championship.  Good as they are I suspect this would not be a good idea at this stage...

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 12:35:55 PM »

EM: the 'classical' competition sequence is to start in AM syllabus, continue through pre-champ up to championship and then, when you feel you peaked go pro.  There are parallel tracks for senior I or seinior II but there is no pro-senior.

The point is that once in pro there is only one catagory so if you enter at a big comp (blackpool say) you are competing directly against the world champions and even at a small comp you are likely to come up against a world-leve couple.  Thus, for most people the only way to achieve a significant result - that is winning a competition - is in the many catagories offered at AM.  For many couples once they have peaked at am going pro is basically a declaration of retirement form competition and the start of a teaching (or other) career in dance (or something else of course).

Thus, in Canada Rugby and her partner either compete in AM and don't teach (its not allowed except for national finalists) or go pro and compete against the top level of professional championship.  Good as they are I suspect this would not be a good idea at this stage...

WoW....thanks Elsie for explaining. that helped alot!

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 01:37:28 PM »

In some countries like Germany and Japan there are different levels of professional. I don't think there are enough professionals in Canada to make several levels of professional as of yet. I seem to remember that Japan has a rule of what level/s are allowed to go to overseas competitions like British Open (in Blackpool), The International and The UK and as far as I remember it is only the highest or the two highest levels that are allowed to go.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 06:02:07 AM »

I had no idea that waas the case anywhere DSV - I assumed that it was similar in all countries - probably because there are no restrictions are there for pros to enter at Blackpool? 

There are no levels in the States either are there?  What about in England?

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 08:03:29 AM »

I had no idea that waas the case anywhere DSV - I assumed that it was similar in all countries - probably because there are no restrictions are there for pros to enter at Blackpool? 

There are no levels in the States either are there?  What about in England?

It is not the British Open organizers that put the restrictions on the Japanese couples. It is the Japanese organizations that do that. Already now, when you look in the program, you will see about every 3 - 5 couple being Japanese. If all the couples from Japan were allowed to enter, the week would have to be extended with one more week.

No there are no levels in the US as of right now; there are just not enough couples. I seem to remember there is only about enough couples for a semifinal at the Closed British last year.

If somebody know for sure please let us know.

Edward Teller
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 10:54:01 AM »

There are no levels in the States either are there? 

No; that would never get past the NDCA membership.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2009, 10:58:56 AM »

I think the NDCA would love it if they had so many members that they had to create levels in the professional ranks. More members would mean money and I am sure that would appreciated Wink

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2009, 07:59:04 AM »

I wish there was a 'Senior' level in pro - even if it was more carnival than competition.  That way we could see the past greats dance again in competition....

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2009, 10:14:37 AM »

I wish there was a 'Senior' level in pro - even if it was more carnival than competition.  That way we could see the past greats dance again in competition....

They tried to start a senior professional tour, back when I competed. There was just not enough interest for the idea to materialize.

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2009, 01:53:06 PM »

Was that in Europe?  My guess is that it would work better in NA.....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: